Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

louvers on Glasair III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubblehead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

At Oshkosh this year I noticed that a lot of Glasair IIIs have a louver on the right side of the cowl. I don't have a Glasair - I fly an RV-8 but I like to look at other people's planes and learn from them.

What are the louvers for, and where can there be bought? I am guessing they are either cooling vents so more hot air exits the cowl or are the outlet for the oil cooler.

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List

n355tc(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

You are correct. They are for cooling with the oil cooler. Mine came with my kit from glasair.

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App
----

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

Wait until you see and hear my new powder coated 4 to 1 scavenge exhaust system that dumps into a 3 inch exhaust pipe that was designed by a NASCAR mechanic. The NASCAR mechanic and exhaust assembler believe it will boast my horse power up 20%!! When I gun the engine it sounds like a 600 h.p. hot rod engine and sounds just awesome!! Before my engine rebuild and using the poorly designed exhaust supplied by Glasair, I was clocked at Sun and Fun in 1992 doing 235 mph. When the NASCAR mechanic saw my cowl off he stood there in amazement and laughed at how poorly the system was designed while pointing out how it was choking my engine, not to mention the thing cracking several times!! Since racing the plane in 1992 I have made several modifications to my Glasair2SFT and will let you know what the official new speed will be with this new exhaust system. Now this NASCAR mechanic is about to redesign the GL3 exhaust system. This mechanic has kept the jigs and reports he can provide these exhaust systems for the GL2's for around $1,800. And they are guaranteed to not crack or rust!!

In a message dated 8/26/2014 5:11:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, n355tc(at)comcast.net writes:
[quote]You are correct. They are for cooling with the oil cooler. Mine came with my kit from glasair.

----

Bubblehead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

Do they work well?  Do you get good cooling from the oil cooler? On Aug 26, 2014 4:12 PM, <n355tc(at)comcast.net (n355tc(at)comcast.net)> wrote:[quote] You are correct. They are for cooling with the oil cooler. Mine came with my kit from glasair.

----

n355tc(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

I'm not flying yet but I know of no problems with temps using this setup. I also know of no one who has redesigned the oil cooler system in the glasair III.

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App[quote]
----

gossend(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

On my airplane, the answer is yes and no. The louvers exit a lot of hot air from the oil cooler, but oil temp is still and always problematic. I've gotten used to 210 degrees at 60% cruise power in just about any weather. If I run harder, the temp comes down! Conclusion: the Glasair III was not designed to fly slow.You might note that some III's have been modified with significantly larger coolers (and louvers) - I considered that, but then just decided to fly faster and that fixed it just fine.
Dick Gossen
N90GG

On Aug 26, 2014, at 6:17 PM, John Dalman <jdalmansr(at)gmail.com (jdalmansr(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Do they work well? Do you get good cooling from the oil cooler?On Aug 26, 2014 4:12 PM, <n355tc(at)comcast.net (n355tc(at)comcast.net)> wrote:[quote]You are correct. They are for cooling with the oil cooler. Mine came with my kit from glasair.

----

Bubblehead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

Thank you for the additional information.  In hot weather my oil runs about 200 in cruise and that seems ok to me.  It never goes above 215 in climb, but two CHTs go to about 410 or 415 in climb on hot days.  I am going to put new baffles on this winter, which should help.

Thanks again,
John

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Dick Gossen <gossend(at)gmail.com (gossend(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]On my airplane, the answer is yes and no. The louvers exit a lot of hot air from the oil cooler, but oil temp is still and always problematic. I've gotten used to 210 degrees at 60% cruise power in just about any weather. If I run harder, the temp comes down! Conclusion: the Glasair III was not designed to fly slow. You might note that some III's have been modified with significantly larger coolers (and louvers) - I considered that, but then just decided to fly faster and that fixed it just fine.
Dick Gossen
N90GG

On Aug 26, 2014, at 6:17 PM, John Dalman <jdalmansr(at)gmail.com (jdalmansr(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]
Do they work well?  Do you get good cooling from the oil cooler?On Aug 26, 2014 4:12 PM, <n355tc(at)comcast.net (n355tc(at)comcast.net)> wrote: [quote]You are correct. They are for cooling with the oil cooler. Mine came with my kit from glasair.

----

Bubblehead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

Thanks.  Good information.
On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 6:47 PM, <n355tc(at)comcast.net (n355tc(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]I'm not flying yet but I know of no problems with temps using this setup. I also know of no one who has redesigned the oil cooler system in the glasair III.

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App[quote]
----

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/26/2014 7:18:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jdalmansr(at)gmail.com writes:
[quote]
Do they work well? Do you get good cooling from the oil cooler? On Aug 26, 2014 4:12 PM, <n355tc(at)comcast.net (n355tc(at)comcast.net)> wrote: [quote] You are correct. They are for cooling with the oil cooler. Mine came with my kit from glasair.

----

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

Back in the early 1990's a GL111 was placed in a wind tunnel and found that the front of the cowling was buffeting. The builder redesigned the cowling by bringing the inlets forward. With that in mind, I can see why the slower a three flies the worse the buffet and the hotter it runs. .
In a message dated 8/26/2014 8:27:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, gossend(at)gmail.com writes:
[quote]On my airplane, the answer is yes and no. The louvers exit a lot of hot air from the oil cooler, but oil temp is still and always problematic. I've gotten used to 210 degrees at 60% cruise power in just about any weather. If I run harder, the temp comes down! Conclusion: the Glasair III was not designed to fly slow. You might note that some III's have been modified with significantly larger coolers (and louvers) - I considered that, but then just decided to fly faster and that fixed it just fine.
Dick Gossen
N90GG

[quote]
Do they work well? Do you get good cooling from the oil cooler? On Aug 26, 2014 4:12 PM, <n355tc(at)comcast.net (n355tc(at)comcast.net)> wrote: [quote]You are correct. They are for cooling with the oil cooler. Mine came with my kit from glasair.

----

jeffs(at)ostari.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

Just curious, which two cylinders ? From: owner-glasair-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-glasair-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of John Dalman <jdalmansr(at)gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:37:59 PM
To: glasair-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: louvers on Glasair III

Thank you for the additional information. In hot weather my oil runs about 200 in cruise and that seems ok to me. It never goes above 215 in climb, but two CHTs go to about 410 or 415 in climb on hot days. I am going to put new baffles on this winter, which should help.

Thanks again,

John

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Dick Gossen <gossend(at)gmail.com (gossend(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] On my airplane, the answer is yes and no. The louvers exit a lot of hot air from the oil cooler, but oil temp is still and always problematic. I've gotten used to 210 degrees at 60% cruise power in just about any weather. If I run harder, the temp comes down! Conclusion: the Glasair III was not designed to fly slow. You might note that some III's have been modified with significantly larger coolers (and louvers) - I considered that, but then just decided to fly faster and that fixed it just fine.
Dick Gossen
N90GG

[quote]
Do they work well? Do you get good cooling from the oil cooler? On Aug 26, 2014 4:12 PM, <n355tc(at)comcast.net (n355tc(at)comcast.net)> wrote: [quote] You are correct. They are for cooling with the oil cooler. Mine came with my kit from glasair.

----

Bubblehead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: louvers on Glasair III Reply with quote

The rear two - 3 and 4. Pretty common. They are not bad in cruise but
here in Texas, when it's hot, the cylinders get hotter than I'd like but
still within limits. I just need to do a cruise climb and not a more
aggressive climb.
On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Jeff Siebenhaar <jeffs(at)ostari.com> wrote:

[quote] Just curious, which two cylinders ?
------------------------------
owner-glasair-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of John Dalman <
jdalmansr(at)gmail.com>
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:37:59 PM
*To:* glasair-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Re: louvers on Glasair III

Thank you for the additional information. In hot weather my oil runs
about 200 in cruise and that seems ok to me. It never goes above 215 in
climb, but two CHTs go to about 410 or 415 in climb on hot days. I am
going to put new baffles on this winter, which should help.

Thanks again,

John
On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Dick Gossen <gossend(at)gmail.com> wrote:

> On my airplane, the answer is yes and no. The louvers exit a lot of hot
> air from the oil cooler, but oil temp is still and always problematic. I've
> gotten used to 210 degrees at 60% cruise power in just about any weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: