Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydraulic Brake System Master Cylinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgmckay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Hydraulic Brake System Master Cylinder Reply with quote

I am bleeding the brake system on my Allegro 2000. I notice that on top of the small master cylinder there is a pin size hole, and a larger but still small hole with a threaded set screw. Can any one tell me the function of these, and are they used in any way during the bleeding process?

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Senior Consultant
Worldwide Engineering Inc.
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net
http://www.wwegeo.com

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List

Hugh.vcf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Hugh.vcf
 Filesize:  364 Bytes
 Downloaded:  652 Time(s)

Brian Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Hydraulic Brake System Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Hugh,
I have bled brakes on my 2006. The small pin hole seems to just be an overflow. If I put too much Dot 3/4 in it overflows out the small pin hole when tightening the top onto the master cylinder. I do not have the other hole with set screw you mention. If you are replacing all fluid I found it easier to fill from the bottom up, both sides at the same time. Method requires two small pump cans with plastic hose over the brake nipples.. Worked better for me..
I cannot see and reason for this..Except maybe another way to add fluid instead of removing the screw top of the cylinder?????

Good luck,
Brian N3081x
Taylor Az
928-205-8300

--- On Mon, 4/11/11, Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Allegro-List: Hydraulic Brake System Master Cylinder
To: allegro-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, April 11, 2011, 12:43 PM

I am bleeding the brake system on my Allegro 2000. I notice that on top of the small master cylinder there is a pin size hole, and a larger but still small hole with a threaded set screw. Can any one tell me the function of these, and are they used in any way during the bleeding process?

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Senior Consultant
Worldwide Engineering Inc.
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net
http://www.wwegeo.com

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

aerosiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Brake System Master Cylinder Reply with quote

I agree wth Brian's comments

The pinhole is presumably the breather and can also be used to top up cleanly with a hypodermic needle.

I replaced the disk pads and bled the system a couple of years ago. One point is that there are TINY fluid transfer holes in the bottom of the piston which need to be cleaned and checked. From memory, the set screw protrudes exactly between the ears of the circlip below. If they are not lined up, the set screw will not screw down.

Recently I renewed all the seals in the whole system but the original Evektor master cylinder didn't feel soild so I replaced it with a Matco which works great. The outlets are at 90 degrees to the original and the vertical mounting post had to be elongated but otherwise it was a simple swop.

I use silicon DOT 5 because of the humidity in Thailand (and it is safe on paintwork)

Paul

brad(at)vision-technology

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Hydraulic Brake System Master Cylinder Reply with quote

The Allegro manual has a bleeding procedure that is basically just quickly pumping the handle. My A&P didn't think it made sense, but it worked. (at least for minor air near the top of the system) I also found it really helpful to have a syringe with a flexible attachment end where the needle usually goes (don't know the name... got it from my wife who works at a vet clinic).

I did a lot of troubleshooting before realizing my problem was the rubber plunger tip on the cylinder. I was quickly able to get a new one from B Bar D. So if you have soft brakes that is one thing to check.

As for B Bar D and recent news about getting back into production and parts, I'm happy to say that after I recently reminded them I was waiting for a wing-tip light cover for almost a year, within a few days I received one, with a note of apology for the delay and no charge. Seems like a sign of good things to come.

Maybe next I'll write to them and say I have been waiting for a 100 hp Rotax upgrade for over a year, along with wing tanks, and see if those are free too.

Brad Kramer
N221FA
Bismarck ND

[quote]--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: