Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutting Control Cables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vmenkal(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Cutting Control Cables Reply with quote

Appreciate advice on methods for cutting engine control cables to length. Leaving lots of skinned nuckles on my firewall so Im assuming Im doing it incorrectly. Also if anyone is using an ammeter shunt, would appreciate your thoughts on insulating. Seems like a lot of exposed positive metal waiting to short out. Is it OK to insulate with heat shrink etc or would it over heat?

Cpt Vic
Whitehorse Yukon

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
JohnDRead(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Cutting Control Cables Reply with quote

Hi Cpt Vic,
  I was shown how to cut stranded control cable by a guy who builds Cozy's. He showed me how to use a pair of line men's pliers to cut stranded control cable. Place the cable in the pliers sideways on a firm surface hit the top side of the pliers jaws with a hammer. The cut will be clean and the cable will not fray. I was skeptical but it works fine.
Re the shunt I would leave it in clear air.

Regards, John

CH701 - Colorado - Jabiru 3300

Cell: 719-494-4567
Home: 303-648-3261

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Harvey Richards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting Control Cables Reply with quote

I just drew the center wire out, cut in vise at slight angle then filed. Then put the center wire in and cut that to length.

vmenkal(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Cutting control cables Reply with quote

Hi John. The cables Im working with all have solid core control wire. The issue Im trying to solve is cutting the spiral wound outer sleeve. Tried using cut off wheel on dremel tool but the heat melts the inner antifriction sleeve. Appreciate the help.
Cheers Vic
Victor Menkal,P.Eng.
Vista Tek Ltd.
803 Wood Street
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Y1A 2G6
1 867 334-5330
vmenkal(at)mac.com (vmenkal(at)mac.com)

dougsnash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Cutting control cables Reply with quote

When I did mine, I pulled back the inner cable and cut the spiral sleave with a good set of diagnal (side) cutters. The spiral is tough stuff but it worked well for me.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 from Scratch
NW Ontario, Canada

Do not archive

To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Mon, June 27, 2011 10:42:12 AM
Subject: Cutting control cables

Hi John. The cables Im working with all have solid core control wire. The issue Im trying to solve is cutting the spiral wound outer sleeve. Tried using cut off wheel on dremel tool but the heat melts the inner antifriction sleeve. Appreciate the help.

Cheers Vic

Victor Menkal,P.Eng.
Vista Tek Ltd.
803 Wood Street
Y1A 2G6
1 867 334-5330

[quote][b]

Tommy Walker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Cutting control cables Reply with quote

Hi,I used a fine tooth hack saw and then dressed up the inner sleeve with a small pointed round file.
Tommy Walker
Do Not Archive

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Victor Menkal <vmenkal(at)mac.com (vmenkal(at)mac.com)> wrote:
[quote]Hi John.   The cables Im working with all have solid core control wire.    The issue Im trying to solve is cutting the spiral wound outer sleeve.    Tried using cut off wheel on dremel tool but the heat melts the inner antifriction sleeve.    Appreciate the help.
Cheers Vic
Victor Menkal,P.Eng.
Vista Tek Ltd.
803 Wood Street
Y1A 2G6
1 867 334-5330

[b]

bobkat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Cutting Control Cables Reply with quote

I use a dremel tool with a little cut off cutting thing.

--

hletkeman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting Control Cables Reply with quote

I used a small angle grinder to cut the cable, then slid a short piece of heat shrink over the end and shrunk it. Looks nice.
For the Dynon amp shunt, I used a 4 inch piece of the black ribbed 3/4in thick conduit, and opened it and zip tied it over the shunt. I opened small slits on the side of the conduit for the lead cables to come out of the contraption. So now I can work in peace on the wiring, knowing I will not accidentally touch the shunt with another cable and start a nuclear reaction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: