Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On Return To Service Flights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPPalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: On Return To Service Flights Reply with quote

Just a general thought, spawned from yesterday's discussion:

Do you know what the most dangerous flight is? It's the "return to service" flight. That's when the Concord caught on fire.... they had just done maintenance on an afterburner. (But are trying to claim tire debris caused the problem.)

In general, you've just changed something on an otherwise fine working airplane. We ought to treat these flights as "first flights." Even for something as simple as an oil change.

We had a guy here answer a cell call while screwing on an oil filter. He's dead now. He forgot to tighten it fully after his telephone call, took off for a return to service flight. He lost oil pressure and crashed on final trying to return to the airport. Inspectors found a trail of oil from his hangar to the runup area.

Hope this helps,

Mike Palmer <><

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: On Return To Service Flights Reply with quote

Now I can see why some owners say; "If it ain't broke don't fix it!!" I started flying in small planes in 1955 and was sitting right seat in two separate landing crashes. Another time I was sitting right seat when the plane we were flying went into a spin in the middle of the night while in a blinding snow storm. And one other time I had an oil cooler hose blow while over a huge lake on a return flight from Oshkosh.  I once had a Pitts Special lose an aileron bolt on final and when I landed and got out I found that all the new self locking nuts for the aileron bolts were about to fall off. I replaced all of the bolts with castle nuts and carter pins. I had just replaced the self locking nuts and later found out they were bogus. When I first completed my Glasair I had a right brake fire that set the wheel pant on fire. I have also lost vacuum pumps, alternator belts and radios at the worse time. Flying is dangerous and over the years I have lost several good acquaintances in crashes. I am often mocked for "Over Maintaining" my plane.   

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

deej(at)deej.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: On Return To Service Flights Reply with quote

Craymondw(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
I am often mocked for "Over Maintaining" my plane.

Let them mock. There is no such thing as "over-maintaining" a plane
IMHO.
If you are not comfortable with it, don't fly it.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV
Glastar Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118
http://econ.duke.edu/~deej/sportsman/

"Many things that are unexplainable happen during the construction of an
airplane." --Dave Prizio, 30 Aug 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: