Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drill speed choice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith750-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raymondj(at)frontiernet.n

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Drill speed choice Reply with quote

Greetings listers,

I've been lurking for a number of years and am about to order the kit
for a 750. I'm trying to decide which drill to buy. I have always
heard that faster is better so I'm looking at a 6000 rpm drill. Is there
a down side to turning the bit that fast?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
--
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN

"And you know that I could have me a million more friends,
and all I'd have to lose is my point of view." - John Prine

- The Matronics Zenith750-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith750-List
raymondj(at)frontiernet.n

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Drill speed choice Reply with quote

I should have done more research before I posted my question.

I found a nice page with some very useful info. It answered my question
in nothing flat. Hope someone else will find it useful.

> http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Reference/CuttingSpeeds.php#Drilling

The answer to my question is that I can use the 6000 rpm up to a 1/4"
bit diameter (which is the chuck size) without exceeding the recommend
sf/m for 6061-t6.
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN

"And you know that I could have me a million more friends,
and all I'd have to lose is my point of view." - John Prine

On 03/30/2012 04:38 PM, rayj wrote:
Quote:

Greetings listers,

I've been lurking for a number of years and am about to order the kit
for a 750. I'm trying to decide which drill to buy. I have always heard
that faster is better so I'm looking at a 6000 rpm drill. Is there a
down side to turning the bit that fast?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv9jim(at)Juno.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Drill speed choice Reply with quote

Actually I find that a slow to moderate speed with the #40 and #30 drills works best. Plus, the bits stay sharp longer. Definitly have several of the #40 and #30 bits. Four of each will last through the build. Two of a #20 works nice for the "A-5" rivits. Plus having one each of the longer 6" or 12" bits of the #30 and #40 are necessary in the tight places. Having a good battery powered drill with at least one extra battery is necessary. Air drills use a LOT of air. But then again, you need a "Harbor Freight" air powered pop rivit setting tool. You do not want to do the bird by hand squezer. Getting a spare manual poop rivit tool is necessary just to get the tips. The flat tips are modified to concave. This is done using the "Dremel" tool. Get the conical stone tips and use them to create the concave tips. That is the cheep way. The dremel tool with many #60 grit sanding drums is necessary. Get the simple single speed version. There are some other tools that are the same function as Dremel. By the way, create a piece of 2 x 4 about 12" long that has holes in the large surface side, Drill a hole for each drill bit in groups with a good 1-5" between each size. Keeps you from putting them down and loosing them----. More things if you want. I am aproaching the end of my build of the 750. I have some pic's on the Zenith web site under "Jim Nelson". There are some highly recomended changes for peace of mind (safety) that I recomend. Pic's on the mods and others on my own collection of pic's. IF you want more info, e-mail me at RV9Jim(at)Juno.com (RV9Jim(at)Juno.com) and I will help you any way I can to build a safe and fun aircraft.

--------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith750-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: