Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slatless 701

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobkat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

I flew my 701 for 2 1/2 years with slats and bare aluminum, then this winter I finally painted it and put wings back on, etc. I had previously recorded numbers with slats, then slatless, and for the first time today flew it with VG's. These are my first impressions with no slats and VG's. Unfortunately I only had a short flight and it was a bumpy windy day. I had screwed up my pitot tube connection and my electric trim tab needed tweaking so I had to keep some forward pressure on during the flight.
When I took off I immediately realized that it was quite a different airplane. Just eyeballing my airspeed indicator and not timing anything, I think I gained a good 8 - 10 knots, maybe a hair more. It's not an SR-71 but I think I can fly wing to wing with my buddies 150's. Initial impression was that it seemed to climb as fast at a less steep angle than with VG's.
Mods include PVC fairings, paint, no slats but VG's, and cleaning up a lot of little things here and there. Next few days are lousy weather but anxious to get up and do some reasonably accurate recordings of new V speeds, stall ,etc. I fixed all the little glitches from this flight and ready again for launch!
I did note it seems to land differently. My one gusty crosswind landing was kind of lousy, but I felt the plane gliding more, and ballooning more when I flared. I think I came in too fast which didn't help, either. With slats the plane would have slowed rapidly and thunked down and stayed at that speed, but with the VG's it seemed to float and balloon down the runway noticably more. About how it acted slatless. I think my approach speed needs to be lessened.
I'll report when I get my new V speeds measured.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
dons701

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

Thanks, bobkat.
Look forward to further reports on the changes. I noticed you mentioned strut fairings which I have been contemplating for too long and need to get going. I searched for "PVC struts" and found a company in Ohio who claims to be running a special, four extruded struts eight foot long for $150 plus shipping. fly 103.com. I have seen prices up to $200. Sorry for stepping on your post but, I know others will find this and your information helpful. Thanks, Don B

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Zenith 701 #76120
Jabiru 2200A #2456 95 hours
Sensenich Wood 64-PJ-36 Prop
bobkat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

No problem Don. I don't have the paperwork as its all in the hangar, but it
was a company from Ohio so that's the likely the one. All four struts can't
weigh a pound, if that, and they were easy to put on. They are secured by
the bolt that attaches to the jury strut and fit tightly so that you have to
tap them on, so they definitely are easy to mount.
The only problem I had was that the paint didn't do quite as good a job on
the struts as the rest of the plane, for some reason - maybe I scuffed it up
too much or too little, though it seems to stick fine, just not as smooth.
As I went to VG's and the streamlined struts and did a lot of other little
cleanup jobs, if I get an increase in speed I won't know exactly where it
came from.
WOW, Francisco, your upholstery looks fantastic!

--

ronlee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

bobkat
How many pounds did the paint increase the weight of your airplane?
How much did it affect the weight and balance?

bobkat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

I think about 6, maybe 8 pounds. I took off the slats which weigh a bit,
and installed a couple of baggage compartment doors and put in a removable
armrest and added a top and tail strobe, so it’s a bit difficult to say what
weighs what, but overall empty weight turned out 1 pound more. W & B was
negligible, a tiny bit aft. I think most of the liquid in the paint must
flare off.
I have 4 wing tanks and only used the inboard two up to now. For some
reason I developed a leak in the right inboard one - maybe a tank seam or
connection in the wing from turning it and flipping it around, etc. I
didn't make the tanks accessible during their construction so for the time
being I'll use the two outboard tanks. Though the plans don't call for it,
I'd recommend that access to the tanks through the top of the wing be built
into the plane, for anyone at that stage. Mine are all surrounded in cork
with no metal touching metal, but the thing still sprung a small leak!
Makes me think it’s a seam or the fuel line connector, though I used
aluminum throughout the wing to the root!?
During the first post paint flight the OLED panel on my new Icom radio
sputtered a bit then died. Always something.....
--

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

So how do you align the strut fairings? Use the top of the fuselage as level
and align them with that?

-- Craig

--

bobkat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

I put my fairings on when I had it all apart for painting. I lined them up
as well as I could, assuming where the top or bottom of the wing would be,
and rather than a round hole where the jury struts bolted on I cut a short
slot in the fairings for adjustment of the fairing once it was eventually on
the plane. I must have lucked out because its looks bang on to my naked
eye, but once I get further into the test phase with no slats, etc. I might
adjust them a bit if necessary. So far though, the plane seems to track
straight, etc and the fairings look (to my eye) parallel to the axis of the
plane. .
BTW, the fairing people is streamlineco(at)yahoo.com and they are in
Holmsville, Ohio. The fairings came packed extremely well.

--

bobkat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

BTW, don't worry about them moving or securing them. They are tight enough
that you have to tap them over the steel strut, so make sure you have them
pretty close when you start. It helped to lube the steel strut before
driving them on, and I used a chunk of 2X4 square against the fairing to
bang on and placed the other end of the strut against the junction of the
wall and floor of the shop. Once on, I had to clamp the end of the strut in
a vice to be able to turn them and adjust them, and with the slots over the
hole final adjustment could be done while on the plane. They are TIGHT, so
line them up as close as you can when sliding them on, as they are hard to
move once on.

--

jgswartout(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

What is the diameter of your lift struts on the 701? I expect I will put plastic fairings on my 801, and the only ones I've seen (two sizes)available are from the Li'l Hustler's Ultralight Store at http://www.ultralightnews.ca/streamlinedfairings/1.html I think my struts are 1.25" diameter but I'm away from the plane today and can't swear to that.

John
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM, BobKat <bobkat(at)btinet.net (bobkat(at)btinet.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "BobKat" <bobkat(at)btinet.net (bobkat(at)btinet.net)>
I put my fairings on when I had it all apart for painting. I lined them up as well as I could, assuming where the top or bottom of the wing would be, and rather than a round hole where the jury struts bolted on I cut a short slot in the fairings for adjustment of the fairing once it was eventually on the plane. I must have lucked out because its looks bang on to my naked eye, but once I get further into the test phase with no slats, etc. I might adjust them a bit if necessary. So far though, the plane seems to track straight, etc and the fairings look (to my eye) parallel to the axis of the plane. .
BTW, the fairing people is streamlineco(at)yahoo.com (streamlineco(at)yahoo.com) and they are in Holmsville, Ohio. The fairings came packed extremely well.

--

bobkat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

I don’t know, John. I don’t have my plans here but on m y invoice it looks like I received 4 “Small Fairings” and they fit perfectly. The seller, knew what size the 701 took and whatever size he sent fit perfectly. If I recall, he had two sizes, small and large, and he sent the small.

Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:19 AM
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com (zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Re: Slatless 701

What is the diameter of your lift struts on the 701? I expect I will put plastic fairings on my 801, and the only ones I've seen (two sizes) available are from the Li'l Hustler's Ultralight Store at http://www.ultralightnews.ca/streamlinedfairings/1.html I think my struts are 1.25" diameter but I'm away from the plane today and can't swear to that.

John
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM, BobKat <bobkat(at)btinet.net (bobkat(at)btinet.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "BobKat" <bobkat(at)btinet.net (bobkat(at)btinet.net)>
I put my fairings on when I had it all apart for painting. I lined them up as well as I could, assuming where the top or bottom of the wing would be, and rather than a round hole where the jury struts bolted on I cut a short slot in the fairings for adjustment of the fairing once it was eventually on the plane. I must have lucked out because its looks bang on to my naked eye, but once I get further into the test phase with no slats, etc. I might adjust them a bit if necessary. So far though, the plane seems to track straight, etc and the fairings look (to my eye) parallel to the axis of the plane. .
BTW, the fairing people is streamlineco(at)yahoo.com (streamlineco(at)yahoo.com) and they are in Holmsville, Ohio. The fairings came packed extremely well.

--

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Slatless 701 Reply with quote

Thanks!

-- Craig

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: