Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard_trickel(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

ALFRED
based on your short discription I think that you must of had some spped at impact.  The windscreen can be replaced locally with flat stock cold bent to the contour.  Or you could make a pattern and use a little heat to give it a little curve.  If the tanks are not leaking I would bet that there is no problem with the wing.  The only problem maw be at the rear spar attach takinf an impact mave have loosened the spar bushings.  This is an easy repair.  If need be you could remove the wing and do a load test to limit loads with sand bags to satisfy th LAA. (Is Donaldson still running the show there).  This is not complicated.  Still would liketo see some pictures
Rich

--- On Thu, 3/3/11, BlueSkyFlier <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: Are your rudder pedals safe?
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 2:32 AM

Thank you everyone for commiserations expressed.

I am of course thoroughly gutted and miserable about the whole debacle, but spunk is nonetheless slowly seeping back into the spine. Tomorrow we shall take a serious look at the possibility of repairing the plane.

So very glad to hear that you are on the mend Rich!  You are right, it does take a lot to total her. You should see the other guy – and he was all metal. Suffice to say I now have a greatly increased respect and appreciation for the strength of a composite plane.

Since the engine will need a shock-load inspection anyway I’ll have it zero-timed in case we decide to repair her. The engine mounting and firewall seemed unperturbed on initial inspection. For the airframe we have two primary challenges (unless others come to light tomorrow)

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Oops - repairing a KIS Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Chuckle ... yes, going in a circle is a good way to get nowhere fast :O)

Judged by the eye, linear speed in the arc was 8-10 miles/hr when left wingtip connected the side of Cessna's tail section. The wing did flex backward a bit and the hinge of the flap actuator was bent approx half an inch out of line. The wing will have to come off anyway because flap actuator mechanism needs work and damage to bottom part of port side fairing is such that it needs to be replaced/rebuilt.

If you know where one can still get that fairing part plse let me know?

Good news is that there are no cracks whatsoever in fuselage or spar box attachment (which was built much stronger than specified) Firewall and engine mount is fine too. The plane had a huge aluminium spinner which absorbed most of the impact and shock.

Besides fixable damage to left wing tip front corner, other airframe damage is constrained to wing fairings and rudder actuator hinge mechanism. Photos will follow once insurance matters are resolved.

The list of glass fibre repair items include:

1) cowling top and bottom left front side
2) left wing fairing (extensive)
3) right wing fairing (negligible)
3) starboard side of tail fin (scratches and one small perforation)
4) left wing tip front corner
5) fibre panel to front of left flap actuator hinge has a hole in it.
6) topside of left wing has scratches and a shallow dent just to inside fuel cap but is not pulverised or cracked (from sliding underneath the tail section of Cessna)
7) port hatch to be re-attached and scratches on top side of cabin to be mended
Cool windscreen to be replaced

Rudder modifications, zero timed engine and complete repaint to round it all off.

Regards,
Alfred

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: oops Reply with quote

Good news bears! Heard from the insurance today that hull insured value is to be paid out in full and also received the release documents to be signed.

Negotiation for acquiring the salvage can now begin - once I have dropped the wing.

Plans to drop the wing on Wednesday were scuppered by a disk crash on my laptop Tuesday evening, which kept me going non-stop till Wednesday afternoon to get untangled. Have to get to to it now before signing over the release; it may affect my decision to repurchase the salvage.

In the current market I hope not to have much competition for buying the scrapped plane.

Regards,
Alfred

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: