Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interior Plastics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynamonb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Interior Plastics Reply with quote

Bought some interior plastics to spiff up the plane a bit. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to trim this stuff to fit? It seems thicker than the stuff I bought years ago for another aircraft.

Bruce
[quote][b]

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List

n76lima(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Interior Plastics Reply with quote

Bought some interior plastics to spiff up the plane a bit. Anyone have any
suggestions on the best way to trim this stuff to fit? It seems thicker
than the stuff I bought years ago for another aircraft.
Bruce

Yes, the new plastic is thicker. Not sure if that was to help with the cracking of the older style, or a material availability issue.

As for trimming, I cut it with offset aviation snips to about 1/4" from "net trim", and then come back for another pass down to less than 1/16" from net, and then sand the edges smooth. There are some trim lines that show up in the smooth side of the plastic, though they seem to have some skips. These make a good first cut reference, but I would not depend on them to be exact. There are manufacturing tolerances in the plastics and in the airframes.

I'd trim down to 1/4", test fit, trim again and test fit, until you get the desired installation. For sanding, I have a 3" drum that fits in my cordless drill (bought at a woodworking supply store) and an ~3"x18" long section of milled wood with 2 different grits of self-adhesive sandpaper applied to the opposite sides. The 3M self-stick paper is from an autobody supply store. I believe they are 80 and 180 grit, and originally intended for sanding "bondo" to contour. Cheap, less than $1/sheet, and I've been using the same sheets for years.

I've used all sorts of tools over the years in trimming the plastic, and have settled on the offset aviation snips (available at Lowes if you don't have a buddy building an RV). You'll want both red and green handled snips, so you can cut "left" and "right" handed curves.

Take your time, give your hands a rest, as they WILL cramp up from all the cutting with the snips, and do a nice job. I've worked on a few planes that looked like the interior plastic was trimmed with a chainsaw... Don't be that guy.

--Bob Steward
Birmingham, AL

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Interior Plastics Reply with quote

If you have one of those Workmates, clamp a belt sander upside down and trim to fit. Light pressure so the plastic doesn't heat up.
Linn

On 2/27/2014 2:36 PM, CYNAMONB(at)AOL.COM (CYNAMONB(at)AOL.COM) wrote:

[quote] Bought some interior plastics to spiff up the plane a bit. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to trim this stuff to fit? It seems thicker than the stuff I bought years ago for another aircraft.

Bruce
Quote:

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
02/27/14 [b]

teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Interior Plastics Reply with quote

I use tin snips to trim the basic part. Then, I use 40 grit sand paper in a 15 inch long sanding block to fine tune the part. Rear window moldings don't generally fit very well. Being twice as thick as necessary makes the problem even worse. Canopy window moldings fit OK but one is too short and one is too long (front to back).
Gary

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:57 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:

If you have one of those Workmates, clamp a belt sander upside down and trim to fit. Light pressure so the plastic doesn't heat up.
Linn

On 2/27/2014 2:36 PM, CYNAMONB(at)AOL.COM (CYNAMONB(at)AOL.COM) wrote:

Quote:
Bought some interior plastics to spiff up the plane a bit. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to trim this stuff to fit? It seems thicker than the stuff I bought years ago for another aircraft.

Bruce
Quote:

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
02/27/14
http://www.matro====================

[quote][b]

teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Interior Plastics Reply with quote

I second Bob's comments.
I have both the offset and regular tin snips. Keep all of them handy as one might work where the other one doesn't. I figure about 8 hrs per part, trim and fit.
Gary

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:56 PM, "n76lima(at)mindspring.com" <n76lima(at)mindspring.com> wrote:

--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: <n76lima(at)mindspring.com (n76lima(at)mindspring.com)>

Bruce

Yes, the new plastic is thicker. Not sure if that was to help with the cracking of the older style, or a material availability issue.

As for trimming, I cut it with offset aviation snips to about 1/4" from "net trim", and then come back for another pass down to less than 1/16" from net, and then sand the edges smooth. There are some trim lines that show up in the smooth side of the plastic, though they seem to have some skips. These make a good first cut reference, but I would not depend on them to be exact. There are manufacturing tolerances in the plastics and in the airframes.

I'd trim down to 1/4", test fit, trim again and test fit, until you get the desired installation. For sanding, I have a 3" drum that fits in my cordless drill (bought at a woodworking supply store) and an ~3"x18" long section of milled wood with 2 different grits of self-adhesive sandpaper applied to the opposite sides. The 3M self-stick paper is from an autobody supply store. I believe they are 80 and 180 grit, and originally intended for sanding "bondo" to contour. Cheap, less than $1/sheet, and I've been using the same sheets for years.

I've used all sorts of tools over the years in trimming the plastic, and have settled on the offset aviation snips (available at Lowes if you don't have a buddy building an RV). You'll want both red and green handled snips, so you can cut "left" and "right" handed curves.

Take your time, give your hands a rest, as they WILL cramp up from all the cutting with the snips, and do a nice job. I've worked on a few planes that looked like the interior plastic was trimmed with a chainsaw... Don't be that guy.

--Bob - The TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -
ator?TeamGrumman-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -http://forums.matronics.com< -Mats.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution==============

[quote][b]

cynamonb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Interior Plastics Reply with quote

Thanks Gary. I'll just take my time until I get it right. I did a Cherokee Six interior about 20 years ago and was able to refurbish most of the plastic. Only had to replace a few pieces. They were thinner and fairly easy to trim. The panel overlay was a Piper part $$$ and required little or no trimming.

Bruce Cynamon
Peterson Industries
305-691-7943
Sent from Samsung tablet

-------- Original message --------
From Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com>
Date: 02/27/2014 9:41 PM (GMT-05:00)
To teamgrumman-list(at)matronics.com
Subject Re: TeamGrumman-List: Interior Plastics

I second Bob's comments.  
I have both the offset and regular tin snips.  Keep all of them handy as one might work where the other one doesn't.  I figure about 8 hrs per part, trim and fit.
Gary

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:56 PM, "n76lima(at)mindspring.com" <n76lima(at)mindspring.com> wrote:

--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: <n76lima(at)mindspring.com (n76lima(at)mindspring.com)>

Bruce

Yes, the new plastic is thicker.  Not sure if that was to help with the cracking of the older style, or a material availability issue.

As for trimming, I cut it with offset aviation snips to about 1/4" from "net trim", and then come back for another pass down to less than 1/16" from net, and then sand the edges smooth.  There are some trim lines that show up in the smooth side of the plastic, though they seem to have some skips.  These make a good first cut reference, but I would not depend on them to be exact.  There are manufacturing tolerances in the plastics and in the airframes.

I'd trim down to 1/4", test fit, trim again and test fit, until you get the desired installation.  For sanding, I have a 3" drum that fits in my cordless drill (bought at a woodworking supply store) and an ~3"x18" long section of milled wood with 2 different grits of self-adhesive sandpaper applied to the opposite sides.  The 3M self-stick paper is from an autobody supply store.  I believe they are 80 and 180 grit, and originally intended for sanding "bondo" to contour.  Cheap, less than $1/sheet, and I've been using the same sheets for years.

I've used all sorts of tools over the years in trimming the plastic, and have settled on the offset aviation snips (available at Lowes if you don't have a buddy building an RV).  You'll want both red and green handled snips, so you can cut "left" and "right" handed curves.

Take your time, give your hands a rest, as they WILL cramp up from all the cutting with the snips, and do a nice job.  I've worked on a few planes that looked like the interior plastic was trimmed with a chainsaw...  Don't be that guy.

--Bob          - The TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -
ator?TeamGrumman-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator              - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -http://forums.matronics.com<                     -Mats.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution==============

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: