Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting problem- solved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrstone54(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Starting problem- solved Reply with quote

I pasted my original post below describing my starting problem for your reference.
I would like to report I have found the solution to my problem. After a very thorough troubleshooting effort throughout the electro air system and my aircraft wiring, I was able to isolate the problem to the magnetic sensor. Of course I had to remove the propeller to get access to the sensor and the crank shaft timing wheel or CSTW. Even though my existing sensor omed-out in the normal range, it apparently was giving a false positive. I replaced the magnetic sensor, propeller and the engine start experience return to normal. Both cold and hot starts are similar to the starts I experienced before removing the impulse magneto. Thanks for your help, hope to meet you guys in the near future.
Jim Stone

- The Matronics Rocket-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
voltar(at)vx-aviation.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Starting problem- solved Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. BTW, I put a blast tube on my pickup. I took one apart to see how they are made and concluded that keeping them cool would help.
Vern

======Vernon R. Little | President, Vx Aviation

On Aug 27, 2015, at 5:38 PM, Jim Stone <jrstone54(at)att.net (jrstone54(at)att.net)> wrote:
[quote] I pasted my original post below describing my starting problem for your reference.
I would like to report I have found the solution to my problem. After a very thorough troubleshooting effort throughout the electro air system and my aircraft wiring, I was able to isolate the problem to the magnetic sensor. Of course I had to remove the propeller to get access to the sensor and the crank shaft timing wheel or CSTW. Even though my existing sensor omed-out in the normal range, it apparently was giving a false positive. I replaced the magnetic sensor, propeller and the engine start experience return to normal. Both cold and hot starts are similar to the starts I experienced before removing the impulse magneto. Thanks for your help, hope to meet you guys in the near future.
Jim Stone
I'm looking for ideas to improve my start up both cold and hot.
I have an IO 540 C4 B5 with a non impulse mag on the upper plugs and ElectroAir Electronic ignition (latest version on the lower plugs), and all aviation plugs.
I removed the slick impulse Mag a year ago after the Slick Rep advised me to "get it off that engine before it comes apart and stops your engine".
I have been starting with just the ElectroAir and realized it is not my starting technique as much as it is a lack of spark. ElectroAir told me that the system has to measure a pretty fast cranking speed for what seems like a long time before it produces a spark. This cranking pulls the battery voltage down and if the voltage to the ElectroAir controller falls below 11 volts, it no longer produces a spark. Of course I have no indication of no spark other than the obvious no start result. So with some luck the batteries hold up long enough tilI I get the mixture right, if not, recharge and try later.
I'm considering the slick start but it requires a different mag from Slick and a coupler which all together cost 2k.. Seems like a big price to pay for better start performance, but I'm considering it.
Does anyone have a proven solution?
TIA,
Jim Stone
[url=x-apple-data-detectors://0/1]Louisville Kentucky[/url]
HR 11

Quote:

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
t-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
//forums.matronics.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jrstone54(at)att.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Starting problem- solved Reply with quote

Not sure what u saw Lee, there is a newly painted RV10, I have a H-Rocket.
Jim

On Aug 27, 2015, at 8:58 PM, Lee Logan <leeloganster(at)gmail.com (leeloganster(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Wasn't that your new paint job on VAF today? If so---WOW!

Lee...

Quote:

[b]

smokyray(at)rocketmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Starting problem- solved Reply with quote

Jim,
Glad you got it solved, knew ya would!!!
After all, its not Rocket science...Smile
Cya
Smokey

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 28, 2015, at 10:54, Jim Stone <jrstone54(at)att.net (jrstone54(at)att.net)> wrote:
[quote]Not sure what u saw Lee, there is a newly painted RV10, I have a H-Rocket.
Jim

On Aug 27, 2015, at 8:58 PM, Lee Logan <leeloganster(at)gmail.com (leeloganster(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Wasn't that your new paint job on VAF today? If so---WOW!

Lee...

Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: