Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Flight CHT's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardranger(at)ozemail.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: In Flight CHT's Reply with quote

Gary, you have raised some very interesting issues on your flight to SLC, and I hope it stimulates good discussion.
Firstly, your hotted up engine does not sound as though it is yet run-in. The CHT's you observed are very high and consistent with a new powerplant. From my own experience, it took 30 hours at 75 percent power and very high (and expensive) fuel flows for the CHT's to settle below 400 F in cruise and for oil consumption to fall. They are now consistently between 360 and 390 at 65 percent power, with oil consumption minimal.
At standard atmosphere 75 pc power can only be achieved with wide open throttle (WOT) at 8,000 ft and less if the temp is higher; so that is probably the maximum altitude to bed in the engine. At 12,500 ft and WOT max power is only 63 percent, which is a power setting that should never damage an engine according to Lycoming, but is below 'running in power' settings.
That you can achieve such high CHT's at 12,500 ft is concerning, given the limited power at that altitude, and their variability without changing mixture or throttle setting is strange. Timing issues or preignition need to be excluded.
You are correct in saying that engines without 4 cyl monitoring may be running temperatures way out 'normal', yet they seem to run OK. Are we being over careful?

Richard Ranger
AA5b

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: In Flight CHT's Reply with quote

I'm no expert but have had good breakin results using WOT around 3000
AGL. I expect CHTs to be higher than normal and use mixture/throttle to
try and keep them below 450. The hottest may go above, but not for
long. Flights at least an hour at a time.

You have to remember that the numbers Lycoming uses are set for an
engine during certification, and by nature are conservative. I learned
a lot during an off-the-record discussion with a Lycoming engineer.
Early in the discussion his comment was 'you can't do that' but when
off-the-record he opened up.
Linn

On 9/17/2015 5:51 AM, Richard Ranger wrote:
Quote:

Gary, you have raised some very interesting issues on your flight to SLC, and I hope it stimulates good discussion.
Firstly, your hotted up engine does not sound as though it is yet run-in. The CHT's you observed are very high and consistent with a new powerplant. From my own experience, it took 30 hours at 75 percent power and very high (and expensive) fuel flows for the CHT's to settle below 400 F in cruise and for oil consumption to fall. They are now consistently between 360 and 390 at 65 percent power, with oil consumption minimal.
At standard atmosphere 75 pc power can only be achieved with wide open throttle (WOT) at 8,000 ft and less if the temp is higher; so that is probably the maximum altitude to bed in the engine. At 12,500 ft and WOT max power is only 63 percent, which is a power setting that should never damage an engine according to Lycoming, but is below 'running in power' settings.
That you can achieve such high CHT's at 12,500 ft is concerning, given the limited power at that altitude, and their variability without changing mixture or throttle setting is strange. Timing issues or preignition need to be excluded.
You are correct in saying that engines without 4 cyl monitoring may be running temperatures way out 'normal', yet they seem to run OK. Are we being over careful?

Richard Ranger
AA5b

Sent from my iPad
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BILL9725(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: In Flight CHT's Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

Have to add my two cents on this. I just came back from Carson City to the Central Valley with my Tiger and while cruising at 12,500 with very above normal outside temps, valley was over 100 that day, 12,500 was 17 C, and thanks to Gary`s cowling, fine wire plugs and the Power flow was showing max CHT`s at 406 for number 3 & 4 390 for 1 & 2, RPM 2675. Leaned to peak, Electronic Tac and JPI.

Best news here is I still had over 1 Inch of throttle left and it would red line over 2700 easily. So I can say temps can be controlled. Density altitude was 15,000 so I know it is not the usual 360 but wanted to add that you can control temps.

Thanks

Bill Stigle

In a message dated 9/17/2015 8:33:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com writes:
Quote:
--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com>

I'm no expert but have had good breakin results using WOT around 3000
AGL. I expect CHTs to be higher than normal and use mixture/throttle to
try and keep them below 450.  The hottest may go above, but not for
long. Flights at least an hour at a time.

You have to remember that the numbers Lycoming uses are set for an
engine during certification, and by nature are conservative.  I learned
a lot during an off-the-record discussion with a Lycoming engineer.
Early in the discussion his comment was 'you can't do that' but when
off-the-record he opened up.
Linn

On 9/17/2015 5:51 AM, Richard Ranger wrote:
Quote:
--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: Richard Ranger <richardranger(at)ozemail.com.au>

Richard Ranger
AA5b

Sent from my iPad
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - ================================================= Use utilities Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: