Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV10-List: IO-540 crankcase breather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: RV10-List: IO-540 crankcase breather Reply with quote

Guys:

Since we are talking experimental here are a few tricks:
1 - The size of the breather hole is HUGE and there is very little crankcase pressure, because of it.  You can easily install a reducer and use a smaller diameter tube.  This will also reduce your weight and give you a smidgen more room under the cowl.
2 - ADD to the breather system a simple automotive PVC Valve.  Clean it at ever yearly inspection and you will be amazed at home much cleaner your belly is AND how much less oil you pump overboard.  AND for all you Green'y-Stick'm Caps/Tree Huggers - This is a simple Green Thing to do.  You want a PVC Valve designed for hose IN & hose OUT and you mount it Vertically. It is marked in & out.
3 - If you have the tube exit the cowling make sure it is ONLY 1" sticking out into the air stream and it is STRAIGHT DOWN.  You do NOT want to create a low pressure at the end of the tube.  It will ONLY suck out more oil.
4 - With the hose coming off the engine direct it UP as high as possible before making the smooth turn and going down.  You should also use Trick 1, 2 & 3 from above as well. 
5 - Now, this one I have not tried: Put a 360 deg loop/pigtail in the hose.  This I heard of but I don't like since there is the possibility of trapping water and freezing in the winter.  Note:  The engine compartment will warm up enough to melt the ice, but how high is the crank case pressure getting before the ice melts?  If you live in the no-freeze zone then not an issue.

Barry
[quote][b]

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Dale Ensing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: RV10-List: IO-540 crankcase breather Reply with quote

Barry,
Without intake pressure (vacuum) as part of the equation with your PCV valve installation, isn't the valve just acting as a restrictor in the crank case breather line.

Dale Ensing

On Jul 1, 2012, at 6:10 PM, FLYaDIVE <flyadive(at)gmail.com (flyadive(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]Guys:

1 - The size of the breather hole is HUGE and there is very little crankcase pressure, because of it. You can easily install a reducer and use a smaller diameter tube. This will also reduce your weight and give you a smidgen more room under the cowl.
2 - ADD to the breather system a simple automotive PVC Valve. Clean it at ever yearly inspection and you will be amazed at home much cleaner your belly is AND how much less oil you pump overboard. AND for all you Green'y-Stick'm Caps/Tree Huggers - This is a simple Green Thing to do. You want a PVC Valve designed for hose IN & hose OUT and you mount it Vertically. It is marked in & out.
3 - If you have the tube exit the cowling make sure it is ONLY 1" sticking out into the air stream and it is STRAIGHT DOWN. You do NOT want to create a low pressure at the end of the tube. It will ONLY suck out more oil.
4 - With the hose coming off the engine direct it UP as high as possible before making the smooth turn and going down. You should also use Trick 1, 2 & 3 from above as well.
5 - Now, this one I have not tried: Put a 360 deg loop/pigtail in the hose. This I heard of but I don't like since there is the possibility of trapping water and freezing in the winter. Note: The engine compartment will warm up enough to melt the ice, but how high is the crank case pressure getting before the ice melts? If you live in the no-freeze zone then not an issue.

Barry
Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Weddington NC
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: RV10-List: IO-540 crankcase breather Reply with quote

Dale:

I am not sure what you mean by "intake pressure (vacuum)"?  Crankcase Pressure is produced by every stroke of the piston, there is also a small amount of pressure generated by heat and of course by blow-by if there is any.  The pressure and oil is pumped overboard via the breather tube.  The PVC Valve, as you say IS a restrictor.  It is nothing more than a  tube with a check-valve that is regulated by a low force spring.  It maintains a very small amount of pressure inside the engine causing the oil to be dripped back, as apposed to being freely (without any restriction) pumped overboard.  The seal that the check-valve makes is a poor one, it is NOT designed to be leak tight.  The item is very simple and was one of the first emission control devices used on cars way back, I think in the late '60's or early '70's.
Yes, Grasshopper, I even remember Oil Air Filters  Smile
Barry
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Dale Ensing <densing(at)carolina.rr.com (densing(at)carolina.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote]Barry,
Without intake pressure (vacuum) as part of the equation with your PCV valve installation, isn't the valve just acting as a restrictor in the crank case breather line. 

Dale Ensing

On Jul 1, 2012, at 6:10 PM, FLYaDIVE <flyadive(at)gmail.com (flyadive(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Guys:

1 - The size of the breather hole is HUGE and there is very little crankcase pressure, because of it.  You can easily install a reducer and use a smaller diameter tube.  This will also reduce your weight and give you a smidgen more room under the cowl.
2 - ADD to the breather system a simple automotive PVC Valve.  Clean it at ever yearly inspection and you will be amazed at home much cleaner your belly is AND how much less oil you pump overboard.  AND for all you Green'y-Stick'm Caps/Tree Huggers - This is a simple Green Thing to do.  You want a PVC Valve designed for hose IN & hose OUT and you mount it Vertically. It is marked in & out.
3 - If you have the tube exit the cowling make sure it is ONLY 1" sticking out into the air stream and it is STRAIGHT DOWN.  You do NOT want to create a low pressure at the end of the tube.  It will ONLY suck out more oil.
4 - With the hose coming off the engine direct it UP as high as possible before making the smooth turn and going down.  You should also use Trick 1, 2 & 3 from above as well. 
5 - Now, this one I have not tried: Put a 360 deg loop/pigtail in the hose.  This I heard of but I don't like since there is the possibility of trapping water and freezing in the winter.  Note:  The engine compartment will warm up enough to melt the ice, but how high is the crank case pressure getting before the ice melts?  If you live in the no-freeze zone then not an issue.

Barry
Quote:

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

[b]

tim2542(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: RV10-List: IO-540 crankcase breather Reply with quote

Here's a link to related discussion.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=87347&highlight=Separator
Tim

Sent from my iPad
[quote]
Quote:

[b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: RV10-List: IO-540 crankcase breather Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Tim.

But, after reading it and what the welding of the fitting is suppose to do for HP... All I can think of is: I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell you real cheap!

BUT!  I just had an idea!!!  How about connecting the Breather Tube line to a welded fitting on the exhaust pipe - At of course a 30 or 45 Deg down angle.
You would: Reduce the crankcase pressure - Burn up all your oil residue - Keep the belly clean - AND - AND - wait for it...  AND make a cool smoke trail so all the ground pounders will think you are going to do aerobatics.

It reminds me of another farce that was dumped, whoops EXHAUSTED on the building public:- Weld on a Venture Exhaust Tube on the end of your exhaust and that way you would get an increase in the exhaust gas velocity which will act like a Pulse Jet Engine and PUSH you along.  Of course it is like claiming HP increase that can not be measures.  But, in this case I'm sure the restriction of exhaust gas was felt.  Felt by ONLY those willing to admit it.  And definitively felt in the wallet.

Any takers on the Bridge - - Anyone?
Barry
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Tim Andres <tim2542(at)sbcglobal.net (tim2542(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
[quote]Here's a link to related discussion.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=87347&highlight=Separator
Tim

Sent from my iPad
Quote:
Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: