Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 to 912

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jareds(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

I've got a lead on a 912 but need a prop / oil cooler/ (i think my big
582 radiator will work / engine mount.
Any idea how much for these items or does anyone have them?

This is new to me. I have an EIS that i think would hook up to the 912
for monitoring vitals.
Is there anything else i would need. Will my cowlings all still work?

Gonna sell the firewall forward from kitfox model 4
582 grey zero time other than i did break in.
Carbs rebuilt when engine purchased.
c gearbox
3 blade wharp drive adjustable

From ROTAX-RECREATIONAL-ENGINES-LLC
Is it ok to post it for sale on kitlist? Not sure on the rules these days?

Thanks

Jared

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

Hey I just did this! Much fun. You'll certainly be happier with the 912 under heavy / hot / high conditions. Some of what I did:
  • Prop depends mostly on your budget. The only difference is weight and looks. They all perform the same. I used a Warp 3-blade 70".
  • My oil cooler is an Earl's 21608AERL off Amazon. You can go smaller if you want. (Mine's 5" high. I think you can go 3", depending on location. I'm in the US desert southwest.)
  • 582 radiator will work.
  • Engine mount is made yourself or buy from Kitfox Aircraft. If you buy from Kitfox Aircraft you'll have slight clearance problem between the starter and the firewall right foot well. I made a stainless blister to clear it. Some make their own motor mounts, moving the engine forward a little to make the install easier. I wanted my engine as far back as possible so the Kitfox LLC mount was fine.
  • I had the old GRT EIS. I sent it in to Grand Rapids and they "refurbished" it to a model 2000 for $149 in March 2011. I had to buy some more sensors too.
  • I extended my forward cowl (radial type) 2" so it would be right behind the spinner. You don't have to. I had an oil door on the top cowl that I moved as well.
  • What else you need depends a lot on what you get with the engine. You may need:
    • Oil tank (Rotax)
    • Voltage regulator (Rotax)
    • Exhaust system (Kitfox LLC)
    • All the crap to put it together.

Sorry, I don't have prices for any of this stuff readily available and they'd all be ancient history anyway.

Feel free to post "for sale" on this site, but you'll get more interest on Barnstormers. Inquire on Team Kitfox for parts and accessories, as well as here.

Some pictures of my install before and after here: https://b-and-n.smugmug.com/Flying/Kitfox/

Good luck!

Guy Buchanan - List moderator
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. flying again
Now a glider pilot, too.

On 2/5/2016 4:07 PM, jareds wrote:

Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: jareds <jareds(at)verizon.net> (jareds(at)verizon.net)

I've got a lead on a 912 but need a prop / oil cooler/ (i think my big 582 radiator will work / engine mount.

This is new to me.  I have an EIS that i think would hook up to the 912 for monitoring vitals.
Is there anything else i would need.  Will my cowlings all still work?

c gearbox

Is it ok to post it for sale on kitlist?  Not sure on the rules these days?

Thanks

Jared

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rdmac(at)swbell.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

I have a GSC ground adjustable three blade for sale. If your interested.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Feb 5, 2016, at 6:07 PM, jareds <jareds(at)verizon.net> wrote:

I've got a lead on a 912 but need a prop / oil cooler/ (i think my big 582 radiator will work / engine mount.

This is new to me. I have an EIS that i think would hook up to the 912 for monitoring vitals.
Is there anything else i would need. Will my cowlings all still work?

c gearbox

Is it ok to post it for sale on kitlist? Not sure on the rules these days?

Thanks

Jared

leach(at)farmside.co.nz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

Hi Jared

I've got an Avid with a 912 and Avid Inc supplied the necessary parts to put
the 912 oil tank below the baggage locker and then run two external 1/2 inch
aluminum pipes in the slipstream under the fuse from the oil tank to the
engine. These pipes are a very effective oil cooler which means you don't
need an oil radiator. Suggest you find an Avid with a 912 and have a look
at it.

Brian

jareds(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

Guy,
Wow great info. 
Surprised there is so much to do with motor mount?
The exhuast on this 912 is above the engine so i assume i would need to do something below.
Will the 582 voltage reg not work?
Does the throttle and all under the dash need to replaced as well?
It looked like a different linkage in your photos.
The plane looks like show quality car show work... glad mine stays at the ranch!!

Thanks guy.. big help.

On 2/5/2016 6:42 PM, Guy Buchanan wrote:
Quote:
Hey I just did this! Much fun. You'll certainly be happier with the 912 under heavy / hot / high conditions. Some of what I did:
  • Prop depends mostly on your budget. The only difference is weight and looks. They all perform the same. I used a Warp 3-blade 70".
  • My oil cooler is an Earl's 21608AERL off Amazon. You can go smaller if you want. (Mine's 5" high. I think you can go 3", depending on location. I'm in the US desert southwest.)
  • Engine mount is made yourself or buy from Kitfox Aircraft. If you buy from Kitfox Aircraft you'll have slight clearance problem between the starter and the firewall right foot well. I made a stainless blister to clear it. Some make their own motor mounts, moving the engine forward a little to make the install easier. I wanted my engine as far back as possible so the Kitfox LLC mount was fine.
  • I had the old GRT EIS. I sent it in to Grand Rapids and they "refurbished" it to a model 2000 for $149 in March 2011. I had to buy some more sensors too.
  • I extended my forward cowl (radial type) 2" so it would be right behind the spinner. You don't have to. I had an oil door on the top cowl that I moved as well.
  • What else you need depends a lot on what you get with the engine. You may need:
    • Oil tank (Rotax)

Sorry, I don't have prices for any of this stuff readily available and they'd all be ancient history anyway.

Feel free to post "for sale" on this site, but you'll get more interest on Barnstormers. Inquire on Team Kitfox for parts and accessories, as well as here.

Some pictures of my install before and after here: https://b-and-n.smugmug.com/Flying/Kitfox/

Good luck!

Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: jareds <jareds(at)verizon.net> (jareds(at)verizon.net)

This is new to me.  I have an EIS that i think would hook up to the 912 for monitoring vitals.

c gearbox

Thanks

Jared

jareds(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

Can't quit looking at your photos!!
I was looking for a pic of the coolant reservior and fillcap etc??
Did i miss it or do you have it hidden somewhere.

Did you build that throttle linkage or is that from fox?
I love your door latches.

Stopped in at merle williams in phoenix one day and he has a kit that he makes to widen the doors and give you all kinds of shoulder room.  May build one of those some day but alot of the time i'm flying doors open on the ranch anyway...

Quote:
    • Oil tank (Rotax)

Good luck!

Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

Quote:

c gearbox

Thanks

Jared

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

See this link before you decide to remote the oil tank. Interestingly nothing is said about over-cooling the oil in the lines, something I would think might be a consideration.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. flying again.
Now a glider pilot, too.

On 2/6/2016 1:43 AM, Brian Leach wrote:

Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Brian Leach" <leach(at)farmside.co.nz> (leach(at)farmside.co.nz)

Hi Jared

I've got an Avid with a 912 and Avid Inc supplied the necessary parts to put the 912 oil tank below the baggage locker and then run two external 1/2 inch aluminum pipes in the slipstream under the fuse from the oil tank to the engine.  These pipes are a very effective oil cooler which means you don't need an oil radiator.  Suggest you find an Avid with a 912 and have a look at it.

Brian

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

First, you're welcome. That's what the list is for. Not sure what you're referring to about the motor mount, other than the motor location. I didn't mention that I modified my motor mount to carry the ignition modules, to get them off the motor and away from any vibration issues. I also remoted the oil pressure sender by hanging it nearby off the carburetor cross tube. There were concerns vibration was causing them to fail. I also upgraded to the new fuel pump, which is supposed to last longer.

I used a Key West regulator on my 582 and said what the heck, I'll give it a try. I fried it. Not sure why, since my plane has very low electrical loads, but there it is. I replaced it with the Rotax unit I got with my motor. I installed that behind the firewall and initially had problems with radio noise, but the good folks (Bob) at Aeroelectric Connection got me to chase down a couple of ground loops I was running and that cured the noise issue.

I made a fairly complex throttle linkage that has the dubious merit of keeping the carbs in sync, since they're mechanically connected. Most just buy the two-cable friction throttle setup from CPS or Aircraft Spruce- very simple.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

On 2/6/2016 5:55 AM, jareds wrote:

Quote:
Guy,
Wow great info. 
Surprised there is so much to do with motor mount?
The exhuast on this 912 is above the engine so i assume i would need to do something below.
Will the 582 voltage reg not work?
Does the throttle and all under the dash need to replaced as well?
It looked like a different linkage in your photos.
The plane looks like show quality car show work... glad mine stays at the ranch!!

Thanks guy.. big help.

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

The coolant reservoir is the chrome water bottle mounted to the right center of the firewall, above midline. I'd rather have a clear but never saw any I liked. (You can see it image IMG_0206 and the two following. Not sure why I had file names turned off.)

Yes, I built the throttle linkage. It works really well, but is one of those experimental cost / benefit nightmares.

I would have said the same thing about the door latches, except that they work really well too, and I've never seen a replacement even close in utility.

The Merle width conversion is well worth it if you're large, like me. (I don't have it, that's how I know.) There's some conjecture that the conversion is faster too, by reducing drag behind the doors. (Measured by some who have added the conversion. They're convinced they're faster after.)

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

On 2/7/2016 6:25 AM, jareds wrote:

Quote:
Can't quit looking at your photos!!
I was looking for a pic of the coolant reservior and fillcap etc??
Did i miss it or do you have it hidden somewhere.

Did you build that throttle linkage or is that from fox?
I love your door latches.

Stopped in at merle williams in phoenix one day and he has a kit that he makes to widen the doors and give you all kinds of shoulder room.  May build one of those some day but alot of the time i'm flying doors open on the ranch anyway...

mlpaton2000(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

Hi Jared,
I took the doors off mine , we live in sub tropical Africa so its never cool !!!
Michael Paton

On Sunday, February 7, 2016 4:35 PM, jareds <jareds(at)verizon.net> wrote:

Can't quit looking at your photos!! I was looking for a pic of the coolant reservior and fillcap etc?? Did i miss it or do you have it hidden somewhere. Did you build that throttle linkage or is that from fox? I love your door latches. Stopped in at merle williams in phoenix one day and he has a kit that he makes to widen the doors and give you all kinds of shoulder room. May build one of those some day but alot of the time i'm flying doors open on the ranch anyway... On 2/5/2016 6:42 PM, Guy Buchanan wrote:
Quote:

• Oil tank (Rotax)
Good luck!
Guy Buchanan - List moderator Ramona, CA Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. flying again Now a glider pilot, too.
Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: jareds <jareds(at)verizon.net> (jareds(at)verizon.net) I've got a lead on a 912 but need a prop / oil cooler/ (i think my big 582 radiator will work / engine mount. Any idea how much for these items or does anyone have them? This is new to me. I have an EIS that i think would hook up to the 912 for monitoring vitals. Is there anything else i would need. Will my cowlings all still work? Gonna sell the firewall forward from kitfox model 4 582 grey zero time other than i did break in. Carbs rebuilt when engine purchased. c gearbox 3 blade wharp drive adjustable From ROTAX-RECREATIONAL-ENGINES-LLC Is it ok to post it for sale on kitlist? Not sure on the rules these days? Thanks Jared

jareds(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: 582 to 912 Reply with quote

Quote:
    • Oil tank (Rotax)

Good luck!

Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

Quote:

c gearbox

Thanks

Jared

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: