Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOD 72 Confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyvaccarella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: MOD 72 Confusion Reply with quote

Hi All,

MOD 72 seems like a simple enough MOD so I thought I would start here to upgrade my yet to be finished project. Things, it appears, are never that easy.

I was viewing some images of other builders who have completed this MOD and was surprised to see in some pictures that the builder was spraying the inside of the engine mount with the Etch Primer. My reading of the instructions lead me to think I needed to paint the insert and the bore of the insert only i.e. leaving the bore of the engine mount as is after reaming.

So ...I contacted Europa who advised.....

"As written, long before my time here, it seems to say just the bore of the insert but I would suggest including the bore of the engine mount as well."

Just wondering what the folk who have conducted this MOD done regarding the application of the Etch Primer?

Many thanks
Tony
Sydney
Australia
S/N A011

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

nigel_graham(at)m-tecque.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: MOD 72 Confusion Reply with quote

The "intent" of the procedure is to allow the steel insert to be
assembled into the frame in a way that reduces the chance of moisture
"wicking" into the gap and causing unseen corrosion in the future.
The instructions do recommend etch primer though I'm not sure I would.
Etch primer is designed to provide a good key to subsequent paint, and
you're not going to be painting the inside of your tubes, and it's not a
particularly good corrosion inhibitor. In any case, the moment you tap
your new insert into the hole it will "chisel" it straight back off.
ACF50 is excellent but will need re-applying as part of a regular
maintenance schedule.
If the insert is a "snug" fit in the newly reamed engine frame, I would
suggest smearing it with a copper based assembly grease (copper slip)
before final assembly.
If the insert is loose, I would thoroughly degrease all components and
assemble with a bearing grade anaerobic adhesive (loctite).
For longer term protection (life of the aircraft) of the inside surfaces
of the frame and all of the steel control tubes, I used (and would
recommend) Shell "Ensis sx" Fluid.
This is an industrial water dispersant designed to protect pallet loads
of unfinished steel components outside during production.
A data sheet can be downloaded from here:
http://www.southernlubricants.co.uk/lube.php?searchtext=shell+ensis&ctrl=Go&gclid=CJDdktaLrskCFYoEwwodK8cMpg

Hope that helps

Nigel
On 26/11/2015 11:33, tonyvaccarella wrote:
Quote:

Hi All,

MOD 72 seems like a simple enough MOD so I thought I would start here to upgrade my yet to be finished project. Things, it appears, are never that easy.

I was viewing some images of other builders who have completed this MOD and was surprised to see in some pictures that the builder was spraying the inside of the engine mount with the Etch Primer. My reading of the instructions lead me to think I needed to paint the insert and the bore of the insert only i.e. leaving the bore of the engine mount as is after reaming.

So ...I contacted Europa who advised.....

"As written, long before my time here, it seems to say just the bore of the insert but I would suggest including the bore of the engine mount as well."

Just wondering what the folk who have conducted this MOD done regarding the application of the Etch Primer?

Many thanks
Tony
Sydney
Australia
S/N A011

--------
Tony Vaccarella
Mascot NSW 2020
Sydney Australia

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=450307#450307

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Scudrunner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: MOD 72 Confusion Reply with quote

Another tip is to put the inserts in the freezer for a good while before trying to insert then - I used ACF50 to lubricate

tonyvaccarella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: MOD 72 Confusion Reply with quote

Thank you Scudrunner,

My issue is that the inserts seem loose until they are almost all the way in (except the last 2 cm) - which I will tap in.

Issue remains - do I prime the bore of the engine mount too? What did you do?

Regards,

Tony

tonyvaccarella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: MOD 72 Confusion Reply with quote

Thank you Nigel,

I have ordered my ACF50 - and waiting its arrival. Do you complete this MOD? If so, did you prime the inside of the reamed engine mount?

Many thanks and regards,
Tony

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: MOD 72 Confusion Reply with quote

Tony,

According to the instructions, it isn’t necessary. But, if it makes you feel better, prime it. It won’t hurt to prime the inside.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (90 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com

On Nov 27, 2015, at 9:26 AM, tonyvaccarella <tony(at)weimagine.com.au> wrote:

Thank you Nigel,

I have ordered my ACF50 - and waiting its arrival. Do you complete this MOD? If so, did you prime the inside of the reamed engine mount?

Many thanks and regards,
Tony

--------
Tony Vaccarella
Mascot NSW 2020
Sydney Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: