Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aeroplast PV-50 issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim.rupp(at)remax.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Aeroplast PV-50 issue Reply with quote

I haven’t investigated the source/cause yet, but all of the sudden (after ~200hrs) I had significant grease exiting around the root end of one of my three prop blades (Aeroplast PV-50 in-flight adjustable). It dotted my canopy a bit during the flight and after my flight there was a nice accumulation on the leading edge of my cowl. I’ll be checking it out later this week, but would appreciate any input, if by description someone else already knows what the issue is. While I’m on the topic, I’d also like to hear from anyone using the same prop (I don’t think there are many) regarding what range of pitch you are using on a 912S and whether any of you have used the constant speed controller.

Thanks,

Tim Rupp
 (512) 304-0029 mobile

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
barryjedwards(at)lineone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Aeroplast PV-50 issue Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I have been using the PV50 for around 13 years now and it has always leaked grease. It seems to get less over time as the grease in the prop disappears all over my canopy but it has never been a problem other than the mess it makes.

I do use the constant speed controller (UK designed model) and it works extremely well - I love it and would hate not to have it installed anymore.

Mine is on a 912 and I have no idea of the pitch range in degrees - the CS unit runs between 50 and 75% most of the time. If you leave the CS unit in cruise (without the manifold pressure transducer) and close the throttle, the pitch goes very fine and the aeroplane nearly stops dead in the air - you can really dive very steeply and not build up speed!

Hope this helps a little.

Barry
G-XPXP 912 Taildragger 975hrs UK
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

briana(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Aeroplast PV-50 issue Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I've been using the PV50 for 10 years. Performance is great, and the only trouble I have had was a burned out pitch motor after about 200 hours. Arplast sold me a later version replacement which is working fine.
I've had grease escaping since day one. I used to put a lot of grease in the hub, but that is a waste of time because it just ends up on the canopy and especially around the front of the cowling inlets - - and on the front of the engine. More recently, at each annual, I dismantle the hub and re-grease the thrust bearings and put a smear on the swashplate and the sleeve bearings on each blade. I still get get grease thrown around for a few flights afterwards, but it gradually becomes less. There is still plenty of grease in the hub bearings each time I have opened it.
I have the 912 also. No CS unit, but I modified the control unit so that the pitch readout is in degrees of blade angle. I have a range from 18 to 30 degrees available. Did a lot of flight testing originally to determine optimum settings. Normally I use 21.5 degrees for take-off [but watch the rpm as you climb out], cruise at 5000 rpm and 25.6 degrees [or thereabouts] at 120 knots, and maximum speed at 5400 rpm is at about 28 degrees.
Like Barry, I occasionally use a fine pitch setting if I want to slow more quickly for landing - - as long as I know for sure that I am not going to go around. Actually, for a go-around the normal take-off setting of 21.5 is too fine, as you are already doing say 60 or 70 knots, so if that is likely to occur I need to be quick on resetting the pitch or take care adding power to avoid over-reving the engine. [And as you probably know, the Pulsar will climb out very well with less than full power.]
Since yours is probably a later prop, I wonder if the O-ring seals have been improved to lessen the grease escaping. Perhaps one blade seal is now less effective.
Brian

On 1/02/2011, at 5:43 AM, Tim Rupp wrote:
Quote:
I haven’t investigated the source/cause yet, but all of the sudden (after ~200hrs) I had significant grease exiting around the root end of one of my three prop blades (Aeroplast PV-50 in-flight adjustable). It dotted my canopy a bit during the flight and after my flight there was a nice accumulation on the leading edge of my cowl. I’ll be checking it out later this week, but would appreciate any input, if by description someone else already knows what the issue is. While I’m on the topic, I’d also like to hear from anyone using the same prop (I don’t think there are many) regarding what range of pitch you are using on a 912S and whether any of you have used the constant speed controller.

Thanks,

Tim Rupp
(512) 304-0029 mobile

Quote:

style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: