Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADS-B with Avare's ADS-B Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwheat2083

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: ADS-B with Avare's ADS-B Pro Reply with quote

As many of you know I have been having some problems getting my stratus to load. I have a duplicate system which shows the same signs. When I look at the SD card the Boot file and the IMG file are there and the data size is was it should be. What I noticed is that the IMG file is grayed out. Is this a normal indication is the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Larry
On Feb 8, 2016, at 9:33 AM, ronko(at)att.net (ronko(at)att.net) wrote:
Quote:
Pulsar Friends,
Well I flew last Saturday with my ADS-B in set up. This time running the $2.49 ADS-B Pro app for Android. I ran the SDR (software defined radio USB module) from the tablet that wasn't fully charged to start (around 85%), and turned the screen intensity to full and left it always on and in a little over an hour I was down to 34% battery. It seemed to work great. Attached are screen shots of the Avare Map (note I am southeast of Chicago), the screen of the frames activity at one point during the flight and a picture of my set up showing antenna duct taped to the back of the passenger seat, the SDR, a OTG cable (with extra power in cord/connector that I didn't use) and my Samsung tablet. Landed with about 20% tablet battery left after a 1.7 hour flight, but when the tablet battery got to 34% I started blanking the tablet screen to see if the tablets battery would drain at a slower rate (still SDR powered) and indeed the battery didn't drain nearly as fast (still I liked having the screen on all the time).
I turned on the Avare option to display ADS-B weather, but there wasn't any in the 3 state area (which made it a great day to fly, but not a good day to show how the weather appears; Avare's app on Google shows how weather is displayed).
I plan on making a better antenna, specific for the ground base 978MHz reception (cable to make my antenna is coming from China) and will probably mount the antenna behind the passenger seat. Also am working on a simple cable solution to power both the tablet and SDR in flight (the Y cable I got supplies power to the SDR and not the tablet).
I just started working on a holder for the tablet and SDR which will utilize one of my RAM mounts (back up hand held radio is going to move somewhere else).
After this becomes more permanent a set up, I am wondering if I will need my Garmin 396 GPS anymore. I think I can get the functions and information that I use the 396 for, from the Avare app as it uses the tablet's GPS.
Best regards,
Ronko
N1037L

<Screenshot_2016-02-06-12-41-24.jpg><Screenshot_2016-02-06-13-01-29.jpg><Screenshot_2016-02-06-13-12-10.jpg><TabletOTGcableSDRwAnt.jpg>

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
phil(at)ishml.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: ADS-B with Avare's ADS-B Pro Reply with quote

I’ve attached a screen shot of my Stratux SD card, a known working install.

Phil

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Wheat
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:09 AM
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: ADS-B with Avare's ADS-B Pro

As many of you know I have been having some problems getting my stratus to load. I have a duplicate system which shows the same signs. When I look at the SD card the Boot file and the IMG file are there and the data size is was it should be. What I noticed is that the IMG file is grayed out. Is this a normal indication is the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Larry

Pulsar Friends,

Well I flew last Saturday with my ADS-B in set up. This time running the $2.49 ADS-B Pro app for Android. I ran the SDR (software defined radio USB module) from the tablet that wasn't fully charged to start (around 85%), and turned the screen intensity to full and left it always on and in a little over an hour I was down to 34% battery. It seemed to work great. Attached are screen shots of the Avare Map (note I am southeast of Chicago), the screen of the frames activity at one point during the flight and a picture of my set up showing antenna duct taped to the back of the passenger seat, the SDR, a OTG cable (with extra power in cord/connector that I didn't use) and my Samsung tablet. Landed with about 20% tablet battery left after a 1.7 hour flight, but when the tablet battery got to 34% I started blanking the tablet screen to see if the tablets battery would drain at a slower rate (still SDR powered) and indeed the battery didn't drain nearly as fast (still I liked having the screen on all the time).

I turned on the Avare option to display ADS-B weather, but there wasn't any in the 3 state area (which made it a great day to fly, but not a good day to show how the weather appears; Avare's app on Google shows how weather is displayed).

I plan on making a better antenna, specific for the ground base 978MHz reception (cable to make my antenna is coming from China) and will probably mount the antenna behind the passenger seat. Also am working on a simple cable solution to power both the tablet and SDR in flight (the Y cable I got supplies power to the SDR and not the tablet).

I just started working on a holder for the tablet and SDR which will utilize one of my RAM mounts (back up hand held radio is going to move somewhere else).

After this becomes more permanent a set up, I am wondering if I will need my Garmin 396 GPS anymore. I think I can get the functions and information that I use the 396 for, from the Avare app as it uses the tablet's GPS.

Best regards,

Ronko

N1037L
<Screenshot_2016-02-06-12-41-24.jpg><Screenshot_2016-02-06-13-01-29.jpg><Screenshot_2016-02-06-13-12-10.jpg><TabletOTGcableSDRwAnt.jpg>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Stratux_disk_structure.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.83 KB
 Viewed:  4303 Time(s)

Stratux_disk_structure.JPG

lwheat2083

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: ADS-B with Avare's ADS-B Pro Reply with quote

I can open the boot BUT the .img is grayed out. Cannot open-can you? Cheers
On Mar 16, 2016, at 4:57 PM, Phil Ishmael <phil(at)ishml.com (phil(at)ishml.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Phil

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Larry Wheat
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com)

Pulsar Friends,

Best regards,

Ronko

N1037L

<Stratux disk structure.JPG>

phil(at)ishml.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: ADS-B with Avare's ADS-B Pro Reply with quote

I’m guessing your “xxx.img” files are grayed out because you don’t have a program installed on the machine to open that file type. When I select the “xxx.img” files it automatically launches my disk builder.

Phil

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Wheat
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:08 PM
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com

On Mar 16, 2016, at 4:57 PM, Phil Ishmael <phil(at)ishml.com (phil(at)ishml.com)> wrote:

Phil

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Larry Wheat

Pulsar Friends,

Best regards,

Ronko
N1037L

lwheat2083

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: ADS-B with Avare's ADS-B Pro Reply with quote

I am completely out of ideas. I am going to put it on the shelf for now. Maybe something will turn up later. Thanks for all the help from the group. I guess thats the way it goes sometimes. Cheers, Larry N853LW J250 Moses Lake, Washington
On Mar 19, 2016, at 5:33 PM, Phil Ishmael <phil(at)ishml.com (phil(at)ishml.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I’m guessing your “xxx.img” files are grayed out because you don’t have a program installed on the machine to open that file type. When I select the “xxx.img” files it automatically launches my disk builder.

Phil

Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:08 PM

Phil

Pulsar Friends,

Best regards,

Ronko

N1037L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: