Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZK-TWU gear leg update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjaviator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update Reply with quote

Hi all....After many months of the usual setbacks and so forth we have the Rocket II ready to fly with a Team Rocket engine mount and legs plus the Hartzell Blended Aerofoil 2 blade prop.
Not too many headaches involved. The engine mount pretty much bolted straight in with only the two central pick up points requiring additional tube work to pick up the holes on the firewall.  Fuel pump clearance was still an issue (as it seems to be on most I believe?)
Other minor muck-arounds were having to relocate the location where the fuel line comes through the firewall and reworking the exhaust pipes where they pass by the gear sockets.
We also had to shim the engine to left in order to get the spinner to match the cowls but I think this was always a bit out of line so it was a good opportunity to sort it out.
The Team Rocket set-up certainly raises the point of the spinner up about 10 inches or so, thus the aircraft has a more aggressive stance on the ground.
We weighed her today and there was minimal change to the empty weight but arm has moved aft 3.5 inches to 87.72" aft of datum.
We don't have any drawings so I was wondering if someone out there could give me the moment arms for pilot, passenger, fuel and baggage so I can do some loaded CG calculations to keep our Feds happy??
Our flight limitations sheet lists the forward limit as 83.2" and the aft limit as 93.9"

Thanks to Mark at Team Rocket - he was very helpful!
Best regards, Jay
New Zealand

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Rocket-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
stuart(at)stuarthutchison

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update Reply with quote

Yes mate, fuel pump clearance is often an issue on RV-4 and Rocket aircraft. I machined and installed an overflow tube (below), turned the open hole inwards, JB Welded the top and bottom of the shaft where it passes through the outlet and also JB Welded a flat disc in the hole then smoothed off after it set. After all, this part's only function is to limit fuel passing into the crankcase if the diaphragm should rupture.
[img]cid:A1E693E6-6B11-472B-B5D8-B6010F0B62EA(at)Home[/img]

[img]cid:3E1FBA0C-2D79-4AA7-9415-24DD20732955(at)Home[/img]
I have an actual formal W&B for a mate’s F1, but I need to check with him that I can release it … t’was a paid service. Will let you know ASAP.

Cheers, Stu
Quote:
On 4 Mar 2015, at 10:21 pm, Jay McIntyre <cjaviator(at)gmail.com (cjaviator(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Hi all....After many months of the usual setbacks and so forth we have the Rocket II ready to fly with a Team Rocket engine mount and legs plus the Hartzell Blended Aerofoil 2 blade prop.
Not too many headaches involved. The engine mount pretty much bolted straight in with only the two central pick up points requiring additional tube work to pick up the holes on the firewall. Fuel pump clearance was still an issue (as it seems to be on most I believe?)
Other minor muck-arounds were having to relocate the location where the fuel line comes through the firewall and reworking the exhaust pipes where they pass by the gear sockets.
We also had to shim the engine to left in order to get the spinner to match the cowls but I think this was always a bit out of line so it was a good opportunity to sort it out.

The Team Rocket set-up certainly raises the point of the spinner up about 10 inches or so, thus the aircraft has a more aggressive stance on the ground.

We weighed her today and there was minimal change to the empty weight but arm has moved aft 3.5 inches to 87.72" aft of datum.

We don't have any drawings so I was wondering if someone out there could give me the moment arms for pilot, passenger, fuel and baggage so I can do some loaded CG calculations to keep our Feds happy??
Our flight limitations sheet lists the forward limit as 83.2" and the aft limit as 93.9"

Best regards, Jay
New Zealand

Quote:

class="">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
class="">http://forums.matronics.com
class="">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

13537m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  688.1 KB
 Viewed:  5493 Time(s)

13537m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg

13541m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  599.64 KB
 Viewed:  5493 Time(s)

13541m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg

voltar(at)vx-aviation.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update Reply with quote

For my Harmon Rocket II:
YMMV

Vern Little

[img]cid:C54B203523C34ACDB3606504A54FC461(at)Sprocket[/img]

From: Stuart Hutchison (stuart(at)stuarthutchison.com.au)
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 4:10 AM
To: rocket-list(at)matronics.com (rocket-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: ZK-TWU gear leg update

Yes mate, fuel pump clearance is often an issue on RV-4 and Rocket aircraft. I machined and installed an overflow tube (below), turned the open hole inwards, JB Welded the top and bottom of the shaft where it passes through the outlet and also JB Welded a flat disc in the hole then smoothed off after it set. After all, this part's only function is to limit fuel passing into the crankcase if the diaphragm should rupture.
[img]cid:11BB2DFB69C145F0BE060D5017804D95(at)Sprocket[/img]

[img]cid:B50EDDF317414F908F935FFDFE4F5390(at)Sprocket[/img]

I have an actual formal W&B for a mate’s F1, but I need to check with him that I can release it … t’was a paid service. Will let you know ASAP.

Cheers, Stu

Quote:
On 4 Mar 2015, at 10:21 pm, Jay McIntyre <cjaviator(at)gmail.com (cjaviator(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Hi all.... After many months of the usual setbacks and so forth we have the Rocket II ready to fly with a Team Rocket engine mount and legs plus the Hartzell Blended Aerofoil 2 blade prop.
Not too many headaches involved. The engine mount pretty much bolted straight in with only the two central pick up points requiring additional tube work to pick up the holes on the firewall. Fuel pump clearance was still an issue (as it seems to be on most I believe?)

Best regards, Jay
New Zealand

Quote:

class="">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
class="">http://forums.matronics.com
class="">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

image[2].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  321.17 KB
 Viewed:  5487 Time(s)

image[2].png

13537m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg
 Description:

13537m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg

13541m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg
 Description:

13541m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg

nrsage86(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update Reply with quote

Vern,

I have a Harmon Rocket 2 that I extensively rebuilt and did a full weight and CG calculation for. I will attach the spreadsheet I used (borrowed from another HR2 guy) that I believe is accurate. My HR2 is a bit lighted at the nose because I replaced the metal Hartzell prop with an MT two-blade prop. Also, the prop governor is a little lighter that the one used with the Hartzell. All told, I probably saved 15 pounds at the nose. You might be interested in two other weight and balance products: the one included in the Foreflight Application for iPad/Phone and another titled "CG Finder Plus". I use both/either and they are very accurate.

On my aircraft, I have the following arm/weight combinations:
Plane: 85.14" / 1229 pounds
Pilot:   105.0" / 210 pounds
Fuel:   86.50" / 252 pounds
Passenger: 136.0" / Varies
Fwd Baggage: 156.0" / Varies ( I split the baggage area for weight/balance. The "Fwd" area is in front of and above the battery. The "Aft" baggage areas is behind the battery and all the way to the aft bulkhead.)
Aft Baggage: 187.0" / Varies
I also included parachutes:
Fwd Chute: 114.5" / 15 pounds
Aft Chute: 145.5" / 15 pounds

The research I have done also indicates a maximum weight of 2000 pounds and a CG range of 86.76" to 97.40".

Fly Safe,
Randy Sage
Peachtree City, GA
USA
[quote] ---

image[2].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  321.17 KB
 Viewed:  5485 Time(s)

image[2].png

13537m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg
 Description:

13537m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg

13541m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg
 Description:

13541m_-_D300_SHUP.jpg

F-1Hwtbal.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  F-1Hwtbal.xls
 Filesize:  32.5 KB
 Downloaded:  439 Time(s)

voltar(at)vx-aviation.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update Reply with quote

The only authority I used was Van's wing CG spec http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/RV4wb.pdf
All of my arm measurements are actual, not derived from another a/c.
Your forward cg spec is outside of Van's limits.
Just sayin. If you've flight and landing tested to your limits you are good to go. I know that single place, I like to carry ballast for 3-point landings. The F1 gear is mounted farther fwd and can handle the fwd cg for landings. I Don't recommend using F1 data for Harmon, though.
======Vernon R. Little | President, Vx Aviation

On Mar 4, 2015, at 3:09 PM, Nancy and Randy <nrsage86(at)comcast.net (nrsage86(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote] Vern,

I have a Harmon Rocket 2 that I extensively rebuilt and did a full weight and CG calculation for. I will attach the spreadsheet I used (borrowed from another HR2 guy) that I believe is accurate. My HR2 is a bit lighted at the nose because I replaced the metal Hartzell prop with an MT two-blade prop. Also, the prop governor is a little lighter that the one used with the Hartzell. All told, I probably saved 15 pounds at the nose. You might be interested in two other weight and balance products: the one included in the Foreflight Application for iPad/Phone and another titled "CG Finder Plus". I use both/either and they are very accurate.

On my aircraft, I have the following arm/weight combinations:
Plane: 85.14" / 1229 pounds
Pilot:   105.0" / 210 pounds
Fuel: 86.50" / 252 pounds
Passenger: 136.0" / Varies
Fwd Baggage: 156.0" / Varies  ( I split the baggage area for weight/balance. The "Fwd" area is in front of and above the battery. The "Aft" baggage areas is behind the battery and all the way to the aft bulkhead.)
Aft Baggage: 187.0" /   Varies
I also included parachutes:
Fwd Chute: 114.5" /  15 pounds
Aft Chute: 145.5" / 15 pounds

The research I have done also indicates a maximum weight of 2000 pounds and a CG range of 86.76" to 97.40".

Fly Safe,
Randy Sage
Peachtree City, GA
USA
[quote] ---

nrsage86(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: ZK-TWU gear leg update Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, Vern. I will certainly look into the subject a bit more.

Randy
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: