Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OIL PUMP Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: OIL PUMP Question Reply with quote

Hi,

Hope you guys can help me with this.

I have an M 332 and am now getting round to installing it.

I have attached a photo of components that came with the motor that I do not know what they attach to. If you could advise me I would appreciate it.

I have also attached a photo of the oil pump. I presume that what I have marked as "A" is the oil intake from the oil tank and "B" is the return to the oil tank, please confirm.

What type of thread is on outlet "B" and where can I find a fitting for this? The one way valve in the picture does not screw onto this fitting.

The installation manual page 5-5 shows the oil system with item 6 a "thermostat safety valve". Is this built into the engine or do I need a separate unit.

Where do I access item 7 on that diagram the "oil filter chamber"

Thanks for your help

Regards

Mike

- The Matronics Lom-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lom-List

lom_forum_029.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.32 KB
 Viewed:  3817 Time(s)

lom_forum_029.jpg

lom_forum_030.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.27 KB
 Viewed:  3817 Time(s)

lom_forum_030.jpg

sbeaver(at)columbus.rr.co

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: OIL PUMP Question Reply with quote

A is oil return to tank.

Steve--
Wingardium Leviosa

On Oct 21, 2011, at 6:34 PM, "Mike Pienaar" <mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca (mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:

[quote] Hi,

I have attached a photo of components that came with the motor that I do not know what they attach to. If you could advise me I would appreciate it.

I have also attached a photo of the oil pump. I presume that what I have marked as "A" is the oil intake from the oil tank and "B" is the return to the oil tank, please confirm.

What type of thread is on outlet "B" and where can I find a fitting for this? The one way valve in the picture does not screw onto this fitting.

The installation manual page 5-5 shows the oil system with item 6 a "thermostat safety valve". Is this built into the engine or do I need a separate unit.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Mike

<lom forum 029.jpg>
<lom forum 030.jpg>
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: OIL PUMP Question Reply with quote

B is not an oil fitting. It's the tach drive.

Steve--
Wingardium Leviosa

On Oct 21, 2011, at 6:34 PM, "Mike Pienaar" <mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca (mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:

[quote] Hi,

Thanks for your help

Regards

Mike

<lom forum 029.jpg>
<lom forum 030.jpg>
[b]

mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: OIL PUMP Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I had another look at the engine to-day, cannot see where the oil inlet could be. Any chance that someone could describe where the oil inlet is located?

If I am not using the tach drive how do I cover it up?

Thanks

Mike
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: OIL PUMP Question Reply with quote

There is a threaded cap that closes off that port when not in use, but you don’t really need it. You can just leave it open, or you can use it to drive a tach. UMA instruments make (but do not advertise) a tach generator for the LOM drive. It is designed to operate their 3 1/8” tach with hour meter.

I can show you a picture of a spare pump that I have which shows the oil ports:

[img]cid:3402338621_215599[/img]
Notice that you can use either of two inlets. The non-return valve I identified in your earlier posting screws into this. The oil inlet hose then attached to that valve.

A standard American oil temp probe will screw into the fitting on the botton of the oil screen chamber.

Steve

On 10/24/11 9:11 PM, "Mike Pienaar" <[url=mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca]mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca[/url]> wrote:

[quote]Thanks for the help, I had another look at the engine to-day, cannot see where the oil inlet could be. Any chance that someone could describe where the oil inlet is located?

If I am not using the tach drive how do I cover it up?

Thanks

Mike
[quote]
---

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.43 KB
 Viewed:  3790 Time(s)

image.jpg

mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: OIL PUMP Question Reply with quote

Thank you very much for putting in so much effort. That really helped me a lot. My pump is slightly different as it has only one inlet but the one way valve does screw straight in.

Now my next problem, any ideas on where I can find an adapter to fit on the end of the one way valve that will enable an AN fitting to be used?

Am I correct in thinking that there is no thermostatically controlled by-pass valve fitted. If anybody has fitted an oil cooler how do you control oil flow to the cooler?

How do you clean the oil screen chamber?

Thanks

Mike
[quote] ---

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.43 KB
 Viewed:  3762 Time(s)

image.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: OIL PUMP Question Reply with quote

On Oct 27, 2011, at 6:47 PM, "Mike Pienaar" <[url=mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca]mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca[/url]> wrote:

Quote:
Re: OIL PUMP Question
Thank you very much for putting in so much effort. That really helped me a lot. My pump is slightly different as it has only one inlet but the one way valve does screw straight in.

Now my next problem, any ideas on where I can find an adapter to fit on the end of the one way valve that will enable an AN fitting to be used?

There are many sources. Use Google. Places like Summit racing are a good place to start. You can buy metric hoses and fittings as easily as AN now. It is also a simple matter to put a metric fitting on one end of a hose, and an AN fitting on the other.

Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that there is no thermostatically controlled by-pass valve fitted. If anybody has fitted an oil cooler how do you control oil flow to the cooler?

Some people just put cooling fins on the oil tank, some use a cooler. LOM do mention a thermostat but I have never seen one. If you find you need an oil cooler in the summer, disconnect it in winter. My aircraft is open cockpit, so it doesn't fly much over the winter.

Quote:
How do you clean the oil screen chamber?

Like most things LOM you follow the manual. In this case, it says wash it out with kerosene then with gasoline.

[quote]Thanks

Mike
[quote]
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: