Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NavWorx / SL 70 -> Extended mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: NavWorx / SL 70 -> Extended mode Reply with quote

Quote:
From the folks at NavWorx - kudos to them for documenting this...I expect to find it in a NavWorx manual update soon.

The SL70 IM is missing the instructions on how to configure it for “extended” mode.

On page 31 of the 2003 Garmin SL70 installation manual, Appendix E – “Serial Interface Specification”, there is reference/clue in the paragraph “Message Definitions”. Messages are
divided into two groups, the “Standard Message” which is simply the pressure altitude and system status and the “Extended Message” group which includes the squawk code and all the other good stuff listed in Appendix E. The last sentence references that this
is accomplished in the setup mode and saved in the EEPROM. What is missing is exactly how to do this.

The procedure is as follows:

Reference page 12 of the 2003 Apollo SL70 Installation Manual – Post Installation Checkout

Put the unit in setup mode:
A. To operate the SL70 in the setup mode – hold down the “IDENT” and “ALT” buttons while turning the power on

Turn the large knob to the “SL70 config” page
a. This should be one click clockwise and change from “set up” to “SL70 config”

Using the small knob:
a. Turn to ASRC – This is the altitude source page
b. The two choices for altitude “INPUT” are gray or serial
i. Unless Navworx can update its software to run at 1200 baud, an encoder capable of gray code and or a serial to gray code convertor such as Dynon Manufactures will
need to be used to interface with the SL70. The SL70 will only accept altitude data from an encoder at 1200 baud.

ii. So at this point assuming you use the serial to gray converter, set the input to GRAY by:
1. Press the ident button – the serial or gray field will start to flash
2. Set to gray if not already indicating gray
3. Press ident again to set into the memory if the setting was changed, if not proceed

Turn the small knob one click to set the baud rate
a. To select and change the baud rate, press the ident button once, the baud rate field will start to flash
b. To interface with the Navworx unit, at present, the baud rate will need to be set to 9,600
c. Turn the small knob until 9600 in displayed and press the ident button again to set into memory
Here is what is missing from the manual Turn the small knob clockwise one click to the next input screen
a. The next screen is the TX screen – The TX is for the message transmit format used on the serial port
b. There are two options – Standard – “STD” and Extended “EXT”
c. Press the ident button to highlight the field. It will start to flash
d. Turn the small knob to set the “EXT” into the field
e. Press the ident button again to set the field

Cycle the SL70 power off and turn back on. The SL70 is good to go and should now be set up to control the Navworx unit

a. Using the maintenance port on the Navworx, set the “Input” screen to SL70 and DB37 pin 33.

I have not verified this from a functionality standpoint yet. In my installation, the SL70 port referenced above is currently being used to provide altitude data to my MX20 - so I have a couple of if scenarios.....:

If the baud rate on the SL70 port is currently at 9600 and if my MX20 ignores the extended stuff and parses out just the altitude, I'm OK by simply forking the serial output to both the MX20 and the ADS600B.

Otherwise, if the MX20 is version 5.6 or later, it should take altitude data along with the Lat/Long it is already receiving from the 420W and freeing up the port for dedicated communication with the ADS600B.

I prefer the latter - but I'll take whatever I can get!

Hope this helps - and thanks again to the NavWorx crew!

Ralph

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: