Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup ignition failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tshankland(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Backup ignition failure Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago the backup ignition on my Stratus engine failed. I tracked the failure down to the sensor by the flywheel. An e-mail Mykal gave me the news that the part was obsolete and no longer available. My further inquiry with Mykal got the part number of the old part. Some on line research gave me the specs of the old parts and a potential replacement. I can tell you that I have been successful in repairing the dead sensor. If you have a dead sensor or might this is what you have to do.

The replacement part is a SS461A Hall effect switch available from Jameco for about $1.10 each, but you have to buy 10, that's good that way you'll have spares if you mess up anything. First you have to remove the "guts of the old sensor. I found a hot air gun and metal pick will remove most of it with a little time. During this process the washer on the end of the sensor will probably fall out if it hasn't all ready. The sensor is just a 3/4 inch rod drilled through will a 25/64 hole and then drilled about half way down with a 9/16th. When you get all the epoxy out of the 9/16 part just heat it up good and punch the rest out. Remove the old device from the wires. The new device will require one addition, a pull up resistor. It goes between the + terminal of the device and the output. I put mine inside the sensor but it could be attached at the plug end if desired. The resistor can be between 4 and 24K 1/8 watt. The red lead to the plug connect to the + of the device, the black lead to the - and the green lead to the O. If you put the resistor inside make sure to get heat shrink over everything so the leads don't touch each other or the metal housing. I used 1 hour epoxy to fill in the housing. Put a piece of clear tap over the end and bend the sensor leads such that faceted side of the device, the one with the number on it faces out. I filled the small end of the sensor with epoxy first and positioned the device as close as I could to the tape. Make sure the wire is such that the mounting screw will fit in. After that part set up a little I put the mounting screw in and fill the it up the top. After it sets a little bit turn the screw to break it lose from the epoxy, it will be a LOT harder later. I filed the hole out after it set up so the screw would turn easily and make sure the sensor was solidly mounted to the engine. I expect that this sensor will hold up better than the original since the old one was only rated up to 100 C and the crankcase part of the engine can get up to 115 C. The new part is rated for up to 150 C.
Hope this helps someone with a dead ignition.
Tim Shankland

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List

100_2745s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  460.82 KB
 Viewed:  3761 Time(s)

100_2745s.jpg

100_2746s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  669.35 KB

100_2746s.jpg

100_2748s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  719.02 KB

100_2748s.jpg

SS461A_Hall_effect_switch.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SS461A_Hall_effect_switch.pdf
 Filesize:  234.46 KB
 Downloaded:  807 Time(s)

ronhansen123(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Backup ignition failure Reply with quote

Tim, thanks so much for posting this.  I haven't had that part fail yet, but if I do, I know how to make one now.
Ron

Stratus/Ram heads/Ram rebuild/Zenair 601HDS/Los Angeles
On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Tim <tshankland(at)sbcglobal.net (tshankland(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
[quote] A couple of weeks ago the backup ignition on my Stratus engine failed. I tracked the failure down to the sensor by the flywheel. An e-mail Mykal gave me the news that the part was obsolete and no longer available. My further inquiry with Mykal got the part number of the old part. Some on line research gave me the specs of the old parts and a potential replacement. I can tell you that I have been successful in repairing the dead sensor. If you have a dead sensor or might this is what you have to do.

The replacement part is a SS461A Hall effect switch available from Jameco for about $1.10 each,  but you have to buy 10, that's good that way you'll have spares if you mess up anything. First you have to remove the "guts of the old sensor. I found a hot air gun and metal pick will remove most of it with a little time. During this process the washer on the end of the sensor will probably fall out if it hasn't all ready. The sensor is just a 3/4 inch rod drilled through will a 25/64 hole and then drilled about half way down with a 9/16th. When you get all the epoxy out of the 9/16 part just heat it up good and punch the rest out. Remove the old device from the wires. The new device will require one addition, a pull up resistor. It goes between the + terminal of the device and the output. I put mine inside the sensor but it could be attached at the plug end if desired. The resistor can be between 4 and 24K 1/8 watt. The red lead to the plug connect to the + of the device, the black lead to the - and the green lead to the O. If you put the resistor inside make sure to get heat shrink over everything so the leads don't touch each other or the metal housing. I used 1 hour epoxy to fill in the housing. Put a piece of clear tap over the end and bend the sensor leads such that faceted side of the device, the one with the number on it faces out. I filled the small end of the sensor with epoxy first and positioned the device as close as I could to the tape. Make sure the wire is such that the mounting screw will fit in. After that part set up a little I put the mounting screw in and fill the it up the top. After it sets a little bit turn the screw to break it lose from the epoxy, it will be a LOT harder later. I filed the hole out after it set up so the screw would turn easily and make sure the sensor was solidly mounted to the engine. I expect that this sensor will hold up better than the original since the old one was only rated up to 100 C and the crankcase part of the engine can get up to 115 C. The new part is rated for up to 150 C.
Tim Shankland
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Backup ignition failure Reply with quote

Of course you could just put a second pickup in the distributor and drive 2 GM amplifier chips. But then for $1:10 you really can’t go wrong.

Frank

From: owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of ron hansen
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 6:10 PM
To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Stratus-List: Backup ignition failure

Tim, thanks so much for posting this. I haven't had that part fail yet, but if I do, I know how to make one now.
Ron
Stratus/Ram heads/Ram rebuild/Zenair 601HDS/Los Angeles

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Tim <tshankland(at)sbcglobal.net<mailto:tshankland(at)sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
A couple of weeks ago the backup ignition on my Stratus engine failed. I tracked the failure down to the sensor by the flywheel. An e-mail Mykal gave me the news that the part was obsolete and no longer available. My further inquiry with Mykal got the part number of the old part. Some on line research gave me the specs of the old parts and a potential replacement. I can tell you that I have been successful in repairing the dead sensor. If you have a dead sensor or might this is what you have to do.

The replacement part is a SS461A Hall effect switch available from Jameco for about $1.10 each, but you have to buy 10, that's good that way you'll have spares if you mess up anything. First you have to remove the "guts of the old sensor. I found a hot air gun and metal pick will remove most of it with a little time. During this process the washer on the end of the sensor will probably fall out if it hasn't all ready. The sensor is just a 3/4 inch rod drilled through will a 25/64 hole and then drilled about half way down with a 9/16th. When you get all the epoxy out of the 9/16 part just heat it up good and punch the rest out. Remove the old device from the wires. The new device will require one addition, a pull up resistor. It goes between the + terminal of the device and the output. I put mine inside the sensor but it could be attached at the plug end if desired. The resistor can be between 4 and 24K 1/8 watt. The red lead to the plug connect to the + of the device, the black lead to the - and the green lead to the O. If you put the resistor inside make sure to get heat shrink over everything so the leads don't touch each other or the metal housing. I used 1 hour epoxy to fill in the housing. Put a piece of clear tap over the end and bend the sensor leads such that faceted side of the device, the one with the number on it faces out. I filled the small end of the sensor with epoxy first and positioned the device as close as I could to the tape. Make sure the wire is such that the mounting screw will fit in. After that part set up a little I put the mounting screw in and fill the it up the top. After it sets a little bit turn the screw to break it lose from the epoxy, it will be a LOT harder later. I filed the hole out after it set up so the screw would turn easily and make sure the sensor was solidly mounted to the engine. I expect that this sensor will hold up better than the original since the old one was only rated up to 100 C and the crankcase part of the engine can get up to 115 C. The new part is rated for up to 150 C.
Tim Shankland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: