Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alternator
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

Guys,

I am installing my new CAMit 40 amp alternator on my Jabiru 3300 and the wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired.

I would like to be able to shut it down in case the regulator goes crazy and is over charging or under charging.

It is a NipponDenso with three terminals. The two together is 12 v from the battery and a light bulb on the other. The larger terminal is for the output to the load / battery.

I am looking for a 50 amp circuit breaker to install between the alternator and the load / battery. Steinair does not show a 50 amp breaker or shunts

I also want to know if I need to switch the 12 v. sense line or the light bulb line to the alternator. We put it on a test bench at a friends auto battery / generator shop and it did not put out voltage with out the light circuit on. So I do not know if it will work with out the light circuit but I do not want to install one unless it is required.

Will the shunt that came with the firewall forward kit for the Jabiru 3300 with the 16 amp permanent magnet alternator work with the forty amp alternator.

I really could use some help on developing a working wiring diagram and the proper components. I hate to let the smoke out of more stuff.

Thanks for any help

Bobby ( age 76 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Bing Carb 260 Main & 290 Needle Jet
Status - Flying  236 hrs.
Do Not Archive

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
nuckollsr

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

At 04:23 PM 5/12/2015, you wrote:
Guys,
I am installing my new CAMit 40 amp alternator on my Jabiru 3300 and the wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired.

Consider this one . . .

[img]cid:.0[/img][/i][/b]
I would like to be able to shut it down in case the regulator goes crazy and is over charging or under charging.
It is a NipponDenso with three terminals. The two together is 12 v from the battery and a light bulb on the other. The larger terminal is for the output to the load / battery.

This will do that.

I am looking for a 50 amp circuit breaker to install between the alternator and the load / battery. Steinair does not show a 50 amp breaker or shunts

Use a 40A 'current limiter' (fat fuse) at
the BAT terminal of the starter contactor.

See http://www.bandc.biz/anlcurrentlimiters40athrough130a.aspx

I also want to know if I need to switch the 12 v. sense line or the light bulb line to the alternator. We put it on a test bench at a friends auto battery / generator shop and it did not put out voltage with out the light circuit on. So I do not know if it will work with out the light circuit but I do not want to install one unless it is required.

Hook the LIGHT terminal to the IGN terminal with
a 150 Ohm, 1 Watt resistor . . .

Will the shunt that came with the firewall forward kit for the Jabiru 3300 with the 16 amp permanent magnet alternator work with the forty amp alternator.
I really could use some help on developing a working wiring diagram and the proper components. I hate to let the smoke out of more stuff.

Does the shunt have any markings on it? What kind of instrument
displays current sensed by the shunt?

Bob . . .

-----------------------------
Bob Nuckolls
AeroElectric Connection
P.O. Box 130
Medicine Lodge, KS 67104-0130
Mobile: 316-209-7528
Web: http://aeroelectric.com
------------------------------

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

528e05a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.5 KB
 Viewed:  8322 Time(s)

528e05a.jpg

nuckollsr

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

At 04:23 PM 5/12/2015, you wrote:
Guys,

Consider this one . . .

[img]cid:.0[/img][/i][/b]

This will do that.

Use a 40A 'current limiter' (fat fuse) at
the BAT terminal of the starter contactor.

See http://www.bandc.biz/anlcurrentlimiters40athrough130a.aspx

Hook the LIGHT terminal to the IGN terminal with
a 150 Ohm, 1 Watt resistor . . .

Does the shunt have any markings on it? What kind of instrument
displays current sensed by the shunt?

Bob . . .

Bob Nuckolls
AeroElectric Connection
P.O. Box 130

528e05a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.5 KB
 Viewed:  8322 Time(s)

528e05a.jpg

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

Bob,

Thank you very much.

You answered a lot of my many questions.

I will be ordering the 40 amp current limiter and mounting base immediately.

My friend at the auto battery / generator shop said I should not shut down the alternator under load. I do not expect to do that but was wondering if it became necessary would turning off the ign line to it shut it down in an emergency?? I know I can shut it down with the solenoid but I would also loose battery power which would shut down radio, EFIS & EMS.

Any suggestions on where to purchase small quantities of aircraft grade wire ( #8 ) and a quality 150 ohm 1 watt resistor.

Many Thanks to all that responded

Bobby
[quote][b]

nuckollsr

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

At 03:22 PM 5/13/2015, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob,
Thank you very much.
I will be ordering the 40 amp current limiter and mounting base immediately.
My friend at the auto battery / generator shop said I should not shut down the alternator under load.

If the alternator has been re-manufactured by a
reputable company, turning it off under load represents
no hazard. See the chapter on Engine Drive Power Sources
when you book arrives.

Quote:
I do not expect to do that but was wondering if it became necessary would turning off the ign line to it shut it down in an emergency?? I know I can shut it down with the solenoid but I would also loose battery power which would shut down radio, EFIS & EMS.

No, the switch I show is the B&C S700-2-10, three position
switch that emulates the split rocker switch in many TC
aircraft. You move the switch down one notch to turn off
the alternator only . . . this leaves the battery on until you
move the switch fully down.

Quote:
Any suggestions on where to purchase small quantities of aircraft grade wire ( #8 ) and a quality 150 ohm 1 watt resistor.

The resistor will come with your book/cd. Did B&C fix
you up on wire? Here's an update on the alternator
wiring showing the resistor installation.

[img]cid:.0[/img]

Bob . . .

Bob Nuckolls
AeroElectric Connection
P.O. Box 130

205c2fb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.02 KB
 Viewed:  8318 Time(s)

205c2fb.jpg

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

Bob

Thank you very much.

I will be ordering the current limiter and support immediately.

bobby
[quote][b]

rmuff(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

This is a set of follow-up questions for Bob Nuckolls.  I performed the Jabiru alternator modification on my Jab 3300 to put the two windings in series but have not run the engine in this configuration yet.  Were you able to come up with a Rectifier/Regulator solution?  I am hesitant to try to restore the original configuration of the wiring for fear of causing greater electrical problems, and would rather not increase the aircraft empty weight by mounting an automotive type alternator. 
     If it is advisable to try to restore the original configuration, is there a coating readily available to help maintain the insulation of the coil wires?
   Thanks for your interest on this topic, I always appreciate a helping hand.
Richard
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

Richard,

Make sure your wire splices do not protrude below the diameter of the coils in the Jabiru permanent magnet alt.

The coils are barely outside the diameter of the button head screws but if your soldered joints go inside that circle even if they are not sticking out beyond the coils they still may hit the tops of the button head screws.

bobby
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: