Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADS-B In Simple

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronko(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: ADS-B In Simple Reply with quote

Pulsar Friends,
I saw the posting of how to receive ADS-B with a Strutus program on Arduino board, and I didn't understand what this board and program were doing and why it was needed. Using a SDR (software defined radio) usb device that covers the 978MHz and 1080MHz frequencies and sends the demodulated information over USB should be feasible with just one more processing device (i.e. portable computer, tablet, ...).
I already had a SDR that has the RTL2832U receiver chip so I decided to investigate.
I down loaded a bunch of free ADS-B apps for Android and with my cheep SDR device (that has the RTL2832U chip) connected directly to my Samsung Tab 3 tablet with OTG usb cable, I got ADS-B reception and the app started decoding aircraft traffic.

Now I was inside a large building and reception of major aircraft was limited on 1080MHz, but it worked and a few aircraft showed up on the map. I had to load and run the free app "RTL 2832U Driver" first, then ran free app "Avare ADSB". This was with the Avare ADSB set to the 1080MHz which is satellite and aircraft already in the air transmission.
I tried to switch to 978MHz which is for us below 18,0000 feet (which the FAA coverage maps say coverage starting at 1,500 feet and most coverage is at 1,800 feet), which also has weather, but it is ground station based, and even the program warned that reception may only be obtainable in the air and not on the ground. But, even on the ground I saw the data screen receiving some valid packets, but not enough to display traffic and weather, but still, showed all the signs of being able to work.

I am anxious to try this on my next flight. My confidence is high that I will get traffic and weather. Bummer, that weather is in the single digits and VFR flying is limited where I am based.
So all you need is the SDR device (with supplied antenna) and an OTG USB cable. No other boards with their software unless the board translates data specific for some other aviation programs (but the free well done application Avare works).
Note also, tuning an antenna for ADS-B should be a monopole with a whip length of 3-1/64". The antenna supplied with these SDR modules is considerably longer and thus providing less than optimal reception at 978/1080MHz. I plan on cutting my SDR antenna down, closer to the 3-1/64", but first will load a program that displays signal strength when the SDR is receiving 978MHz.

Best regards,
Ronko

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
ronko(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: ADS-B In Simple Reply with quote

Frank,
Mine, its black labeled "DVB-T+DAB+FM".  Note, I believe it is the earlier version of the blue one that is common on ebay for $10 or less. Both have the RTL2832U and R820T tuner/interface chip set.
Ron
Sent from Samsung tablet.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 01/18/2016 3:04 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Ronko <ronko(at)att.net>
Subject: Re: Pulsar-List: ADS-B In Simple

What SDR are you using?
Frank

On 2016-01-18 13:19, ronko(at)att.net wrote:
Quote:
Pulsar Friends,

I saw the posting of how to receive ADS-B with a Strutus program on Arduino board, and I didn't understand what this board and program were doing and why it was needed.  Using a SDR (software defined radio) usb device that covers the 978MHz and 1080MHz frequencies and sends the demodulated information over USB should be feasible with just one more processing device (i.e. portable computer, tablet, ...).

I already had a SDR that has the RTL2832U receiver chip so I decided to investigate.

I down loaded a bunch of free ADS-B apps for Android and with my cheep SDR device (that has the RTL2832U chip) connected directly to my Samsung Tab 3 tablet with OTG usb cable, I got ADS-B reception and the app started decoding aircraft traffic.

Now I was inside a large building and reception of major aircraft was limited on 1080MHz, but it worked and a few aircraft showed up on the map.  I had to load and run the free app "RTL 2832U Driver" first, then ran free app "Avare ADSB".  This was with the Avare ADSB set to the 1080MHz which is satellite and aircraft already in the air transmission.

I tried to switch to 978MHz which is for us below 18,0000 feet (which the FAA coverage maps say coverage starting at 1,500 feet and most coverage is at 1,800 feet), which also has weather, but it is ground station based, and even the program warned that reception may only be obtainable in the air and not on the ground.  But, even on the ground I saw the data screen receiving some valid packets, but not enough to display traffic and weather, but still, showed all the signs of being able to work.

I am anxious to try this on my next flight.  My confidence is high that I will get traffic and weather.  Bummer, that weather is in the single digits and VFR flying is limited where I am based.

So all you need is the SDR device (with supplied antenna) and an OTG USB cable. No other boards with their software unless the board translates data specific for some other aviation programs (but the free well done application Avare works).

Note also, tuning an antenna for ADS-B should be a monopole with a whip length of 3-1/64".  The antenna supplied with these SDR modules is considerably longer and thus providing less than optimal reception at 978/1080MHz.  I plan on cutting my SDR antenna down, closer to the 3-1/64", but first will load a program that displays signal strength when the SDR is receiving 978MHz.

Best regards,

Ronko

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: