Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7F3-2 Installation of Longeron Doubler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: 7F3-2 Installation of Longeron Doubler Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am a bit confused with the building manual for installation of the Longeron Doubler, 7F3-2. The skin is pre-drilled and the longeron has been back drilled to it. The doubler as it comes from Zenith is not pre-drilled.
<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>I cannot figure out the purpose of the reference line, and if I could Cleco the doubler to the skin that would mean I’d have drilled the doubler and the job would be done??
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>Also Because the bottom skin has a bit of a convex curve to it if I remove the clecos holding the forward section of the longeron to the skin it springs away from the skin edge.

I have thought of drilling, countersinking and putting a couple of blind rivets in the skin to hold the longeron in place and then installing the doubler, but I don’t think that was the intention.

I believe I can clamp the doubler to the longeron with the piece of 0.016 sandwiched between them, and then having made a reference mark on th skin push the clamped assembly to this reference point and drill the holes in the doubler, but
there would be a tension on the assembly which could result in oval holes or miss drilling especially when back drilling the doubler through the skin and longeron. ????

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Perry

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

7F3-2_Longeron_Doubler.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  7F3-2_Longeron_Doubler.pdf
 Filesize:  411.97 KB
 Downloaded:  349 Time(s)

ch701builder(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: 7F3-2 Installation of Longeron Doubler Reply with quote

Hi Perry,
I'm not sure I can remember back to that portion, but.... Also remember that the SIDE skin will also get put between the doubler and longeron. I think this is the piece of .016" material they are talking about. Just make sure it is just a spacer and not pushed down into the bend of the longeron. I think you are on the right track, I think when I had things lined up, I then sandwiched the pieces between a scrap piece of wood screwed down to the work bench, and then finished drilling #20s in the correct places. Oh wait......I just saw it.... I don't know how I would go about it because the skin is pre-drilled.... I am scratch building so I drilled my own holes as a unit.

I guess go with the clamping thing then turn it over and back drill through the doubler. The Photo guide might have been made before they put out pre-drilled materials.. It shows 04/2003, so I'm not sure when they started kits with pre-drilled holes.

I think as long as things don't move, and are fixed as a unit, I think your drilling should be OK.

Keith
building my spars

plane progress so far: https://picasaweb.google.com/ch701builder

**********************************************************************************************
--------------------------------------------
On Thu, 8/13/15, Perry Delano <pdelano(at)telus.net> wrote:

Subject: 7F3-2 Installation of Longeron Doubler
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 10:19 AM

Hi All,  I am a bit confused with the
building manual for installation of the Longeron Doubler,
7F3-2. The skin is pre-drilled  and the longeron has
been back drilled to it. The doubler as it comes from Zenith
is not pre-drilled.

I cannot figure out the purpose of the
reference line, and if I could Cleco the doubler to the skin
that would mean I’d have drilled the doubler and the
job would be done??2.      
Also Because the bottom skin has a bit of a
convex curve to it if I remove the clecos holding the
forward section of the longeron to the skin it springs away
from the skin edge.  I
have thought of drilling, countersinking and putting a
couple of blind rivets in the skin to hold the longeron in
place and then installing the doubler, but I don’t
think that was the intention.
 I believe I can clamp the doubler
to the longeron with the piece of 0.016 sandwiched between
them, and then having made a reference mark on th skin push
the clamped assembly to this reference point and drill 
the holes in the doubler, butthere would be a tension on the
assembly which could result in oval holes or miss drilling
especially when back drilling the doubler through the skin
and longeron. ????  
 Any advice would be appreciated.
 Regards,
 Perry

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: 7F3-2 Installation of Longeron Doubler Reply with quote

Thanks Keith, I just clamped everything down and together, I think like you were suggesting. Cofirmed longeron and skin holes were cocentric c/w .016 spacer and drilled. All still looks good and in hindsight the final holes have to go to 5/32 so any minor sub mm misalignment would get cleaned up. Thanks again.

Perry
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: