Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

I just bought some 2 gauge wire for the battery and starter. Seems a little small. Definitely looks smaller than the wire I removed.

Is 2 gauge the right size?

Gary
Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

Yep, #2 is what you want. Wire can look bigger/smaller due to the
thickness of the insulation. The insulation on the wire I used for the
RV-10 is real thin but it's really tough.
You should always get wire for the airplane from an aviation source
.... it has more individual strands that stands up to vibration better.
Linn

On 7/13/2014 2:15 AM, Gary L Vogt wrote:
Quote:

I just bought some 2 gauge wire for the battery and starter. Seems a little small. Definitely looks smaller than the wire I removed.

Gary
Sent from my iPad
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

Gary:
There are two different gauges for gauging wire AWG & BWG - - - AWG is American Wire Gauge and BWG, yup you guessed it is British Wire Gauge.  BWG is slightly smaller than AWG.  0/2 AWG = 0.3648" and in BWG it is 0.348".  Now a crazy question...  Did you get 0/2 (2 aut) or 2 Gauge wire?  The difference is in 0/2 AWG is much bigger than 2 AWG wire..  0.3648" Vs 0.2576".  OK, that is the basics of wire gauge.  And as Linn said there is a difference in wires as far as number of strands and bundles.  Wire is identified the same way control cable wire-rope is identified.  Diameter - Number of Bundles - Number of Strands per Bundle.  If you know what you want it really does not matter if it is sold by an aviation outfit or an automotive shop... BUT!  If you wish to get great wire at a much fairer price, check out welding suppliers.  Their wire fits the requirement, is less expensive, they can make up all sorts of swagged fittings, is insulated with a abrasion resistance cover AND the wire is very flexible.

Hope this helps,
Barry

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>

Yep, #2 is what you want.  Wire can look bigger/smaller due to the thickness of the insulation.  The insulation on the wire I used for the RV-10 is real thin but it's really tough.
You should always get wire for the airplane from an aviation source ..... it has more individual strands that stands up to vibration better.
Linn

Quote:
--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com (teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com)>

Gary
Sent from my iPad

-----

====================================
List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
http://forums.matronics.com
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

george(at)oilhelp.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

Barry, Why not use the type of wire that is spec'd for the aircraft instead of trying to save a few dollars even if what you are advising may be better? The original wire has lasted a long time and has stood the test of time don't you think?
George
Sent from my iPad

On Jul 13, 2014, at 10:47 AM, FLYaDIVE <flyadive(at)gmail.com (flyadive(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Gary:
There are two different gauges for gauging wire AWG & BWG - - - AWG is American Wire Gauge and BWG, yup you guessed it is British Wire Gauge. BWG is slightly smaller than AWG. 0/2 AWG = 0.3648" and in BWG it is 0.348". Now a crazy question... Did you get 0/2 (2 aut) or 2 Gauge wire? The difference is in 0/2 AWG is much bigger than 2 AWG wire.. 0.3648" Vs 0.2576". OK, that is the basics of wire gauge.  And as Linn said there is a difference in wires as far as number of strands and bundles. Wire is identified the same way control cable wire-rope is identified. Diameter - Number of Bundles - Number of Strands per Bundle. If you know what you want it really does not matter if it is sold by an aviation outfit or an automotive shop... BUT! If you wish to get great wire at a much fairer price, check out welding suppliers. Their wire fits the requirement, is less expensive, they can make up all sorts of swagged fittings, is insulated with a abrasion resistance cover AND the wire is very flexible.

Hope this helps,
Barry

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>

Yep, #2 is what you want. Wire can look bigger/smaller due to the thickness of the insulation. The insulation on the wire I used for the RV-10 is real thin but it's really tough.
You should always get wire for the airplane from an aviation source ..... it has more individual strands that stands up to vibration better.
Linn

Quote:
--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com (teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com)>

Gary
Sent from my iPad

-----

List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
http://forums.matronics.com
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
rumman-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
//forums.matronics.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

On 7/13/2014 10:47 AM, FLYaDIVE wrote:

Quote:
Gary:

snip
Quote:
If you know what you want it really does not matter if it is sold by an aviation outfit or an automotive shop... BUT! If you wish to get great wire at a much fairer price, check out welding suppliers. Their wire fits the requirement, is less expensive, they can make up all sorts of swagged fittings, is insulated with a abrasion resistance cover AND the wire is very flexible.

What you say is mostly true, but the rubber insulation on welding cable (which contributes to it's flexibility) will not stand the test of time. The proper cable won't be found in Home Depot or your local welding shop.

AC43-13B says
SUBSTITUTIONS.
In the repair and modification of existing aircraft, when a replacement wire is required, the maintenance manual for that
aircraft must first be reviewed to determine if the original aircraft manufacturer (OAM) has approved any substitution.
If not, then the OAM must be contacted for an acceptable replacement.

So, I suspect that welding cable, while acceptable in a homebuilt, isn't acceptable to the administrator .... and would make the
aircraft unairworthy.
While I have the option of using welding cable in the RV-10, I used the MIL-W-22759/16 wire with the Tefzel insulation.
It was the proper thing to do
Linn

[quote]

Hope this helps,
Barry

[b]

Jim(at)PoogieBearRanch.co

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

Please be sure that whatever wire you use does not use the insulation that emits cyanide gas when it burns. Approved aviation-quality wire doesn't do this, but some of the wire sold in the 'big box' stores will... This is something the EAA folks talk about a lot, since experimental aircraft can use pretty much anything the builder wants... But in this case, what you don't know can kill you.

James N Parker
Sent from my iPhone

teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

I got the wire from EDMO. It's 2AWG. It just looks like a size smaller than the original.

Is this big enough for the Sky-Tec starter? I looked at the specs and the current demand for the Sky-Tec exceeds that for 2AWG.

Would 1AWG wire work better?

Gary
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, at 5:44 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:

Yep, #2 is what you want. Wire can look bigger/smaller due to the thickness of the insulation. The insulation on the wire I used for the RV-10 is real thin but it's really tough.
Linn

> On 7/13/2014 2:15 AM, Gary L Vogt wrote:
>
>
> I just bought some 2 gauge wire for the battery and starter. Seems a little small. Definitely looks smaller than the wire I removed.
>
> Is 2 gauge the right size?
>
> Gary
> Sent from my iPad
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

On 7/14/2014 3:41 AM, Gary L Vogt wrote:
Quote:

I got the wire from EDMO. It's 2AWG. It just looks like a size smaller than the original.

Is this big enough for the Sky-Tec starter?
Yes.

Quote:
I looked at the specs and the current demand for the Sky-Tec exceeds that for 2AWG.
Color me skeptical. It would help if you posted where you got the info

on the wires. 2 ga. MIL-W-22759/16 is what you want.
I think your confusion comes from comparing the current needs of the
starter with the current capabilities of the wire as listed in a table.
Wire size/current is rated for temperature rise in free air and bundled
.... and you just can't crank that starter long enough to get that
amount of temperature rise.
Quote:
Would 1AWG wire work better?
In some ways. There would be less voltage drop during starting so that

is better.
It's also heavier (naturally) so that is not better. 2 ga. weighs 200.9
pounds/1000' and 1 ga. weighs 253.5 pounds/1000'. Not a great weight
penalty, but why carry excess weight anyway??? It's a cost (in weight
and money) Vs. benefit (a little better cranking speed) that's not
necessary.

Put the 2 ga. in and don't fret.

The other concern is the type of lug ..... a solid or welded barrel is
the only one to use, not the ones with an open seam ..... and the type
of crimper. I used a T&B crimper on my RV-10 heavy wires ...... because
my EAA chapter has one in it's tool crib. The color coded T&B lugs are
out of my price range though!!!! You need to compress the wire in the
lug until it's as close to a solid wire as you can get. This makes an
air-tight connection and cuts down on corrosion.
Linn
Quote:

Gary
Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 13, 2014, at 5:44 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Yep, #2 is what you want. Wire can look bigger/smaller due to the thickness of the insulation. The insulation on the wire I used for the RV-10 is real thin but it's really tough.
> You should always get wire for the airplane from an aviation source ..... it has more individual strands that stands up to vibration better.
> Linn
>
>> On 7/13/2014 2:15 AM, Gary L Vogt wrote:
>>
>>
>> I just bought some 2 gauge wire for the battery and starter. Seems a little small. Definitely looks smaller than the wire I removed.
>>
>> Is 2 gauge the right size?
>>
>> Gary
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.
>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>
>
-----

teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

Thanks Linn. I did a Google search and came up with a bunch of different results. Most showed 2AWG being barely adequate. We're only talking 4 feet or so. I will use the 2 since I already have it.

Thanks again.

Gary
AuCountry Aviation
Auburn, CA.
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jul 14, 2014, at 5:20 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On 7/14/2014 3:41 AM, Gary L Vogt wrote:
>
>
> I got the wire from EDMO. It's 2AWG. It just looks like a size smaller than the original.
>
> Is this big enough for the Sky-Tec starter?
Yes.
> I looked at the specs and the current demand for the Sky-Tec exceeds that for 2AWG.
Color me skeptical. It would help if you posted where you got the info on the wires. 2 ga. MIL-W-22759/16 is what you want.
I think your confusion comes from comparing the current needs of the starter with the current capabilities of the wire as listed in a table. Wire size/current is rated for temperature rise in free air and bundled ..... and you just can't crank that starter long enough to get that amount of temperature rise.
> Would 1AWG wire work better?
In some ways. There would be less voltage drop during starting so that is better.
It's also heavier (naturally) so that is not better. 2 ga. weighs 200.9 pounds/1000' and 1 ga. weighs 253.5 pounds/1000'. Not a great weight penalty, but why carry excess weight anyway??? It's a cost (in weight and money) Vs. benefit (a little better cranking speed) that's not necessary.

Put the 2 ga. in and don't fret.

The other concern is the type of lug ..... a solid or welded barrel is the only one to use, not the ones with an open seam ..... and the type of crimper. I used a T&B crimper on my RV-10 heavy wires ...... because my EAA chapter has one in it's tool crib. The color coded T&B lugs are out of my price range though!!!! You need to compress the wire in the lug until it's as close to a solid wire as you can get. This makes an air-tight connection and cuts down on corrosion.
Linn
>
> Gary
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jul 13, 2014, at 5:44 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Yep, #2 is what you want. Wire can look bigger/smaller due to the thickness of the insulation. The insulation on the wire I used for the RV-10 is real thin but it's really tough.
>> You should always get wire for the airplane from an aviation source ..... it has more individual strands that stands up to vibration better.
>> Linn
>>
>>> On 7/13/2014 2:15 AM, Gary L Vogt wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> I just bought some 2 gauge wire for the battery and starter. Seems a little small. Definitely looks smaller than the wire I removed.
>>>
>>> Is 2 gauge the right size?
>>>
>>> Gary
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -----
>>> No virus found in this message.
>>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: