Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Choice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Engine Choice Reply with quote

Bill

A friend and I built ( 2 ) 601's side by side.

His has a Continental O-200. When we started the engine break-in we adjusted his idle speed. We have not touched it since except for oil changes.

My Jabiru 3300 has had high CHT's since day one. Can not get below 320 on rear cylinders. Carb jets were way off. I believe fuel distribution is still a problem. Tilt the carb one way and 5 gets high temp the other way and 6 goes high. I believe the early owners of the Jabiru were doing the Beta testing for the manufacturer.
If you want to stay with the Jabiru design look at Camit Aero Engines. They manufactured the Jabiru for Jabiru for the last 18 to 20 years.
They now have a rep in the USA. Their engine has all the updates ( including upgraded through bolts ) and some great new features like a 45 amp alternator. I have one on my Jab and it really is nice to be able to turn on all necessary electric appliances and not have to worry about burning up the PM alternator.

A friend had to top his 3300 at less than 200 hours. Most all the rings were stuck from carbon build up. Don't get one with the slow closing lifters.

I still wish I went with the O-200 Cont.

Bobby

Bobby  ( age 77 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Bing Carb 260 Main & 290 Needle Jet
Status - Flying 248 hrs.
Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
pete(at)usjabiru.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Engine Choice Reply with quote

Bobby,
I’m a little surprised at your comment.
Why are you telling this man that you have high CHT when your highest is 320 which is 72 degrees below max?  You say carb jets were way off – well of course they were as I’ve told you many times the carbs are jetted for a Jabiru airplane and need to be changed to suit the aircraft the engine is installed in.  I’ve advised you to use the instructions on our web site to tune your carb but it doesn’t seem like you’ve taken that advice.  We’ve sold 500 engines & firewall forward kits to Zenith builders and I’m not hearing these same problems from those who took the time to get their installation right.  We’re now seeing some of those engines back here for the 1000 hour top overhaul.  Zenith’s original installation on their demo 601 went well over 1000 hours with mostly routine maintenance.
I think a little less time spent seeking advice from internet “experts” and more time spent doing what is needed on your airplane would help you a great deal.

Pete Krotje
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft, LLC
931-680-2800
www.usjabiru.com
Office Hours:
Mon - Thur  9:00am to noon and 1:00pm to 4:00 pm Central Time
Friday 9:00 am to 1:00pm Central Time

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:14 AM
To: Server, JabiruEngine-List Digest
Subject: Engine Choice

Bill

His has a Continental O-200. When we started the engine break-in we adjusted his idle speed. We have not touched it since except for oil changes.

My Jabiru 3300 has had high CHT's since day one. Can not get below 320 on rear cylinders. Carb jets were way off. I believe fuel distribution is still a problem. Tilt the carb one way and 5 gets high temp the other way and 6 goes high. I believe the early owners of the Jabiru were doing the Beta testing for the manufacturer.

If you want to stay with the Jabiru design look at Camit Aero Engines. They manufactured the Jabiru for Jabiru for the last 18 to 20 years.

They now have a rep in the USA. Their engine has all the updates ( including upgraded through bolts ) and some great new features like a 45 amp alternator. I have one on my Jab and it really is nice to be able to turn on all necessary electric appliances and not have to worry about burning up the PM alternator.

A friend had to top his 3300 at less than 200 hours. Most all the rings were stuck from carbon build up. Don't get one with the slow closing lifters.

Bobby

Bobby ( age 77 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Status - Flying 248 hrs.

Do Not Archive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jerryvmd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Engine Choice Reply with quote

I don't usually respond to the list but I second Pete's comments.  I have an earlier 3300 (ser #531) on a Ch601HD.  Yes there are some adjustments that need to be done for each instillation but once they are done the engine runs well and reliably.  One comment that I disagree with is that rotating the carb changed the CHT's.  Rotating the carb is to change the mixture due to the way the Bing air flows into the carb.  It changes the EGT's not the CHT's.  The CHT's are a function of air flow thru the RAM ducts and cowl.  The early installers like me found that  changing the air exit from the bottom of the cowl by making the opening larger and installing an aerodynamic lip at the bottom to increase negative pressure and "suck" the air outsolved most of the heating problems.  The more airflow the lower the CHT's.  Pete is the expert on the carb needle jets.  I had to try several sizes before I found the correct jetting but now I am very happy.  Each instillation even on similar planes, is different.  I have over 400 hours on my 3300 and my CHT's are consistently in the 250-290 degree range and my EGT's are 1300 to 1400 and I burn about 5 GPH at 2740 RPM.
Jerry

On 9/15/2015 12:31 PM, Pete Krotje wrote:

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Bobby,
Why are you telling this man that you have high CHT when your highest is 320 which is 72 degrees below max?  You say carb jets were way off – well of course they were as I’ve told you many times the carbs are jetted for a Jabiru airplane and need to be changed to suit the aircraft the engine is installed in.  I’ve advised you to use the instructions on our web site to tune your carb but it doesn’t seem like you’ve taken that advice.  We’ve sold 500 engines & firewall forward kits to Zenith builders and I’m not hearing these same problems from those who took the time to get their installation right.  We’re now seeing some of those engines back here for the 1000 hour top overhaul.  Zenith’s original installation on their demo 601 went well over 1000 hours with mostly routine maintenance.
I think a little less time spent seeking advice from internet “experts” and more time spent doing what is needed on your airplane would help you a great deal.  
Bill

[b]

barnett6088(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Engine Choice Reply with quote

Bobby
I have 300 hours on my 3300 Jab. I don't have cooling problems with the engine in my Arion Lightning, average cyl. Temps are around 260 degrees F. The engine can be temperamental and requires care in its use. In the first 100 hours I noticed lead and carbon buildup in the cylinders and compression variations between 70 and 79 pounds. That looked like valve leakage and the engine does has a history of that problem with short cylinder lives. To correct the problem I started using o.4 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon of fuel. At the next annual compression check all cylinders were at 79 lbs. The oil analysis was excellent and the bore scope exams were much cleaner. Gary Barnett

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 15, 2015, at 6:13 AM, BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net) wrote:
[quote]Bill

Bobby

Bobby ( age 77 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Status - Flying 248 hrs.
Do Not Archive

Quote:

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
uEngine-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
//forums.matronics.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

gregbakker(at)hotkey.net.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Engine Choice Reply with quote

Hear hear!

Greg Bakker
NSW Australia

www.varieze.net

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Pete Krotje
Sent: Wednesday, 16 September 2015 2:32 AM
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Engine Choice

Bobby,
Why are you telling this man that you have high CHT when your highest is 320 which is 72 degrees below max? You say carb jets were way off – well of course they were as I’ve told you many times the carbs are jetted for a Jabiru airplane and need to be changed to suit the aircraft the engine is installed in. I’ve advised you to use the instructions on our web site to tune your carb but it doesn’t seem like you’ve taken that advice. We’ve sold 500 engines & firewall forward kits to Zenith builders and I’m not hearing these same problems from those who took the time to get their installation right. We’re now seeing some of those engines back here for the 1000 hour top overhaul. Zenith’s original installation on their demo 601 went well over 1000 hours with mostly routine maintenance.

Pete Krotje
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft, LLC
931-680-2800
www.usjabiru.com
Office Hours:
Mon - Thur 9:00am to noon and 1:00pm to 4:00 pm Central Time
Friday 9:00 am to 1:00pm Central Time

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net)
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:14 AM
To: Server, JabiruEngine-List Digest
Subject: Engine Choice

Bill

Bobby

Bobby ( age 77 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Status - Flying 248 hrs.

Do Not Archive

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List http://forums.matronics.com http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12277 (20150918) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12277 (20150918) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: