Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZK-TWU gear leg update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjaviator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update Reply with quote

Hi all...thanks for the various replies both on the list and off.
We received the aircraft in the shop this morning and I was surprised to find that the leg had fractured clean off where it comes out of the tube on the engine mount.
We have not had a chance to do any proper inspection as yet but it would appear that there is no damage to the engine mount, firewall or any part of the airframe other than paint damage on the RH wing tip.

It has been suggested it could be a case of hydrogen embrittlement - God knows what you are meant to do to stop that in general maintenance terms and what sort of inspections would stop that... 

Attached are photos of the legs. LH leg is still in one peice but I believe it is bent.
Hard to tell from the photo looking down the length of it, but the top of the leg does not seem to be in the same longitudinal plane as the rest of the gear leg - correct me if it is meant to be this way!
(We are replacing both legs regardless)
As you can see the smoking gun would appear to be the point where the leg exits the bushing in the leg socket as it appears to have sheared off where the shoulder has been created.

Question is, what does one do about it to stop re-occurrence? Airframe has 1340 hours on it and I think the legs are the same age.

Regards, Jay

- The Matronics Rocket-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List

P1050057_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.29 KB
 Viewed:  2802 Time(s)

P1050057_(Large).JPG

P1050058_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.74 KB

P1050058_(Large).JPG

P1050059_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.44 KB

P1050059_(Large).JPG

P1050060_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.02 KB

P1050060_(Large).JPG

P1050061_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.22 KB

P1050061_(Large).JPG

P1050063_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  317.76 KB

P1050063_(Large).JPG

P1050064_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  348.09 KB

P1050064_(Large).JPG

P1050065_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  246.17 KB

P1050065_(Large).JPG

P1050066_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.28 KB

P1050066_(Large).JPG

P1050067_(Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.72 KB

P1050067_(Large).JPG

nico(at)cybersuperstore.c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update Reply with quote

Hi Jay,
How old is the airframe and could the climate in which it was primarily operated be a factor? This doesn't look like an hour-based problem.  One may have to pull the under carriage apart every three years or so.
Just my thoughts.
Nico

From: owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jay McIntyre
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:15 PM
To: rocket-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update

Hi all...
thanks for the various replies both on the list and off.

We received the aircraft in the shop this morning and I was surprised to find that the leg had fractured clean off where it comes out of the tube on the engine mount.
We have not had a chance to do any proper inspection as yet but it would appear that there is no damage to the engine mount, firewall or any part of the airframe other than paint damage on the RH wing tip.

It has been suggested it could be a case of hydrogen embrittlement - God knows what you are meant to do to stop that in general maintenance terms and what sort of inspections would stop that...

Attached are photos of the legs. LH leg is still in one peice but I believe it is bent.

Hard to tell from the photo looking down the length of it, but the top of the leg does not seem to be in the same longitudinal plane as the rest of the gear leg - correct me if it is meant to be this way!

As you can see the smoking gun would appear to be the point where the leg exits the bushing in the leg socket as it appears to have sheared off where the shoulder has been created.

Question is, what does one do about it to stop re-occurrence? Airframe has 1340 hours on it and I think the legs are the same age.

Regards, Jay
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

stuart(at)stuarthutchison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update Reply with quote

What a great example of galling/spalling and stress risers !!!

All of a sudden I’m very glad my stilts have #5 Morse tapers at the top with a nut to torque periodically, which will stop the leg from work hardening in their sockets!
Cheers, Stu

On 21 Aug 2014, at 11:09 pm, nicoCSS <nico(at)cybersuperstore.com (nico(at)cybersuperstore.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jay,
How old is the airframe and could the climate in which it was primarily operated be a factor? This doesn't look like an hour-based problem. One may have to pull the under carriage apart every three years or so.
Just my thoughts.
Nico

From: owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Jay McIntyre
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:15 PM
To: rocket-list(at)matronics.com (rocket-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update

Hi all...
thanks for the various replies both on the list and off.

Regards, Jay

Quote:

style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
purple; text-decoration: underline;">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: