Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clearances for Vetterman 4-pipe on Older RV-4 O-360

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedroagua(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Clearances for Vetterman 4-pipe on Older RV-4 O-360 Reply with quote

Guys,

I've got an older RV-4, 1988 vintage, with an O-360 and a fixed-pitch prop (and cowling).  My old exhaust system had to go due to cracks, and I'm trying to install a Vetterman 4-pipe system that I bought.  My concern is, the ball joint of the pipe off the number 2 cylinder comes to within about 1/2 to 3/8 inch of the cowling fiberglass.  Larry Veterman's instructions say that the pipes should be 3/4 inch from the cowling, minimum.
  Anybody got any experience with this?  After all the metal-bending I've down so far, I don't feel like switching to a crossover... and I might end up with the same problem.

Thanks,
Pedro

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1˘/min.

- The Matronics RV4-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List
PGLong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Clearances for Vetterman 4-pipe on Older RV-4 O-360 Reply with quote

Had the same problem with my -4. Cowling got so warm in one area it turned almost to jelly. Glued a piece of foil coated (asbestos?) fabric to the cowling in this area and problem solved. If your interested, I could find out from my race car friend what it was and where he got it.  
Pat Long
PGLong(at)aol.com
N120PL
RV4
Bay City, Michigan
3CM

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Robin Marks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Clearances for Vetterman 4-pipe on Older RV-4 O-360 Reply with quote

Pat,
            I am interested in the product name & source plus the best choice of adhesive!

Robin
RV-4     Sold
RV-6A   300 Hours
RV-10   Building

From: owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of PGLong(at)aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 5:22 AM
To: rv4-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Clearances for Vetterman 4-pipe on Older RV-4 O-360

Had the same problem with my -4. Cowling got so warm in one area it turned almost to jelly. Glued a piece of foil coated (asbestos?) fabric to the cowling in this area and problem solved. If your interested, I could find out from my race car friend what it was and where he got it.

Pat Long
PGLong(at)aol.com
N120PL
RV4
Bay City, Michigan
3CM

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Clearances for Vetterman 4-pipe on Older RV-4 O-360 Reply with quote

Robin, Try Wicks Aircraft supply, the product is called Thermocool...

RR

Robin Marks <robin(at)mrmoisture.com> wrote:
Quote:
Pat,
            I am interested in the product name & source plus the best choice of adhesive!

Robin
RV-4     Sold
RV-6A   300 Hours
RV-10   Building

From: owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv4-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of PGLong(at)aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 5:22 AM

Pat Long
PGLong(at)aol.com
N120PL
RV4
Bay City, Michigan
3CM

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

mbick(at)carolina.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Clearances for Vetterman 4-pipe on Older RV-4 O-360 Reply with quote

Summit racing has a pretty good online store

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=4294923429+4294923290+115+4294853962

Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:22 AM

Pat Long
PGLong(at)aol.com
N120PL
RV4
Bay City, Michigan
3CM

PGLong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Clearances for Vetterman 4-pipe on Older RV-4 O-360 Reply with quote

Hi Robin

Checked into the product I used for heat problems with my exhaust. Here it is. It's called Heatscreen #DSN010401 made by Design Engineering, Inc., and was purchased from Motorstate Distributors. Their web site is Motorstate.com and phone is 800-772-2678. The product is described as aluminized radiant heat screen, good for temperatures up to 2000 degrees on the aluminum side, and 1000 degrees on the fabric side. I used the red high temperature silicon to make it stick to my cowl. Would highly recommend it for those close clearance exhaust problems. This material is roughly 1/16" to 3/32" thick. Hope this solves your heat problem.  

Pat Long
PGLong(at)aol.com
N120PL
RV4
Bay City, Michigan
3CM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: