Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IO-240B With the 15V 60A TCM altinator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: IO-240B With the 15V 60A TCM altinator Reply with quote

FYI,

I was fly a couple weeks ago and lost The Alt.

I determined that the Alt. was not producing power and removed it. I am sure Cont. could have made that job harder if they tried.

I found the Alt. was ok but the Alt. Drive Coupling Assembly (P/N 635796) was broken, the Lord rubber mount came loose from the ss shroud. Better if the Alt was bad.

The bad news is that Cont. wants $2077.00 for this part, no, the engine is not included!

The not so bad news is that Drake rebuilds them and they can be had for $600.00 to $900.00, with a good core.

I only had a little over 400 hrs. on the engine. I had to remove a Slick Mag to get the Alt. out, so I had the mag 500 hr service done. New points and replaced a bad gear. So for only a $1000.00 + I now have lots of amps & volts.

Hope you have the "good" ones!

Tim
[quote][b]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Keith.Miller(at)esa.int

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: IO-240B With the 15V 60A TCM altinator Reply with quote

Tim
that is not what I want to hear , my IO240B is just coming up to 400hrs ,
but thanks for sharing it with us anyway , at least the shock will be less
when it eventually happens to mine

Keith

To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com>

Date: 04/03/2011 04:09

Subject: IO-240B With the 15V 60A TCM altinator

Sent by: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com

FYI,

I was fly a couple weeks ago and lost The Alt.

I determined that the Alt. was not producing power and removed it. I am sure
Cont. could have made that job harder if they tried.

I found the Alt. was ok but the Alt. Drive Coupling Assembly (P/N 635796) was
broken, the Lord rubber mount came loose from the ss shroud. Better if the
Alt was bad.

The bad news is that Cont. wants $2077.00 for this part, no, the engine is
not included!

The not so bad news is that Drake rebuilds them and they can be had for
$600.00 to $900.00, with a good core.

I only had a little over 400 hrs. on the engine. I had to remove a Slick Mag
to get the Alt. out, so I had the mag 500 hr service done. New points and
replaced a bad gear. So for only a $1000.00 + I now have lots of amps &
volts.

Hope you have the "good" ones!

Tim

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Jackson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: IO-240B With the 15V 60A TCM altinator Reply with quote

Keith. My alternator drive coupling failed after about 50 hours. I put it down to kickback on startup and had the mags retarded a little. The original coupling was elastomeric and had failed in sheer. I managed to locate an alternative style that was mechanical but has rubber inserts for shock absorbtion. I got it second hand and from memory only cost about £100. John
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Keith.Miller(at)esa.int wrote:[quote] --> KIS-List message posted by: Keith.Miller(at)esa.int Tim that is not what I want to hear , my IO240B is just coming up to 400hrs , but thanks for sharing it with us anyway , at least the shock will be less when it eventually happens to mine Keith From: "F. Tim Yoder" <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com> To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com> Date: 04/03/2011 04:09 Subject: IO-240B With the 15V 60A TCM altinator Sent by: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com FYI, I was fly a couple weeks ago and lost The Alt. I determined that the Alt. was not producing power and removed it. I am sure Cont. could have made that job harder if they tried. I found the Alt. was ok but the Alt. Drive Coupling Assembly (P/N 635796) was broken, the Lord rubber mount came loose from the ss shroud. Better if the Alt was bad. The bad news is that Cont. wants $2077.00 for this part, no, the engine is not included! The not so bad news is that Drake rebuilds them and they can be had for $600.00 to $900.00, with a good core. I only had a little over 400 hrs. on the engine. I had to remove a Slick Mag to get the Alt. out, so I had the mag 500 hr service done. New points and replaced a bad gear. So for only a $1000.00 + I now have lots of amps & volts. Hope you have the "good" ones! [quote][b]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: IO-240B With the 15V 60A TCM altinator Reply with quote

John, Do you have part no's for the replacement parts?

Thanks, Tim
[quote] ---

John Jackson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: IO-240B With the 15V 60A TCM altinator Reply with quote

Tim.
I thought it lasted 50 hours, after checking the engine logbook it actually lasted 225 hours! Shows how quickly the pain dulls after the passage of time.
I removed part no. 635796 and replaced it with p/ns 531325, 530407, 632050, 653982 and 653983.
John
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

"F. Tim Yoder" <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com> wrote:[quote] John, Do you have part no's for the replacement parts?

Thanks, Tim
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: IO-240B With the 15V 60A TCM altinator Reply with quote

Thank you John, I will keep that info on file, as I am sure others will.

Tim
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: