Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel tank leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barrynorman(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Fuel tank leak Reply with quote

I finally go the wings off the plane to take a closer look at the leaks. Before taking the end plate off the right tank, I put fuel in it while it was setting on some saw horses to see exactly were it was leaking from. It appears to be coming out at the top of the spar where the skin to the tank meets the spar. This kinda surprised me but was explained when I took the end plate off. It appears that the Jeffco fuel tank sealer released in a small spot on the fiberglass angle near the top of the wing. This must have started the leak. Jim's suggestion to build a fillet looks like it will fix this problem.

I noticed that the area in the tank where the flap return spring bracket comes through had cracked and the Jeffco, micro/epoxy mix built up around it and was falling apart. This means the spar was exposed to fuel in a half dollar sized area. I checked the bracket and it was tight and rigid and the area of the spar exposed to fuels seemed unaffected. It's still hard and appears normal. There appeared to be no leakage through to the other side where the spring attaches. BTW, these tanks were factory built by Skystar.

I noticed that the Jeffco is over $500 for a 3 gallon kit which is outrageous. They don't offer a smaller kit. There is another product being sold called Bill Hirsh gas tank sealer that is much cheaper and claims resistance to alcohol. Has anyone had experience with this product. Will it work with Jeffco?

Thanks,
Barry
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Fuel tank leak Reply with quote

I finally go the wings off the plane to take a closer look at the leaks. Before taking the end plate off the right tank, I put fuel in it while it was setting on some saw horses to see exactly were it was leaking from. It appears to be coming out at the top of the spar where the skin to the tank meets the spar. This kinda surprised me but was explained when I took the end plate off. It appears that the Jeffco fuel tank sealer released in a small spot on the fiberglass angle near the top of the wing. This must have started the leak. Jims suggestion to build a fillet looks like it will fix this problem.

I noticed that the area in the tank where the flap return spring bracket comes through had cracked and the Jeffco, micro/epoxy mix built up around it and was falling apart. This means the spar was exposed to fuel in a half dollar sized area. I checked the bracket and it was tight and rigid and the area of the spar exposed to fuels seemed unaffected. It's still hard and appears normal. BTW, these tanks were factory built by Skystar.

I noticed that the Jeffco is over $500 for a 3 gallon kit which is outrageous. There is another product being sold called Bill Hirsh gas tank sealer that is much cheaper and claims resistance to alcohol. Has anyone had experience with this product.

Thanks,
Barry
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mortweaver(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Fuel tank leak Reply with quote

You should never attempt to overlap Jeffco over a poly sulfide sealant. Jeffco is essentially inert when cured. There should be no problem with over coating Jeffco with a poly sulfide. The fuel tank end plate closure sealant is a typical example.  I went from a poly sulfide wing tank sealant to Jeffco a few years back....an awful job scrubbing out the wing tanks with MEK (required about 12 gallons). The Jeffco wing tank sealant has held up well and was when I last checked used by Lancaire.
Dave Weaver

--- On Mon, 7/16/12, barrynorman(at)comcast.net <barrynorman(at)comcast.net> wrote:

Quote:

From: barrynorman(at)comcast.net <barrynorman(at)comcast.net>
Subject: Fuel tank leak
To: "pulsar-list" <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Monday, July 16, 2012, 8:53 AM

#yiv490300858 p {margin:0;} I finally go the wings off the plane to take a closer look at the leaks. Before taking the end plate off the right tank, I put fuel in it while it was setting on some saw horses to see exactly were it was leaking from. It appears to be coming out at the top of the spar where the skin to the tank meets the spar. This kinda surprised me but was explained when I took the end plate off. It appears that the Jeffco fuel tank sealer released in a small spot on the fiberglass angle near the top of the wing. This must have started the leak. Jim's suggestion to build a fillet looks like it will fix this problem.

I noticed that the area in the tank where the flap return spring bracket comes through had cracked and the Jeffco, micro/epoxy mix built up around it and was falling apart. This means the spar was exposed to fuel in a half dollar sized area. I checked the bracket and it was tight and rigid and the area of the spar exposed to fuels seemed unaffected. It's still hard and appears normal. There appeared to be no leakage through to the other side where the spring attaches. BTW, these tanks were factory built by Skystar.

I noticed that the Jeffco is over $500 for a 3 gallon kit which is outrageous. They don't offer a smaller kit. There is another product being sold called Bill Hirsh gas tank sealer that is much cheaper and claims resistance to alcohol. Has anyone had experience with this product. Will it work with Jeffco?

Thanks,
Barry

Quote:

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
r-List
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Quote:

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Fuel tank leak Reply with quote

The tanks are sealed with Jeffco from the factory. From what I read the Bill Hirsh stuff stays flexible whereas I've seen the Jeffco crack where flexed.

Barry

To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 10:37:09 AM
Subject: Re: Fuel tank leak

You should never attempt to overlap Jeffco over a poly sulfide sealant. Jeffco is essentially inert when cured. There should be no problem with over coating Jeffco with a poly sulfide. The fuel tank end plate closure sealant is a typical example. I went from a poly sulfide wing tank sealant to Jeffco a few years back....an awful job scrubbing out the wing tanks with MEK (required about 12 gallons). The Jeffco wing tank sealant has held up well and was when I last checked used by Lancaire.
Dave Weaver

--- On Mon, 7/16/12, barrynorman(at)comcast.net <barrynorman(at)comcast.net> wrote:

Quote:

#yiv490300858 p {margin:0;} I finally go the wings off the plane to take a closer look at the leaks. Before taking the end plate off the right tank, I put fuel in it while it was setting on some saw horses to see exactly were it was leaking from. It appears to be coming out at the top of the spar where the skin to the tank meets the spar. This kinda surprised me but was explained when I took the end plate off. It appears that the Jeffco fuel tank sealer released in a small spot on the fiberglass angle near the top of the wing. This must have started the leak. Jim's suggestion to build a fillet looks like it will fix this problem.

Thanks,
Barry

Quote:

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D r-List
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

[quote]
[b]

sonja.englert(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

For those of you who are also interested in motorgliders, I have posted another video of the motorglider fly-in in Minden, NV I attended a few days ago. Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/1Er7l602ft0

Sonja

Do not archive

mortweaver(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Jeffco, although rated for corrosive chemicals such as acids, has a very critical mixing ratio requirement. Jeffco carries a warning with regard to following mixing instructions as it becomes less flexible with the use of more hardener. It requires two coats as gasses released during cure process will cause bubbles and leave pin holes in the curred coating. Jeffco is very easy to apply to large areas as it has superior wicking characteristic compared to a poly sulfide sealant. My header tank was a retrofit following completion of kit construction and was sealed with PR - 1750. PR - 1750 Poly Sulfide has good flexibility and is rated for alcohol. It is also a good close-out plate sealant.

Dave Weaver

Quote:

Date: Monday, July 16, 2012, 10:08 AM

#yiv99009826 p {margin:0;} The tanks are sealed with Jeffco from the factory. From what I read the Bill Hirsh stuff stays flexible whereas I've seen the Jeffco crack where flexed.

Barry

Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 10:37:09 AM
You should never attempt to overlap Jeffco over a poly sulfide sealant. Jeffco is essentially inert when cured. There should be no problem with over coating Jeffco with a poly sulfide. The fuel tank end plate closure sealant is a typical example. I went from a poly sulfide wing tank sealant to Jeffco a few years back....an awful job scrubbing out the wing tanks with MEK (required about 12 gallons). The Jeffco wing tank sealant has held up well and was when I last checked used by Lancaire.
Dave Weaver

Quote:

#yiv99009826 p {margin:0;} I finally go the wings off the plane to take a closer look at the leaks. Before taking the end plate off the right tank, I put fuel in it while it was setting on some saw horses to see exactly were it was leaking from. It appears to be coming out at the top of the spar where the skin to the tank meets the spar. This kinda surprised me but was explained when I took the end plate off. It appears that the Jeffco fuel tank sealer released in a small spot on the fiberglass angle near the top of the wing. This must have started the leak. Jim's suggestion to build a fillet looks like it will fix this problem.

Thanks,
Barry

Quote:

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D r-List
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Quote:

r-List
Quote:

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: