Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nuts n bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Petty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Fellow Kolbers,

I am installing the AN hardware in Ms. Dixie for pre final assembly to make sure everything fits and works before taking apart for final paint and covering. Here is my question.. Drilled AN bolts vs non drilled AN bolts and nylon lock nuts... My plans call for drilled AN bolts in some areas and non drilled with nylon nuts in others Question Personaly I like the nylon lock nuts vs the drilled with cotter pins. One reason is climbing in and out of the airplane the cotter pins will get caught on clothing and human flesh Shocked . Problem... One area I want to use a non drilled AN bolt with a nylon nut is the control stick bolt. AN-4-7 (I think) is to short to get the required 3 threads extruding and the next 2 sizes will bottom out before snugging up the connection. Can any of the experts see a problem with adding a few more threads (via die set) to the AN 4 bolt? In addition, why would an aircraft designer choose one type fastener over the other?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Kolbra #12
Ms Dixie
912 UL 70" warp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Rather than try and cut threads into the bolt, use a thinner AN nut.
And if necessary, thin washers to shim everything perfect.
Check out the AN-364 on this page:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an363.php
Keeping several extra AN-364 nuts available in AN-3 and AN-4
sizes is handy for situations such as you describe.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Paul Petty wrote:

Quote:

Fellow Kolbers,
<snip> Problem... One area I want to use a non drilled AN bolt with a nylon nut is the control stick bolt. AN-4-7 (I think) is to short to get the required 3 threads extruding and the next 2 sizes will bottom out before snugging up the connection. Can any of the experts see a problem with adding a few more threads (via die set) to the AN 4 bolt? In addition, why would an aircraft designer choose one type fastener over the other?

--------
Paul Petty
Kolbra #12
Ms Dixie

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=3621#3621

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Paul Petty wrote:

Quote:

Fellow Kolbers,

I am installing the AN hardware in Ms. Dixie for pre final assembly to make sure everything fits and works before taking apart for final paint and covering. Here is my question.. Drilled AN bolts vs non drilled AN bolts and nylon lock nuts... My plans call for drilled AN bolts in some areas and non drilled with nylon nuts in others [Question] Personaly I like the nylon lock nuts vs the drilled with cotter pins. One reason is climbing in and out of the airplane the cotter pins will get caught on clothing and human flesh [Shocked] . Problem... One area I want to use a non drilled AN bolt with a nylon nut is the control stick bolt. AN-4-7 (I think) is to short to get the required 3 threads extruding and the next 2 sizes will bottom out before snugging up the connection. Can any of the experts see a problem with adding a few more threads (via die set) to the AN 4 bolt? In addition, why would an aircraft designer choose one type fastener over the other?

--------
Paul Petty
Kolbra #12
Ms Dixie

In the certified world, the selection process goes something like:

Nyloc is ok unless the joint itself is designed to rotate; then you need
cotter keys. The exception to nylocs is in extreme temperature
environments, like things attached to an engine where the heat would
weaken the nylon. There are all-metal friction locking nuts for that
application.

Take a look at your inlaw's RV-8. Even the aileron bellcranks use
nylocs, because there's a brass bushing that the rod end moves on & the
bushing is locked down by the bolt/nut in the weldment. However, the
rudder pedals probably pivot on the bolts themselves (if they are built
like my RV-4) & a cotter key is required. Logic is that a rotating bolt
might overcome the locking force of the nyloc & unscrew the bolt.

Cutting threads will weaken the bolt (original threads are 'rolled', not
cut), but the clamping force required for a control stick isn't likely
to stress the bolt at all. The much simpler solution, if you have room,
is to just add a couple of flat washers under the nut. AN specs allow up
to (I think) 3 or 4 washers under the nut, & you can add a couple under
the head, also. The logic is to allow for just the problem you are
encountering, without having to recut threads.

Charlie

WillUribe(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
My A&P friend made me change the nylon lock nuts on the control stick to
castellated nuts with drilled bolts before the DAR inspected my FireStar because
they were moving joints and the nylon lock nuts may work themselves out. He
said the DAR would not pass it using the nylon lock nuts because it is
common practice to use castellated nuts on moving joints.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Will Uribe
El Paso, TX
FireStar II N4GU
C-172 N2506U
Restoring a PA-22-108 N4551Z
http://home.elp.rr.com/airplane
Do Not Archive

P.S. See you in March

--

neilsenrmf(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Paul

When I had my plane inspected by the local EAA inspector he stated that
nylock nuts were not to be used on any attachment that rotates. Dennis
Souder's comments were people some times forget to install the cotter pins
so he liked nylock. The FAA's inspector said he didn't care (he was a jerk
that only cared that the paper work was ok). As for cutting additional
threads, I did this a few times but is it OK?

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIc

---

Paul Petty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

So if it moves, cotter pin it. If it dont Nyloc it. cool! Wink

Kolbra #12
Ms Dixie
912 UL 70" warp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/13/06 9:04:12 AM Central Standard Time, lynnp(at)g-gate.net
writes:

Quote:
Drilled AN bolts vs non drilled AN bolts and nylon lock nuts... My plans
call for drilled AN bolts in some areas and non drilled with nylon nuts in
others [Question] Personaly I like the nylon lock nuts vs the drilled with
cotter pins.

Hi Paul,
Boy are you going to get action out of this one. I was trained by an old
Airforce Col.
If it has a part that moves or rotates on the bolt, use a castle nut and
cotter key. If it snugs down and holds compression, use a nyloc. If it gets hot,
use a metal lock.

BTW, Although pricey, there is a nyloc castle nut available. I like them for
the control stick position because if your cotter key goes you still have a
nyloc. My feeling is that if it gets loose it will take a while to back off.

Steve B
FF #007

luther b green

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Hi Paul, if you want to use the lock nut use the next size longer AN bolt.
You can add up to three AN washers to get the threads right and still be
correct per FAA. All that said if it were my plane I would use the drilled
bolt as per plans. If you bend the cotter pin correctly it should not hang
on anything.
Bryan Green (Elgin SC)
---

JetPilot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

neilsenrmf(at)comcast.net wrote:

As for cutting additional

Rick Neilsen

---

No its not OK !!! You will make a sharp cut into the bolt where a crack can easily start Shocked Your cut bolt will be much weaker than it was designed to be Evil or Very Mad

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
rsanoa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

I believe AN bolt threads are 'roll' cut. All threads on the flying wires on my Aeronca C3's were rolled instead of die cut. Die cut threads are much more susceptible to fatigue cracking. Someone may challenge me on the AN bolts but I'm on firm ground on the Aeronca wires.
Ray .. Tenn.
UltraStar
Do not archive

JetPilot <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

neilsenrmf(at)comcast.net wrote:
Quote:

As for cutting additional

Rick Neilsen

---

No its not OK !!! You will make a sharp cut into the bolt where a crack can easily start [Shocked] Your cut bolt will be much weaker than it was designed to be [Evil or Very Mad]

--------
NO FEAR - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=3793#3793

---------------------------------
Photo Books. You design it and well bind it!

Paul Petty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. When I read what should be done or why a certian method should be used, I follow instructions. Avaition is a new world to me. I have learned that "things" happen to airplanes that never happen to other vehicles. I asume that this bolt method is a result of testing and or failure at some point. Just for the hell of it if any of you care to take time, explain the 3 washer deal. So you wont think I'm a complete idiot, Let me give you some background on yours truely Very Happy .
My involement with "moving" parts began at the early age of 5 when my father gave me my first home made motorcycle. He knew i liked to ride my bicycle with "no hands" and warned me that this new motorcycle would not allow such. Well I didnt beleive him and as soon as I was out of his watchfull eye (he only had one) I tested his "theory" He was right!
My entire life I have built,raced,crashed motorcycles,boats and gocarts.
With this background, you can see why I cant see why a "rotating" bolt with a drilled end and cotter pin is better than a nyloc nut. But because thats the required method I will obey! Think about the old days with cars that had drilled spindles with cottor pins. They fell off all the time. I have never heard of a wheel falling off a front wheel drive vehicle with a lock nut Very Happy One more thing and I will go back in my corner and finish this Kolb. Airplanes in general "construction wise" blow my mind. Example, This Kolb has a massive 1/2" bolt that goes through the spar into a tiny tang that then has a super tiny pin that holds our wings on. I trust it. Understand it? No sheesh!

Take care guys

Kolbra #12
Ms Dixie
912 UL 70" warp
Don G

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Petty...

HEHe...you ha dme laughing on this one pard...and I know it doesnt make alot of sense...
snip.....""" Just for the hell of it if any of you care to take time, explain the 3 washer deal. So you wont think"""

the 3 washers are so you can get the required 3 threads if the bolt is too long...
In true gov fashion....they have never told us why 5 threads are not as good as 3...but they have told us we can washer it up to get to their requirement...I remember when I learned this back in school....made me laugh then too!

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
dpaule(at)frii.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: nuts n bolts Reply with quote

Don't want to over work the issue, but there are few guidelines:

If the bolt is primarily loaded in tension, more washers are slightly better
than fewer, because they add axial stiffenss to the parts of the joint
compared to the bolt itself, and under preload, that means that
proportionally more of the load will go through the joint. But the effect
disappears as you add more total washer thickness than the thickness of the
washer's wall, in this case looking at a washer as if it were a piece of
tube.

If the bolts are primarily loaded in shear, then make certain that the
threads are not in shear. Once that's done, minimise the amount of washers
because more washers generally add length to the moment arm that puts the
bolts in bending. You don't want to increase bending in a bolt.

Don't ever cut threads on aircraft bolts.

Dave Paule
Boulder, CO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: