Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idle Jet Circuit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Idle Jet Circuit Reply with quote

p { margin: 0; }
List
Has anyone had experience with drilling out the Idle Inlet Aperture of the Bing Carburator.
( Jabiru 3300 with Hydraulic lifters)

Jabiru Service Bulletin JSB-018-1 Dated 5 OCT 2007 says the following:

3.4 Idle Circuit Inlet
As standard, the inlet aperture to the idle jet circuit is too small and does not flow enough air to
work properly on Jabiru engines. To allow it to function as intended, the inlet aperture must be
drilled out to 1.6mm diameter.

My Carb is a 2007 model prior to Oct. so I was wondering if it has been done at the factory and if not should I do it. I have 180 hours on my engine and it has been running great except very hard to start on days below about 48 degrees. I also have number 6 cylinder running 330 ~ 335 deg. while all the others are below 300 deg.
I hate to pull the carb just to look at the aperture to see if it was done.

Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Bobby ( age 74 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Bing Carb 260 Main & 285 Needle Jet
Status - Flying 180 hrs.

Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
dons701

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Jet Circuit Reply with quote

Hi Bob
How low is your idle speed RPM? How smooth is it at this idle speed?

Cold weather starting problems are sometimes the result of not having the throttle closed enough which prevents the choke from being as effective, (lean condition). The choke system on a Bing IS a starting carburetor and could run the engine even if the throttle blade was glued shut.

The 1.6mm drill is very close to a 1/16" drill bit and requires the idle jet to be removed so as not to damage it when drilling the idle air bleed channel. I clamped the drill bit in my small vise grip pliers and twisted it in gently by hand till the end of the bit popped through into where the idle jet would normally be and cleaned the passage completely.

No matter what you do, you need to be confident about your idle speed on final
As far as the hot #6, try extending the back side of the cooling duct down around the #6 head, ending in a short 45 deg lip towards the exhaust pipe. If #2 and #4 are running as cool as you say I would shorten some of the air dams in the roof of the duct to allow more air to get back to the #6. Hope this helps...DonB

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Zenith 701 #76120
Jabiru 2200A #2456 95 hours
Sensenich Wood 64-PJ-36 Prop
Don McIntosh

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Jet Circuit Reply with quote

I was having trouble starting my 3300 whenever it was below 40. The US Jabiru website has an article about drilling out the choke jet to alleviate this problem. This works great for me as the engine has started almost immediately every time even down to 15 degrees OAT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: