Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inverted Fuel and Christen Lubrication System for RV-6 Lyco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Inverted Fuel and Christen Lubrication System for RV-6 Lyco Reply with quote

George,

You might want to define your actual 'mission' before doing any mods to the plane. I've flown lots of positive G acro in a Globe Swift that had fuel injection, but no flop tube and no inverted oil system. I've also flown lots of positive G acro in two different carburated RV-4's without flop tubes or inverted systems. As long as you're doing 'positive' maneuvers (inside loops, rolls, barrel rolls, wingovers, etc) you don't really need to do any mods to the plane. The only real issue would be that the engine will almost certainly quit (but is easily restarted) if you do 'hammerhead' turns.

If you really want to do sustained inverted flight and/or 'outside' (negative G) maneuvers, then you need all the stuff that Stein details. But, most of the serious acro guys I've talked to do not consider an RV the best platform for 'outside' stuff (non-symmetrical airfoil, -3G rating, etc). And if you are inexperienced in acro, the RV may not be the best learning platform; it's so 'clean' that when (not if) you mess up and fall out of a maneuver, you can go way over VNE really quickly before recovering. And even if you don't exceed VNE, you'll still be going fast enough to risk breaking something during the recovery. Older designs like the Citabria/Decathalon are dirty enough that it's harder to go fast enough to over-stress them (but not impossible, of course).

If the rules in your country require 'full' acro equipment to legally do any acro, then you can disregard the above (except the operational cautions...).

FWIW,

Charlie

On 9/28/2015 11:28 AM, Stein Bruch wrote:

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi George,

Having done this on RV6’s several time ourselves, I can tell you it’s not too bad. Here are the details:

1)      Carb – you can’t use a standard “carb” unless you get a “pressure carb”. Preferred method is just to use fuel injection.  Remember wither you use a pressure carb or FI, you’ll need a flop tube in one of the fuel tanks. Vans used to have a kit for that.
2)      The Christen/Raven/Clone type systems are easily installed.  You need to put a pickup in the sump, put a pickup on the vent (accessory case), then mount the ball valve and breather can as well as route the hoses.
3)      I have no idea who in Europe would do that, but I’d contact someone in the Aerobatic community (or IAC clubs).  They would know.
4)      No clue on cost…

Cheers,
Stein

From: owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of George Nielsen
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 11:09 AM
To: rv6-list(at)matronics.com (rv6-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Inverted Fuel and Christen Lubrication System for RV-6 Lycoming O-320

As I possess a Van's RV-6 with a Lycoming O-320 which has never flown aerobatics and whose fuel and lubrication systems are not adapted to this purpose I would be grateful if you could enlighten me on the following:
  • What modifications are necessary for the carburettor for aerobatics, whether it can be modified or needs replacement
  • How can a Christen oil system be installed for lubrication for aerobatics
  • Which companies in Europe can do such modifications or upgrading
  • Approximately how much would such modifications/upgrading cost (just in case you have any idea, as I can ask any qualified companies myself).

This is sent both in the RV-6 and Lycoming lists.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
The Hague, the Netherlands

[b]

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Inverted Fuel and Christen Lubrication System for RV-6 Lyco Reply with quote

Good point…and perhaps the most valuable – the RV6 seatbelt geometry is poor for negative G work unless you put in a 2nd set of lap belts (ratcheting hookers or similar) along with a very beefy 5th/7th point crotch strap (not a simple bracket between two seat ribs). Otherwise you’ll learn what it’s like to fly with your head smashed sideways against he canopy – no matter how tight you suck down the belts.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

From: owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 3:39 PM
To: rv6-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Inverted Fuel and Christen Lubrication System for RV-6 Lycoming O-320

George,

You might want to define your actual 'mission' before doing any mods to the plane. I've flown lots of positive G acro in a Globe Swift that had fuel injection, but no flop tube and no inverted oil system. I've also flown lots of positive G acro in two different carburated RV-4's without flop tubes or inverted systems. As long as you're doing 'positive' maneuvers (inside loops, rolls, barrel rolls, wingovers, etc) you don't really need to do any mods to the plane. The only real issue would be that the engine will almost certainly quit (but is easily restarted) if you do 'hammerhead' turns.

If you really want to do sustained inverted flight and/or 'outside' (negative G) maneuvers, then you need all the stuff that Stein details. But, most of the serious acro guys I've talked to do not consider an RV the best platform for 'outside' stuff (non-symmetrical airfoil, -3G rating, etc). And if you are inexperienced in acro, the RV may not be the best learning platform; it's so 'clean' that when (not if) you mess up and fall out of a maneuver, you can go way over VNE really quickly before recovering. And even if you don't exceed VNE, you'll still be going fast enough to risk breaking something during the recovery. Older designs like the Citabria/Decathalon are dirty enough that it's harder to go fast enough to over-stress them (but not impossible, of course).

If the rules in your country require 'full' acro equipment to legally do any acro, then you can disregard the above (except the operational cautions...).

FWIW,

Charlie

Quote:

From: owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of George Nielsen
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 11:09 AM
To: rv6-list(at)matronics.com (rv6-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Inverted Fuel and Christen Lubrication System for RV-6 Lycoming O-320

As I possess a Van's RV-6 with a Lycoming O-320 which has never flown aerobatics and whose fuel and lubrication systems are not adapted to this purpose I would be grateful if you could enlighten me on the following:
  • What modifications are necessary for the carburettor for aerobatics, whether it can be modified or needs replacement
  • How can a Christen oil system be installed for lubrication for aerobatics
  • Which companies in Europe can do such modifications or upgrading
  • Approximately how much would such modifications/upgrading cost (just in case you have any idea, as I can ask any qualified companies myself).

This is sent both in the RV-6 and Lycoming lists.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
The Hague, the Netherlands

Quote:
[/b]
http://forums.matronics.com[/url] - List Contribution Web generous nbsp;   -Matt Dralle, List href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c=[/b] [/quote]
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: