Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tailwind-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 12/21/13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fjmelick(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Tailwind-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 12/21/13 Reply with quote

Gerry:

Thanks for your reply.

It just seems the LSA price tags are out of sight compared to all the other available aircraft. I am older and had to sell off my airplanes and still would like to fly again before life is over. All the LSA stuff is for the very rich . I am from a time when the cubs and the vagabond were low cost planes for the grass roots guys but today you can't buy them for much under 25k. I saw a tailwind project for sale at a reasonable price and remember the old w-8 with the 85 hp Continental and thought maybe with a climb prop and some mods it could be made dirty and slower. I just did not know how the stall speed could be reduced.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

Not sure I like the buttercup's leading edge configuration. It looks complicated and expensive too.

Anything that is a project that fits LSA is very expensive compared to other experimental.

I heard the EAA and the other alphabet groups are trying to convince the Government to start a new recreational license that could allow some of the other certified aircraft to be used with the new license instead of the current LS pilot license. I am sure if that happens the price of a Cessna 150 will double overnight too.
At 72 years old I don't think building from scratch is possible and I was looking for a project experimental to help reduce the time to finish the project.

I am just an old has been pilot but still think I can fly again but it sure is hard to find a good inexpensive project that fits all the new regs.

Thanks again Gerry fair winds and blue sky's

Fred M

--

- The Matronics Tailwind-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Tailwind-List
gerry.vandyk(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Tailwind-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 12/21/13 Reply with quote

Can't say I disagree with any of your comments Fred. As I gather, the drooped leading edge wouldn't be eligible for LSA, but the Buttercup would make the speed requirements anyway. Earl, if you're reading this thread, could you comment?

Here in Canada the Advanced Ultralight category is a lot more liberal than LSA in the US. There's no speed limits, and a much more practical weight limit (I think). The Recreational Pilot's permit is similar to the Light Sport, Day VFR only, however there's no weight limit. A Rec pilot in Canada can fly a C172, he just can't carry more than one passenger.

Another thing you might have a chance to look forward to is the FAA implementing a class similar to our Owner Maintenance category. This is where older out-of-production airplanes can be maintained by the owner pretty much in the same way as an experimental. It might open up your choices as well, though I gather it's only in the earliest stages of discussion.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas.
Gerry
[quote]
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

redswing(at)mcn.org

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Tailwind-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 12/21/13 Reply with quote

Fred,
How about a vintage aircraft like some Luscombe or various Pipers or T-craft or some Ercoupes? You can find them for $15-25K; reasonable enough IMO.
Red

From: owner-tailwind-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-tailwind-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of fjmelick(at)aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2013 10:15 AM
To: tailwind-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Tailwind-List: Re: Tailwind-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 12/21/13

Gerry:

Thanks for your reply.

It just seems the LSA price tags are out of sight compared to all the other available aircraft. I am older and had to sell off my airplanes and still would like to fly again before life is over. All the LSA stuff is for the very rich . I am from a time when the cubs and the vagabond were low cost planes for the grass roots guys but today you can't buy them for much under 25k. I saw a tailwind project for sale at a reasonable price and remember the old w-8 with the 85 hp Continental and thought maybe with a climb prop and some mods it could be made dirty and slower. I just did not know how the stall speed could be reduced.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

Not sure I like the buttercup's leading edge configuration. It looks complicated and expensive too.

Anything that is a project that fits LSA is very expensive compared to other experimental.

I heard the EAA and the other alphabet groups are trying to convince the Government to start a new recreational license that could allow some of the other certified aircraft to be used with the new license instead of the current LS pilot license. I am sure if that happens the price of a Cessna 150 will double overnight too.
At 72 years old I don't think building from scratch is possible and I was looking for a project experimental to help reduce the time to finish the project.

I am just an old has been pilot but still think I can fly again but it sure is hard to find a good inexpensive project that fits all the new regs.

Thanks again Gerry fair winds and blue sky's

Fred M

-----Original Message-----
From: Tailwind-List Digest Server <tailwind-list(at)matronics.com>
To: Tailwind-List Digest List <tailwind-list-digest(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Sun, Dec 22, 2013 3:12 am
Subject: Tailwind-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 12/21/13

[quote]* Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive Today's complete Tailwind-List Digest can also be found in either of the two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version of the Tailwind-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor such as Notepad or with a web browser. HTML Version: fjmelick(at)aol.com (fjmelick(at)aol.com)) 2. 11:13 AM - Re: Re: Tailwind-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 12/20/13 (Gerry van Dyk) 3. 11:45 AM - Re: Re: Tailwind-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 12/20/13 (George Turner) ________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________ Time: 09:00:59 AM PST US Subject: Re: Tailwind-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 12/20/13 From: fjmelick(at)aol.com (fjmelick(at)aol.com) Can the W-10 fit the LSA category if I use an 85 hp continental the same as the original W-8? Is the stall speed of the w-10 wing lower than the w-80 wing? Thanks Fred M --

gerry.vandyk(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Tailwind-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 12/21/13 Reply with quote

HI again Fred. I got a note from Earl this afternoon, he confirmed the droop leading edge isn't allowed for light sport, but the Buttercup does indeed stall at 44 mph clean.

Cheers
Gerry
[quote]
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: