Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

johnson airspeed indicator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piep

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Is anybody going to Broadhead that might have a "Johnson" style airspeed indicator that you would consider selling? Or even if you are not going to Broadhead, I would be interested, if you could email me at: charles.w.mcfarland(at)gmail.com. Any condition would be ok as it would be used for a pattern.
Thanks,
Charlie

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
yocum137

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Charlie,

If you want a Johnson *style* ASI, there are plans out there in the
Sport Aviation archives.

In fact, I've got a copy of the plans, which I've attached.

Cheers,
Dan

PS I've also attached an old matronics email on the subject.

On 06/16/2011 12:02 AM, Piep wrote:
Quote:

Is anybody going to Broadhead that might have a "Johnson" style airspeed indicator that you would consider selling? Or even if you are not going to Broadhead, I would be interested, if you could email me at: charles.w.mcfarland(at)gmail.com. Any condition would be ok as it would be used for a pattern.
Thanks,
Charlie

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=343146#343146

--
Dan Yocum
Fermilab 630.840.6509
yocum(at)fnal.gov, http://fermigrid.fnal.gov
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things."

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Johnson_Airspeed.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Johnson_Airspeed.pdf
 Filesize:  270.42 KB
 Downloaded:  697 Time(s)

johnson-asi.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  johnson-asi.txt
 Filesize:  2 KB
 Downloaded:  228 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gboothe5(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Charlie,

Additionally, I recall that PF Beck was selling a version of these at Brodhead (note sp. Don’t want you to get in trouble with certain purists) '09.

Gary

--

Piep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Dan,
Thanks for the reply and for your effort in finding the information for me. I'll get right on it. Will you be going to Broadhead? I owe you a drink.
Charlie

Piep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Gary,
Thanks to you as well. I will keep trying to find Pfbeck although his listed email of pfbeck(at)barnwellsc.com no longer seems to be a valid address.

I am pretty new to the forum and the "Piet" world as well, so am not sure what you are referring to as far as "certain purists" goes.

I also ran across an old post by Kari-Ann Price who sells aftermarket kits.

Thanks again,
Charlie

gboothe5(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Charlie,

3 yrs ago I was a newcomer, too, and relish those memories of excitement. You are now amongst the finest group of aviators, near-to-be aviators and aircraft builders in the world (present company excepted). However...

As a newcomer, you will be allowed only a few transgressions of mis-spelling Brodhead...the Holiest of Holy Places in the Piet community. If you continue to mis-spell Brodhead, in a very short time, you will receive a curt reply from a certain former Marine, reminding you of the correct spelling of Brodhead. If the transgression continues, you will begin to see unwonted items show up in your mailbox at home...further transgressions will prompt a home visit from said surely, former Marine, forcibly reminding you of the correct spelling of Brodhead. He may even have a following of "certain purists", all good, well-intentioned fellows, but serious non the less.

Just don't want that happen to you! Hope you make it to Brodhead this year. If you do, please look for me!

Gary
---

curtdm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Here's your Curt reply, but I'm not a Marine. Not that there is anything wrong with Marines who can't spell Brodhead.

Curt Merdan
Flower Mound, TX

Do not archive

Piep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Gary,
Thanks. I guess I owe you two drinks now! I unfortunately won't have time to bring the airplane, but plan on driving up to BRODHEAD this year. I'll look for you there.
Charlie[/u][/b]

Ryan Mueller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Unfortunately he was too busy this morning to hop in on this thread and ask...where's Broadhead?

do not archive

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:43 AM, <gboothe5(at)comcast.net (gboothe5(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: gboothe5(at)comcast.net (gboothe5(at)comcast.net)

Charlie,

3 yrs ago I was a newcomer, too, and relish those memories of excitement. You are now amongst the finest group of aviators, near-to-be aviators and aircraft builders in the world (present company excepted). However...

As a newcomer, you will be allowed only a few transgressions of mis-spelling Brodhead...the Holiest of Holy Places in the Piet community. If you continue to mis-spell Brodhead, in a very short time, you will receive a curt reply from a certain former Marine, reminding you of the correct spelling of Brodhead. If the transgression continues, you will begin to see unwonted items show up in your mailbox at home...further transgressions will prompt a home visit from said surely, former Marine, forcibly reminding you of the correct spelling of Brodhead. He may even have a following of "certain purists", all good, well-intentioned fellows, but serious non the less.

Just don't want that happen to you! Hope you make it to Brodhead this year. If you do, please look for me!

Gary
---

K5YAC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Piep wrote:
Gary,
Thanks. I guess I owe you two drinks now! I unfortunately won't have time to bring the airplane, but plan on driving up to BRODHEAD this year. I'll look for you there.
Charlie[/u][/b]

You'll have no problem finding Gary... he'll be the guy in a headlock, having a knot popped on his head by said former Marine. Ha!

http://www.westcoastpiet.com/images/Mark%20Chouinard/pictures.htm
Piep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Mark,
Thanks for the info. I'll look for that scene to play out up there. Where are you located? I am over at Lake Tenkiller working on the Piet today and will be flying it this afternoon.
Charlie

Amsafetyc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Always if one is able to reply in discussion with one holding seasoned status in the exact language and presentation accuracy of a celibrated cult classic there may be redemption available and granted in which case "smile son don't disconcert the masses"

A little advice to the wise. I known you're a darn good pilot but barnstorming isn't what it used to be and now you want a job in my flying circus do you got an act?

Catch my drift?

Do not archive less you have an act

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless
-----Original message-----
[quote]From: Ryan Mueller <rmueller23(at)gmail.com>
To:
pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com
Sent:
Thu, Jun 16, 2011 19:38:39 GMT+00:00
Subject:
Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: johnson airspeed indicator
Unfortunately he was too busy this morning to hop in on this thread and ask....where's Broadhead?

do not archive

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:43 AM, <gboothe5(at)comcast.net (gboothe5(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: gboothe5(at)comcast.net (gboothe5(at)comcast.net)

Charlie,

Gary
---

K5YAC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Hey Charlie! I'm over here at Gundy's Airport (O38)... home of Chapter 10. I've been working on my project here for a little over two years. Came down to your neck of the woods a couple of months ago for the Wild Onion and Eggs Fly-In. We were planning to camp there the last couple of years, but the weather... wow! Can't catch a break.

You going to Brodhead this year? What about any of the local events?

jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

John, John, John,

Do you think this pack of jackals wants to see a good pilot? They want BLOOD!
do not archive.

John Hofmann
Vice-President, Information Technology
The Rees Group, Inc.
2424 American Lane
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: 608.443.2468 ext 150
Fax: 608.443.2474
Email: jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.com (jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.com)

On Jun 16, 2011, at 4:24 PM, amsafetyc(at)aol.com (amsafetyc(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote]Always if one is able to reply in discussion with one holding seasoned status in the exact language and presentation accuracy of a celibrated cult classic there may be redemption available and granted in which case "smile son don't disconcert the masses"

A little advice to the wise. I known you're a darn good pilot but barnstorming isn't what it used to be and now you want a job in my flying circus do you got an act?

Catch my drift?

[quote]From: Ryan Mueller <rmueller23(at)gmail.com (rmueller23(at)gmail.com)>
To:
pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent:
Subject:
Re: Re: johnson airspeed indicator
Unfortunately he was too busy this morning to hop in on this thread and ask....where's Broadhead?

do not archive

Charlie,

Gary
---

amsafetyc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Sudden death is my business not good pilots. I lose the crowd at the end of the month. Ill give ya the same deal as everybody else. You come up with an act where they think you're gonna die wait where they know you're gonna die and ill put ya on

You might want to try wing walking I here its popular down south

John

Do not archive

[quote]From: John Hofmann <jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.com>
To:
pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com
Sent:
Thu, Jun 16, 2011 21:56:17 GMT+00:00
Subject:
John, John, John,

Do you think this pack of jackals wants to see a good pilot? They want BLOOD!
do not archive.

John Hofmann
Vice-President, Information Technology
The Rees Group, Inc.
2424 American Lane
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: 608.443.2468 ext 150
Fax: 608.443.2474
Email: jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.com (jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.com)

On Jun 16, 2011, at 4:24 PM, amsafetyc(at)aol.com (amsafetyc(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote]Always if one is able to reply in discussion with one holding seasoned status in the exact language and presentation accuracy of a celibrated cult classic there may be redemption available and granted in which case "smile son don't disconcert the masses"

Catch my drift?

[quote]From: Ryan Mueller <rmueller23(at)gmail.com (rmueller23(at)gmail.com)>
To: 
pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: 
Subject: 

do not archive

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:43 AM, <gboothe5(at)comcast.net (gboothe5(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: gboothe5(at)comcast.net (gboothe5(at)comcast.net)

Charlie,

Gary
---

gboothe5(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

I have a feeling that said former Marine will have to stand in line!

Gary
Do not archive
---

Piep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
Yep. I am about 3 miles south of the Cookson Airport which hosts the Wild Onions and Eggs fly-in. Snake Creek Wilderness is a paved strip on the mountain top 3,500 ft long and 150 ft. wide. The next time you are in the area, give me a call.
Charlie

K5YAC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Will do Charlie. Seems that I saw another event listed down there in the Vintage newsletter.

Just wanted to add this so I could help keep the thread on topic.

Rogers asked-

Does anyone know where I can find some info to build an old fashion Johnson airspeed indicator?

Nobody really answered his question. I asked the same question a while back and someone very promptly sent me two close-up photos of their Johnson setup (one static, one in flight) but I don't remember who it was (black wing struts, yellow wings). Probably Chuck "Baby Oil" Gantzer or Ed Grentzer. I would be glad to send out those photos to anyone who wants them; you could easily build one just like it by eyeball, along with this narrative info found in the archives:
=============
It uses a .047" music wire, with 2 1/2 coils, and has a leg that is bent perpendicular to lock the coil from rotating, and is inserted into the back plate. The coil is 3/4" in diameter and is spaced off the backing plate with a threaded thru bushing that is 3/8" long. From the center of the coil, to the tip of the pointer, is 7". The bushing that is in the center of the coil is 3/8" diameter and is about 3/32" long. The bolt is about a #6, and on each side of the coil is a plastic washer that is 7/8" O.D. The coil and pivot point is covered with a molded plastic teardrop shape fairing, and has a slot cut for the pointer to travel in. The sweep of the arc is 70. The backing plate with the indicator markings is .040 aluminum, probably 2024. The numbers are 20 thru 90 mph. The angle plate that the relative wind pushes against is 1 1/4" X 2 1/8" X .030" thick, with the pointer is on the 3/8" leg of this angle, which is next to the backing plate. To attach the music wire to the angle plate, it has a small aluminum block that measures 1/4" X 1/4" X 3/4". The .040" wire is drilled thru length wise, and has two #2 (or smaller) set screws to secure the plate, wire, and block.

================

Oscar Zuniga
San Antonio, TX
mailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.com
website at http://www.flysquirrel.net

gboothe5(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Charlie,

Here's the email I have for PF Beck: pfbeck(at)bellsouth.net

Good luck,
Gary

--

Piep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: johnson airspeed indicator Reply with quote

Thanks, Gary. I will try to contact him. What a great forum! Thanks to everyone who replied. I look forward to being part of the group.
Charlie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: