Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd running cylinder - cured!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Odd running cylinder - cured! Reply with quote

Folks,

I have been chasing down an odd running cylinder for quite a while now.

As a reminder, RV6A, IO360B1F6 w/9.2:1 compression LASAR ignition, and SamJames cowl/plenum. The #1 would go lean during high power operations with both EGT and CHT spiking.

During my most recent continued airworthiness inspections, I decided to remove, clean and replace the #1 injector body - making sure it was clocked according to the instructions.

This made the issue worse as it was now running lean during the entire flight period.

Removing and reclocking the injector made it better but wouldn't allow me to fix it.

After many e-mail exchanges with Airflow Performance, lots of graph viewing, consulting experts, and general headscratching; I swapped the #1 and #2 injector bodies along with their internal restrictors.

Problem moved to the #2 position.

Purchased and installed a new injector body to replace the #2 unit.

Now I have no more peaks - after four flights, all cylinders track very close to each other.

I will still be performing one more test to check the system at different altitudes. This test, suggested by the folks at Airflow Performance will show if I should install turbo venting rails to compensate for the plenum intake design.

An item important to note is that I would probably not have noticed anything wrong if I wasn't reviewing my data from each flight graphically. The data captured by my AFS3400EE - converted to graphs with some software jointly produced with Mike Behnke allows for a detailed review of all kinds of information. Bottom line, if you have this data available - review it...if you don't understand what you're looking at - ask for help interpreting it. The Lycoming engine design is antique - but still works...our addition of technology allows for systematic diagnostics and improvements to keep it running.

Ralph

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Odd running cylinder - cured! Reply with quote

Very Good Ralph:

Have you taken apart the injector to find out what the cause is?
I have this affliction about Pull & Replace Mechanics - I want to know what caused the failure.  Sort of like: Why did the fuse pop? Just replacing it does not work for me.  Let us know if you can.

Barry

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

Folks,

I have been chasing down an odd running cylinder for quite a while now.

As a reminder, RV6A, IO360B1F6 w/9.2:1 compression LASAR ignition, and SamJames cowl/plenum.  The #1 would go lean during high power operations with both EGT and CHT spiking.

During my most recent continued airworthiness inspections, I decided to remove, clean and replace the #1 injector body - making sure it was clocked according to the instructions.

This made the issue worse as it was now running lean during the entire flight period.

Removing and reclocking the injector made it better but wouldn't allow me to fix it.

After many e-mail exchanges with Airflow Performance, lots of graph viewing, consulting experts, and general headscratching; I swapped the #1 and #2 injector bodies along with their internal restrictors.

Problem moved to the #2 position.

Purchased and installed a new injector body to replace the #2 unit.

Now I have no more peaks - after four flights, all cylinders track very close to each other.

I will still be performing one more test to check the system at different altitudes.  This test, suggested by the folks at Airflow Performance will show if I should install turbo venting rails to compensate for the plenum intake design.

An item important to note is that I would probably not have noticed anything wrong if I wasn't reviewing my data from each flight graphically.  The data captured by my AFS3400EE - converted to graphs with some software jointly produced with Mike Behnke allows for a detailed review of all kinds of information.  Bottom line, if you have this data available - review it...if you don't understand what you're looking at - ask for help interpreting it.  The Lycoming engine design is antique - but still works..our addition of technology allows for systematic diagnostics and improvements to keep it running.

Ralph

===========
nes-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Odd running cylinder - cured! Reply with quote

Scratches on the top of the nozzle where the restrictor sits. In fact the entire top looked kinda mangled.

White cloth came out clean.....

--

jquinn3

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Odd running cylinder - cured! Reply with quote

Ralph - be mindful of the proper torque values for the injector bodies, it is easy to over tighten and distort the shape, also injector bodies should be installed and torqued with a light coat of engine oil on the threads.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

Scratches on the top of the nozzle where the restrictor sits.  In fact the entire top looked kinda mangled.

--

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Odd running cylinder - cured! Reply with quote

VERY GOOD RALPH!!!

It is always nice to know what caused the problem.
Best of luck,
Barry

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

Scratches on the top of the nozzle where the restrictor sits.  In fact the entire top looked kinda mangled.

--

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Odd running cylinder - cured! Reply with quote

Good scoop - thanks!
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: