Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choosing an EFIS system and brand
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Choosing an EFIS system and brand Reply with quote

Exactly - Everyone has been great and there is no need for this to be a vendor love or hate fest (my head is already plenty large....just void of hair)!

I was Just pointing out that often times we do lots of free stuff up front without expecting (but sometimes hoping) on the future business. We appreciate everyone's business whether the size or frequency as we are not a large warehouse type company. We aren't the only company out there and in fact are pretty good friends with most of the other companies that offer similar or other services...and we all get along marvelously. It's far too small of a world to get too arrogant or to try and dominate. Some people will work with us and some will work with others - every company has their own set of value propositions (sometimes it's budget, sometimes it's geographical location, sometimes it's the actual services offered, etc..), some folks do all of their own work and some folks bought their planes and are upgrading them. That means everyone's relative perspective is different, which brings this entire subject full circle again....that being there is no perfect answer on the ideal EFIS (or company selling the EFIS) for every single person in every single situation; but there are a couple of top choices in either subject matter.

Cheers,
Stein

do not archive

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
robhickman(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Choosing an EFIS system and brand Reply with quote

" My hanger mate has AFS. He says that the GRT has better resolution (he is right on that account)."

He is not right on that, unless you are talking about our older AF-4500/3500. All of the AF-5000 systems (5400, 5500, 5600, 5800) use a 1024 x 768 resolution XGA LCD screen, the exact same resolution as the GRT Hx EFIS screens.
Unlike the GRT the AF-5000 screens utilize an optically bonded very high quality AR industrial touch screen made with CORNING GORILLA GLASS. The optically bonded AR glass actually makes the screen look like they are higher resolution and they are far more scratch resistant, so much better that we decided about 10 months ago to only sell the touch screen.
We are using a 3 Arc-second digital elevation database to draw the synthetic vision and map, the exact same database that we use in both our Skyview and AF-5000 EFIS screens.

"The three major players are Dynon, Garmin (the experimental side only!), and Grand Rapids. These are the companies that have established solid foundations for their business so you have some confidence they will be around for the long run. I did not list Advanced as they are now owned by Dynon. Even though Dynon sells and supports the Advanced line I don't see how they can support two such similar products for such a small market. In other words I expect the Advance line to be phased out at some point".

The AF-5000 screens have the same Dynon SV Network as the Skyview and currently support all of the Skyview modules (AP Servos, Radio, EMS, ARINC, AP Panel, Transponder, ADS-B, and 2020 GPS), You can install all of the components and then decided on a Skyview or AF-5000 EFIS to plug in.
We have customers that prefer the Skyview EFIS layout and we have customers that prefer the AF-5000 Layout, we give you more options to fit your preferences.

It has been almost three years since Dynon purchased AFS, we have not been shut down or phased out. AFS has actually been growing and the future is extremely positive. We have become a major supplier in the experimental panel market and that part of the business continues to grow at a rapid rate. We build a lot of panels and over 90% of them have the AF-5600T EFIS screen and Avidyne IFD GPS Navigator.  I am pretty sure we are the largest Avidyne dealer in the experimental market. We have also recently started supplying complete panels to a large aviation company in China, helping with the USA trade imbalance. Additionally, we also don't build our EFIS screens in Taiwan nor are we incorporated in Switzerland to avoid paying US taxes. When hearing a rumor or claim, please take a moment and consider who or what may have been the source.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc - Dynon Avionics
N402RH RV-10

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Choosing an EFIS system and brand Reply with quote

I really like my 3400s EE. Using it as an engine monitor primarily on the right side as I have steam guages on the left - while I'm working on my IFR rating. After that the plane gets a 5000 series in place of the steam guages....

--

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Choosing an EFIS system and brand Reply with quote

Rob – glad to hear this.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of robhickman(at)aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 12:59 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Choosing an EFIS system and brand

" My hanger mate has AFS. He says that the GRT has better resolution (he is right on that account)."

He is not right on that, unless you are talking about our older AF-4500/3500. All of the AF-5000 systems (5400, 5500, 5600, 5800) use a 1024 x 768 resolution XGA LCD screen, the exact same resolution as the GRT Hx EFIS screens.

Unlike the GRT the AF-5000 screens utilize an optically bonded very high quality AR industrial touch screen made with CORNING GORILLA GLASS. The optically bonded AR glass actually makes the screen look like they are higher resolution and they are far more scratch resistant, so much better that we decided about 10 months ago to only sell the touch screen.

We are using a 3 Arc-second digital elevation database to draw the synthetic vision and map, the exact same database that we use in both our Skyview and AF-5000 EFIS screens.

"The three major players are Dynon, Garmin (the experimental side only!), and Grand Rapids. These are the companies that have established solid foundations for their business so you have some confidence they will be around for the long run. I did not list Advanced as they are now owned by Dynon. Even though Dynon sells and supports the Advanced line I don't see how they can support two such similar products for such a small market. In other words I expect the Advance line to be phased out at some point".

The AF-5000 screens have the same Dynon SV Network as the Skyview and currently support all of the Skyview modules (AP Servos, Radio, EMS, ARINC, AP Panel, Transponder, ADS-B, and 2020 GPS), You can install all of the components and then decided on a Skyview or AF-5000 EFIS to plug in.

We have customers that prefer the Skyview EFIS layout and we have customers that prefer the AF-5000 Layout, we give you more options to fit your preferences.

It has been almost three years since Dynon purchased AFS, we have not been shut down or phased out. AFS has actually been growing and the future is extremely positive. We have become a major supplier in the experimental panel market and that part of the business continues to grow at a rapid rate. We build a lot of panels and over 90% of them have the AF-5600T EFIS screen and Avidyne IFD GPS Navigator. I am pretty sure we are the largest Avidyne dealer in the experimental market. We have also recently started supplying complete panels to a large aviation company in China, helping with the USA trade imbalance. Additionally, we also don't build our EFIS screens in Taiwan nor are we incorporated in Switzerland to avoid paying US taxes. When hearing a rumor or claim, please take a moment and consider who or what may have been the source.

Rob Hickman

Advanced Flight Systems Inc - Dynon Avionics

N402RH RV-10
--

kearney

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Choosing an EFIS system and brand Reply with quote

Hi

I think a key factor to consider is how much of the work you are going to do yourself and how much will be done for you. The reason I say this is if you are inexperienced (as I was) when building your panel then good support is absolutely essential. Rob and his crew at AFS were and are most helpful as is Tim at Approach Systems where I bought my non EFIS avionics.

In short, keep in mind how much support you will need from your supplier(s). The cheapest option may not be in many cases be the best option.

Cheers

Les

kevino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing an EFIS system and brand Reply with quote

I have AFS in my rv10 and a carbon cub. Have evolved with afs from 3500 to 5600. They have been well ahead of the industry continuing enhancements for the last six yrs I have been a user. They offer not only an excellent product supported by a deep bench with the ownership by Dynon, but a commitment to the customer that is hard to beat. I have emailed Rob many times on weekends etc and get immediate answers. His team in his office are excellent. I certainly endorse Rob's comments in this thread

brunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Choosing an EFIS system and brand Reply with quote

I have used AFS and upg added through the years. Rob is always there for me to also help me learn to use his efis. I am proud of my choice.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, at 1:48 PM, kevino <Kosheawwd(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have AFS in my rv10 and a carbon cub. Have evolved with afs from 3500 to 5600. They have been well ahead of the industry continuing enhancements for the last six yrs I have been a user. They offer not only an excellent product supported by a deep bench with the ownership by Dynon, but a commitment to the customer that is hard to beat. I have emailed Rob many times on weekends etc and get immediate answers. His team in his office are excellent. I certainly endorse Rob's comments in this thread

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=452447#452447

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: