Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

912s vs. Jabiru 3300?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darinh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

I am trying to make a decision between the 912s and the Jabiru 3300 for my series 7 and would like any and all comments or thoughts on either one. If anyone has experience with both, their comments would be greatly appreciated. I like the fact that the Jabiru doesn't have a gearbox and has 20 more hp. I also like the fact that it has a longer TBO and the cost of that overhaul is substantially less than the Rotax. The Jabiru is a bit heavier but not much so the weight to hp ratio is about the same. I have owned a 912UL and I know they are bulletproof (at least mine was), but...

All comments welcome.

Thanks, Darin

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Kaufjm(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

I have a Kitfox IV with a 912 ULS and I'll hopefully never own another aircraft with a Rotax! I 
 Go with the Jabiru.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Michel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

On Jul 1, 2006, at 6:29 AM, darinh wrote:
Quote:
All comments welcome.

I have a Jabiru 2200, Darin, and I am extremely pleased with it. I have
also been for two years on the Yahoo Jabiru list and I hear a lot about
the 3300. So far no noticeable complain from the owners. Mind you, the
2200 is so-called third generation engine and the 3300 is newer.
I also like the direct drive, air-cooled principle. In my mind, less is
more. What doesn't exist, can't brake down.
One thing, though: If you intend to have a complex propeller like
in-flight pitch adjustable, the Jabiru may not be the best choice
because, as I understand it, the direct drive transmits engine harmonic
vibrations to the prop.

Cheers,
Michel

janderson412(at)hotmail.c

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a Kitfox IV with a 912 ULS and I'll hopefully never own another aircraft with a Rotax! I 
 Go with the Jabiru. Or Subarooooo

Looking for love? Check out XtraMSN Personals

n981ms(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

As I was considering engines, Frank Miller at Skystar suggested to me that the rpm required to get the rated HP on the Jabiru limits prop diameter and therefore short field performance somewhat.  I ended up with the Continental IO240 and I am pleased.  That being said, the guys who actually have Jabirus on Foxes like them a lot.  I have hac 2 friends with Titans and they loved the 4 cylinder Jab.

Maxwell

darinh <gerns25(at)netscape.net> wrote:
[quote]--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "darinh"

I am trying to make a decision between the 912s and the Jabiru 3300 for my series 7 and would like any and all comments or thoughts on either one. If anyone has experience with both, their comments would be greatly appreciated. I like the fact that the Jabiru

Michel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

On Jul 1, 2006, at 2:59 PM, W Duke wrote:
Quote:
rpm required to get the rated HP on the Jabiru limits prop diameter
and therefore short field performance somewhat.

That is true. I was told that direct drives deliver lesser torque and
hence can't spin a large prop. Mine is 60 by 38 inches and only two
blades. I get off the ground as fast as with the 582 but most probably
not as with a 912. With 2,400 ft of asphalt, at sea level, in a "cold"
country, short field performance was not an issue for me.

Cheers,
Michel

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

Darinh,

I just checked the Jabiru website and they do claim a 2000 hour TBO. What I
wonder about that is Rotax increased their TBOs stepwise as they gained
experience with the engines. My thought is that because the Jabiru engines
are fairly new by Rotax standards, I doubt there are many Jabs that have
reached TBO. I wonder how they got their numbers.

Lowell
---

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

Jon,

I feel exactly the opposite as do all the guys I fly with and the 30 Rotax
912 series aircraft at the Rans fly-in in Utah last weekend. I am curious
about specifics. You gave us an opinion - how about the reasons for your
opinion.

Lowell
---

jdmcbean(at)cableone.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

If I remember correctly.. the Jab is a 1000 hour top and a 2000 hour
bottom...

Fly Safe !!
John & Debra McBean
www.kitfoxaircraft.com www.sportplanellc.com
"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

--

Michel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

On Jul 1, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Lowell Fitt wrote:
Quote:
My thought is that because the Jabiru engines are fairly new by Rotax
standards, I doubt there are many Jabs that have reached TBO. I
wonder how they got their numbers.

Good point, Lowell, and I have been wondering about the same. But
first, while TBO is 2,000 hours, the engine needs a cylinder head
service at 1,000. So, it's not 2,000 hours with only changing the oil
and filter. Then, I understand that the engine is certified in
Australia. I don't know all the mumbo-jumbo of what is certified and
what is not, but I think that their TBO is not only marketing stuff but
controlled by a stately aviation authority.
Well, with my 132 hours, I still have some time to go before I need to
worry about TBO! Smile

Cheers,
Michel

mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

Yup, with 700hrs. on mine, without a complaint. All I do is oil changes and put the dreaded fuel in the tanks. What's suppose to be wrong with them.

smokey_bear_40220(at)yaho

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

Hi Darin,

I was very close to buying the #4 Jabber 3300, but it
was just too much risk for me at the time. The
factory was not ready to support installation in the
KF yet. Got the Soob with the whole package instead.

Today I would support the Jabber very strongly. The
installation, except for cooling ducts, is very simple
and easy to maintain afterwords. Look at any of the
other planes with a 3300 in them and you would be
impressed as to how simple it can be. The 6 cylinder
will be smoother than the 4 Rotax. Overall costs
should be lower than the Rotax, who's parts keep going
up a lot to me.

I have heard nothing seriously bad about the Jabbers
in years. Just use the right prop. They don't handle
heavy props well. But the Rotax has the problems
often talked about on our site. Thrown carbs, shaking
start, cracks and stuff. It just makes me think the
Jabber is a bit better.

Only if you need the short field performance of the
long props on Rotax are they the better bet in my
book.

Kurt S.

--- darinh <gerns25(at)netscape.net> wrote:

Quote:
I am trying to make a decision between the 912s and
the Jabiru 3300 for my series 7 and would like any
and all comments or thoughts on either one. If
anyone has experience with both, their comments
would be greatly appreciated. I like the fact that
the Jabiru doesn't have a gearbox and has 20 more
hp. I also like the fact that it has a longer TBO
and the cost of that overhaul is substantially less
than the Rotax. The Jabiru is a bit heavier but not
much so the weight to hp ratio is about the same. I
have owned a 912UL and I know they are bulletproof
(at least mine was), but...

All comments welcome.

Thanks, Darin

darinh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

I spoke with Pete at USJabiru and he did state that the engine requires a top overhaul at 1000 ($1700 parts and labor) and a complete overhaul at 2000 ($5500 parts and labor). The cost for overhaul on the Jabiru is significantly cheaper than the Rotax.

I have heard about the prop issue which for me may be the major deciding factor. I live in Utah and I try to stay away from pavement as much as possible and take every chance I get to get into the short strips in Idaho. I don't see why an in-flight adjustable would be a problem though. These engines are direct drive just like a lycosaurus or continental and they have CS props all the time, granted most in the 120 range have fixed. If this engine doesn't have the torque down low in the rpm range it seems to me that an in-flight adjustable would be the perfect fit as you could decrease pitch on take off to allow the engine to reach its peak rpm. I don't want to add the weight of a CS prop and governor so that is out of the question but I very much want to have the ability to increase pitch during flight to get better cruise speed. I have an emial into USJabiru on the subject and will post it when it comes.

I received my AOPA Pilot mag yesterday and they have a little piece on the 3300 in the "engine talk" section so I will review that and see if it has any pointers. I also learned that the Certified Legend Cub has an option for the Jabiru 3300 so the engine must have gained certification in the states. Lastly, someone mentioned that they were curious if Jabiru had many engines that had gone to TBO. I don't know the answer but it is my understanding that they have been building engines for 14 or 15 years now so my guess is that they have had plenty go that long.

I am very interested by the engine for the extra power and the simplicity of it being direct drive an all...but I loved my last 912 and if I can't put an IFA prop on the Jab, I think it will be an easy choice. Thanks for all the comments, and suggestions and keep them coming if anyone has any more.

Darin

clint_bazzill(at)hotmail.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

MY 3 cents worth now.  Again, ride in the airplane with the 3300 and then with the 912ULS.  You will get your answer in a hurry.  The 3300 is 200 cubin inches, same as a 0200.  figure it out.    Clint  PS don't forget your earplugs.

[quote]
Reply-To:  kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
To:  kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject:  Re: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300?
Date:  Sat, 1 Jul 2006 15:07:30 -0700
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "darinh" <gerns25(at)netscape.net>

I spoke with Pete at USJabiru and he did state that the engine requires a top overhaul at 1000 ($1700 parts and labor) and a complete overhaul at 2000 ($5500 parts and labor).  The cost for overhaul on the Jabiru is significantly cheaper than the Rotax.

I have heard about the prop issue which for me may be the major deciding factor.  I live in Utah and I try to stay away from pavement as much as possible and take every chance I get to get into the short strips in Idaho.  I don't see why an in-flight adjustable would be a problem though.  These engines are direct drive just like a lycosaurus or continental and they have CS props all the time, granted most in the 120 range have fixed.  If this engine doesn't have the torque down low in the rpm range it seems to me that an in-flight adjustable would be the perfect fit as you could decrease pitch on take off to allow the engine to reach its peak rpm.  I don't want to add the weight of a CS prop and governor so that is out of the question but I very much want to have the ability to increase pitch during flight to get better cruise speed.  I have an emial into USJabiru on the subject and will post it when it comes.

I received my AOPA Pilot mag yesterday and they have a little piece on the 3300 in the "engine talk" section so I will review that and see if it has any pointers.  I also learned that the Certified Legend Cub has an option for the Jabiru 3300 so the engine must have gained certification in the states.  Lastly, someone mentioned that they were curious if Jabiru had many engines that had gone to TBO.  I don't know the answer but it is my understanding that they have been building engines for 14 or 15 years now so my guess is that they have had plenty go that long.

I am very interested by the engine for the extra power and the simplicity of it being direct drive an all...but I loved my last 912 and if I can't put an IFA prop on the Jab, I think it will be an easy choice.  Thanks for all the comments, and suggestions and keep them coming if anyone has any more.

Darin

Read this topic online

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

---

taildragon(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]-->  
You know, Lowell, John McB would love for you to build a Classic IV with a Jabiru. You could probably build it in less than a year. You could take it on your "back-country" trips next summer! Have you (or anyone else out there) considered an Aero-Lift for your hangar? That way you could build while having your flying "Fox" hovering over you for inspiration!

Roger

P.S. Or you could use the Rotec radial and have some fun designing a cowl to fit the Rotec...Wow! Classic airplane, Classic radial!
[quote] ---

mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

wait a minute. Do you even know why those carbs fall off? try because the intake manifolds are reversed to accomidate the cowling on the model 4's. All you need to do is do the proper start up and shut down and the carbs will not be a factor, same for the cracking of the tubes. I don't know if you need to do the manifolds on the 7 but the manifolds are reversed on the 4's and below. With them reversed the carbs are shoved further outside of center, thus any shake of the engine is magnified and causes the carbs to fall off.

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

Hi Roger, The rumor I hear is that Kitfox LLC has discontinued the Model IV
to focus on the big airframe. If I did build one it would have to be a
"used" kit. And then I would have to convince myself the Jab would be a
good idea. I prefer someone else doing that - I'd go for another Rotax in a
heart beat..

Lowell

---

clint_bazzill(at)hotmail.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

Just had a long talk with with Phil Laker.  There new model 7 will come in at 750 lbs with a 912ULS.  Won't lose it's 1550 gross.  Great work for Kitfox.  Clint

[quote]
Reply-To:  kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
To:  <kitfox-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject:  Re: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300?
Date:  Sat, 1 Jul 2006 19:20:34 -0700
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Lowell Fitt" <lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net>

Hi Roger,  The rumor I hear is that Kitfox LLC has discontinued the Model IV to focus on the big airframe.  If I did build one it would have to be a "used" kit.  And then I would have to convince myself the Jab would be a good idea.  I prefer someone else doing that - I'd go for another Rotax in a heart beat..

Lowell

---

darinh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 912s vs. Jabiru 3300? Reply with quote

clint_bazzill(at)hotmail. wrote:
MY 3 cents worth now.? Again, ride in the airplane with the 3300 and then with the 912ULS.? You will get your answer in a hurry.? The 3300 is 200 cubin inches, same as a 0200.? figure it out.? ? Clint? PS don't forget your earplugs.

Clint,

I don't quite follow, are you saying you think it would be a good idea or not? The Jab may be 200 cubes like the 0200 but it has 20 more horses and weighs about 25 to 30 lbs less. I think is would outperform the 0200 hands down...please expound on your post if you will. I still would like to find someone who has experience with both engines, anybody have any contacts...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: