Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 Overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jareds(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: 582 Overheating Reply with quote

Greetings,

I know this topic has prob been covered to death but lets think of this
as keeping you guys on your toes.
Don Smythe and i did alot of work in DC / VA Beach area 10-15 years ago
when i first got mine running.

Has anyone considered a larger reservoir and i did see one post where
someone actually found a larger radiator. Ideas on larger radiator??
In the lockwood book i noticed a reservoir and other venting but to my
knowledge other than LOWERING my radiator into the airflow i have what i
think is 'stock'.

Just taxiing to end of runway i will reach near 200.

I currently have a 4x20 radiator with small scoop under engine.
I have a cab heater ported off lines and i have the fill cap with no
real reservoir.
New engine just broke in and only taxied to the point of liftoff on a
long runway to check various numbers.

Regards,

Jared

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: 582 Overheating Reply with quote

With my 582 I had to pull the scoop and lower the radiator 1". Otherwise
I couldn't taxi without overheating. "Stock" radiator. (Probably 4x20)
No reservoir. 180 thermostat. I also was very careful to insulate the
water pump line from the exhaust heat.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded
Now a glider pilot, too.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

michaelgibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: 582 Overheating Reply with quote

I had the same experience with my 912S. Ran fine without the scoop but overheated within minutes after takeoff with it installed. Never got to the bottom of the issue, just left it off.

Mike G.
Phoenix, AZ
Kitfox IV-1200 Speedster, Series 6

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, at 8:49 PM, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net> wrote:

With my 582 I had to pull the scoop and lower the radiator 1". Otherwise I couldn't taxi without overheating. "Stock" radiator. (Probably 4x20) No reservoir. 180 thermostat. I also was very careful to insulate the water pump line from the exhaust heat.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded
Now a glider pilot, too.

mikeperkins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 582 Overheating Reply with quote

Hi Jared,

My 532 on a hot day might get to 170 while taxiing. I have a 140-degree thermostat, no airscoop, and a small, plastic-bottle reservoir. I get about 12 oz of expansion coolant into the reservoir during normal operation.

If you need a larger reservoir because of coolant overflow, it might be a steam pocket in the head. That can be eliminated by bleeding the air completely from the head. I have to tip my airplane about 20 degrees nose-low with the cylinder head bleed port open. The reason for all the gymnastics is because when the plane is parked the top of my coolant filler is below the highest point in the cylinder head. So without tipping the nose down, the coolant would never reach the highest point of the cylinder head. If steam builds up in the head because of an air pocket, the engine will overheat. It's happened to me.

The only other thing I can think of is that your radiator is caked on the inside. I'd also think about a 140-degree thermostat. Maybe try removing the thermostat as an experiment.

There are actually places for two thermostats. The other is on the lower part of the crankcase where the hose connects. It's claimed it helps keep the temperature steadier, but I've never known anyone to use it - sounds like just one more component to fail.

Pat Reilly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: 582 Overheating Reply with quote

Jared, Where are you located? I have the oversized radiator 8" x 20" that came with a firewall forward 582 that I purchased from S CA. I imagine it had been flown in the S CA desert. I originally didn't know it was over size. But, realized that before 1st flight. I would tape off 1/3 of it in the summer and 2/3 in the winter and got the desired temps. It was mounted on 1 1/2" spacers pushing it down into the wind from the belly. I recently replaced it with the 4" x 20" standard radiator and get 170 to 180 degree temps in 80 degree ambient air. I do have a thermostat .....can't remember what temp.
If you aren't running in extreme hot ambient conditions, the standard 4" x 20" radiator should give you adequate cooling if everything else is correct.
Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuilt
Rockford, IL 

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Michael Gibbs <michaelgibbs(at)cox.net (michaelgibbs(at)cox.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: Michael Gibbs <michaelgibbs(at)cox.net (michaelgibbs(at)cox.net)>

I had the same experience with my 912S. Ran fine without the scoop but overheated within minutes after takeoff with it installed. Never got to the bottom of the issue, just left it off.

Mike G.
Phoenix, AZ
Kitfox IV-1200 Speedster, Series 6

> On Jul 20, 2014, at 8:49 PM, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net (gebuchanan(at)cox.net)> wrote:
>
> --> Kitfox-List message posted by: Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net (gebuchanan(at)cox.net)>
>
> With my 582 I had to pull the scoop and lower the radiator 1". Otherwise I couldn't taxi without overheating. "Stock" radiator. (Probably 4x20) No reservoir. 180 thermostat. I also was very careful to insulate the water pump line from the exhaust heat.
>
> Guy Buchanan
> Ramona, CA
> Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded
> Now a glider pilot, too.

===========
st" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
===========
MS -
k">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
e -
         -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford,IL
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: