Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil filler tube loosening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Oil filler tube loosening Reply with quote

Engine-gurus.....

Is there a way to keep the Oil filler tube from loosening?
I tighten it...
I safety wire it...
I fly it a couple of times...and it's loose again!

My thinking is that when I check the oil(cold-ish), it's turning a little tighter.

It's not leaking that I can detect - but I'm worried about wearing out the safety-wire hole on the plastic.

Any suggestions as to how to cure this? Does anyone know the proper torque value for the tube (and what reference document)? I can get a torque wrench on it - but can't find the value. Would it make a difference to torque it with the engine hot? I have a replacement gasket and some fuel-lube for sealant - I would love to get this one right!

Thanks,
Ralph Capen

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Oil filler tube loosening Reply with quote

Ralph:
Here are a few tricks:
1 - Clean the threads - both of them with MEK as well as the gasket.  And re-install...  YES, with the Safety Wire - BUT!  It MUST PULL - Not just look good.
2 - REPLACE the gasket.  If old it will be squashed down and loose its push-back abilities.
3 - Do #1, Wink  And then put a lite coat of High Temp RTV on the Base of the threads of the tube and then put on the Gasket and then another lite coat over the top of the Gasket.  SNUG down - REMEMBER the oil fill tube is ONLY PLASTIC.  Then install the Safety Wire - Once again...  The wire MUST pull on the tube, not just sit there.  START the Safety Wire FROM the tube and make sure it pulls from at least 180 degrees away from the anchor point on the engine.  Wrap Around.
4 - I was recently informed about a very good gasket -"supposedly"!  That eliminates your issue.  I have never used it as yet, but I do plan on doing it. The gasket is offered by a company know as Mr. Gasket.  I tried to find the site but could not get to a point where a single gasket that fit out tube could be found.
Barry

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

Engine-gurus.....

Is there a way to keep the Oil filler tube from loosening?
I tighten it...
I safety wire it...
I fly it a couple of times...and it's loose again!

My thinking is that when I check the oil(cold-ish), it's turning a little tighter.

It's not leaking that I can detect - but I'm worried about wearing out the safety-wire hole on the plastic.

Any suggestions as to how to cure this?  Does anyone know the proper torque value for the tube (and what reference document)?  I can get a torque wrench on it - but can't find the value.  Would it make a difference to torque it with the engine hot?  I have a replacement gasket and some fuel-lube for sealant - I would love to get this one right!

Thanks,
Ralph Capen

===========
gines-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
===========
">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Oil filler tube loosening Reply with quote

OK - I've received a number of good suggestions...:

Clean the threads
Use a new gasket
Use a different type of gasket
Use RTV
Safety wire pulling tight in both directions wrapped around the tube.
Don't tighten the dipstick too tight when checking the oil.

I'll be using most of these this weekend.

I'm still looking for the torque value for the tube...

Thanks

--

jim(at)PoogieBearRanch.co

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Oil filler tube loosening Reply with quote

I strongly believe that safety wiring in "both directions" is incorrect. Safety wire should always "pull" to the "tight" position per the FAA's AC-43 "Standard Practices" manual (see the section on safety wiring).

Other than that, all the suggestions appear reasonable to this former Army Helicopter maintenance test pilot and technical inspector (who only knows a very little bit about Grummans).

Jim Parker

[quote]-------

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Oil filler tube loosening Reply with quote

Ralph:
I have never heard of Safety Wire in "both" directions.  If the loosening direction is just a bit stronger/tighter then the tightening direction - Then you are UN-DOING the locking action of the threads and tightening safety wire... Why do that!
Barry
On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

OK - I've received a number of good suggestions...:

Clean the threads
Use a new gasket
Use a different type of gasket
Use RTV
Safety wire pulling tight in both directions wrapped around the tube.
Don't tighten the dipstick too tight when checking the oil.

I'll be using most of these this weekend.

I'm still looking for the torque value for the tube...

Thanks

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: