Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capacitance fuel level senders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
briana(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Capacitance fuel level senders Reply with quote

Well, my woes with the capacitance senders is not over. One, the one that has always caused the most trouble intermittently for a long time, now seems to want to read full scale continuously, regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. Some violent and out of balance manoeuvers on my last flight didn't resolve the problem by sloshing the fuel around, so it looks like the next step is to pull the wing, remove the sender and investigate.

The sender is one of the earlier type that simulates a standard 240 ohm output, to a dual Westach gauge.

The question is - - - do I replace the sender only with the same type [the economical solution], or do I replace both senders with the later 5V output type, necessitating replacing the gauge too [the expensive solution]. My current gauge is nicely calibrated in litres too, so it would require more work to fix that with a gauge change, and also a small wiring change for the new senders.

I know that a number of people have had some problems with these senders. Is it only the earlier 240 type senders that have had problems. Perhaps the issues have been sorted with the later 5V versions.

I still prefer the capacitance senders, especially after flying the C-152 for a few hours in the past week. It's fuel gauges were only useful to determine that yes, there was some fuel in the tanks. The needles flopped around so much it was impossible to determine the amount of fuel, other than to say that it might have been 1/2 full, maybe. Estimating how much might have been left in the tanks was impossible.

Brian

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
gregsmi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Capacitance fuel level senders Reply with quote

Brian, you may have something lodged in the tube, causing the bad readings. I would pull the sender and check it closely, maybe a good cleaning will fix it. Once it is out, it is very easy to test, and it may be a one day fix. After fifteen years, mine has started to act up and I suspect that may be the case. I have calibrated it several times, going from auto to avgas, so maybe I have done that one too many times also. But, it has been pretty good for fifteen years. Who knows, maybe all those gasoline additives have done something to it.

Take care, fly safe.
Greg

In a message dated 3/20/2011 2:10:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time, briana(at)xtra.co.nz writes:
Quote:
--> Pulsar-List message posted by: Brian Anderson <briana(at)xtra.co.nz>

Well, my woes with the capacitance senders is not over. One, the one that has always caused the most trouble intermittently for a long time, now seems to want to read full scale continuously, regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. Some violent and out of balance manoeuvers on my last flight didn't resolve the problem by sloshing the fuel around, so it looks like the next step is to pull the wing, remove the sender and investigate.

The sender is one of the earlier type that simulates a standard 240 ohm output, to a dual Westach gauge.

The question is - - - do I replace the sender only with the same type [the economical solution], or do I replace both senders with the later 5V output type, necessitating replacing the gauge too [the expensive solution]. My current gauge is nicely calibrated in litres too, so it would require more work to fix that with a gauge change, and also a small wiring change for the new senders.

I know that a number of people have had some problems with these senders. Is it only the earlier 240 type senders that have had problems. Perhaps the issues have been sorted with the later 5V versions.

I still prefer the capacitance senders, especially after flying the C-152 for a few hours in the past week. It's fuel gauges were only useful to determine that yes, there was some fuel in the tanks. The needles flopped around so much it was impossible to determine the amount of fuel, other than to say that it might have been 1/2 full, maybe. Estimating how much might have been left in the tanks was the ies ay - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - List Contribution Web Site p;  

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pulsar331(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Capacitance fuel level senders Reply with quote

If you have the end plates off for repairs, you might consider adding low fuel warning ([url=http://www.aircraftextras.com/FuelSensor1.htm) ]http://www.aircraftextras.com/FuelSensor1.htm)  [/url] at that time. I added them a couple years ago and really like the way they work. Not too easy to install because you have to remove the end plates, but if you are going to have the plates off anyway its a good time to put them in.

My Pulsar XP has the resistance sending units provided with the kit. I never considered them to be much use as the guages bounce around and couldn't possibly be accurate throughout the full range anyway. In fact, they are only there to meet the 'letter of the law' requirement. I cover them up with a timer Velcroed over the instrument. I know my fuel burn is 4 gallons per hour and I can judge visually how much fuel is in the tank during pre-flight. I then always use a conservative estimate of fuel and use the timers from that point. For example, if the if I cannot see fuel in the tank, I consider that tank to be empty; if fuel just covers the bottom at the outer end, I know the tank is half full, etc.. The count down timer for each tank is set to two hours when I fill up and keeps track of that tank until I fill again. Just in case something goes wrong, such as a leak in flight, or missed timer setting, I have the low fuel warning system as backup. I feel this system is much more reliable than any type of guage.

If you should go for the low fuel warning system I recommended here, make sure you ask for the 5 second delay option or they will give false warnings. The system works great - I can shift fuel to the outside end of the tank by holding rudder - then count to five - and the light goes on every time. I have the warning set to go off when I have one gallon left in the tank - works great.

Hope that helps,
Bill

To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sun, March 20, 2011 8:20:43 AM
Subject: Re: Capacitance fuel level senders

Brian, you may have something lodged in the tube, causing the bad readings. I would pull the sender and check it closely, maybe a good cleaning will fix it. Once it is out, it is very easy to test, and it may be a one day fix. After fifteen years, mine has started to act up and I suspect that may be the case. I have calibrated it several times, going from auto to avgas, so maybe I have done that one too many times also. But, it has been pretty good for fifteen years. Who knows, maybe all those gasoline additives have done something to it.

Take care, fly safe.
Greg

In a message dated 3/20/2011 2:10:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time, briana(at)xtra.co.nz writes:
Quote:
--> Pulsar-List message posted by: Brian Anderson <briana(at)xtra.co.nz>

I still prefer the capacitance senders, especially after flying the C-152 for a few hours in the past week. It's fuel gauges were only useful to determine that yes, there was some fuel in the tanks. The needles flopped around so much it was impossible to determine the amount of fuel, other than to say that it might have been 1/2 full, maybe. Estimating how much might have been left in the tanks was the ies ay   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - List Contribution Web Site p;  

[quote][b][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: