Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody out there????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Anybody out there???? Reply with quote

The whole concept of TeamGrumman-List was to provide a forum where owners of Grumman airplanes (and those interested in Grumman airplanes) could voice there feelings and thoughts without excessive oversight by the -list administrator. In 2000 it seemed like a great idea anyway.

I don’t know how many times I got kicked off of the Grumman-Gang. The first time was around 1996 when I sent out a Merry Christmas wish; not Grumman related. The next time was for forwarding a flying joke; can’t forward previous emails that might contain a virus. Oh, and not grumman related. Then in 2000 (and a couple of additional boots later), I got kicked off for voicing my opinion on non-Grumman specific mechanics. Pissed me off really bad. I’m a follower of Thomas Jefferson. Freedom of speech is a big deal to me.

So, I created this list. I felt a forum where pics could be posted and someone could say what they wanted without getting booted would be a natural. Less government intervention if you will. I was wrong.

During the ensuing years I lurked on GG under various names. Posted a few times too. At some point, someone figured out Dave was really me and started posting such information on the GG. Within a week I was booted off again. By then I knew it was a personal thing. So, I signed back onto GG under another fake name and didn’t post anything for a long time.

Still, I always thought the TeamGrumman-List would eventually gain traction and real concerns could be posted without wading through a thousand posts about flaps or fuel pumps.

—————————————

So, this is the last post. I’ll be closing down the TeamGrumman-List. Future posts will be to the AuCountry Aviation Facebook page. Most of them have been to that FB page for a while anyway since it’s easy to put a lot of pics on FB.

1) Last summer I did a lot of work on N28797. Some of you know that story. The problem was that I estimated it would take 16 hours to install a EDM 900. Then the owner wanted new radios. Then he didn’t. Then I found automotive wiring going to a lot of things. I fixed some without authorization. I fixed broken headphone wires without authorization. My bad. Bottom line was: I didn’t present for approval an updated estimate. I learned that lesson well.

2) I just finished installing an EDM 830. I gave an estimate of 16 hours for it as well. 16 hours was the standard for all the early 700/800 analyzers. JPI has added a few features at no extra cost and it takes longer to install. Figure about 20-22 hours to install the EDM 830.

After the installation, I pulled the plane out to test fly and verify the EDM 830 works. During the startup, the left brake would lose pressure and the pedal would go to the floor. I shut the engine down, got out and checked for leaks and found nothing. I crawled under the panel to check for leaks, and found nothing. I could pump it up and it would hold so I taxied out. Each application of the left brake required pumping the brake. At the engine runup, the left brake wen to the floor and I found I had no left brake at all. Pumping it did nothing. I shut it down again and pulled the plane all the way back to the hangar. Today I’ll bleed the brake and see what happens.

Take care one-and-all. Follow me on Facebook.

Gary

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Anybody out there???? Reply with quote

Gary ...... sorry to see teamgrumman end. I, for one, hope you change
your mind. I too, chafe at the rigidness of the GG, but between the two
lists I'm really a happy camper.

I don't do Facebook ..... although I do have an account. It's the
logging on to facebook and having to put up with thousands of 'friend
requests' because I have 'friends' that know 'friends' ...... and so on
.... takes up too much time for me. I'd rather just click on my
emails ..... don't have to do anything else .... and read, whether it's
team grumman, GG, RV and RV-10 lists ..... I enjoy these posts from my
friends. For me, killing teamgrumman will be a big loss ..... and I do
hope you change your mind.

I'm looking forward to Sun-n-Fun and seeing my Grumman friends again.
If you're out on the flightline, stop by the Aerobatic Center and say
hi. If we miss each other, leave me a note when you'll be back again
... and I'll try and let my chairman know when I'll return. I have my
own golf cart .... my back won't let me walk that much anymore ..... so
if you get in a bind and need a lift call me. 321 794-3989.
Linn

On 3/25/2016 2:42 PM, Gary L Vogt wrote:
Quote:

The whole concept of TeamGrumman-List was to provide a forum where owners of Grumman airplanes (and those interested in Grumman airplanes) could voice there feelings and thoughts without excessive oversight by the -list administrator. In 2000 it seemed like a great idea anyway.

I don’t know how many times I got kicked off of the Grumman-Gang. The first time was around 1996 when I sent out a Merry Christmas wish; not Grumman related. The next time was for forwarding a flying joke; can’t forward previous emails that might contain a virus. Oh, and not grumman related. Then in 2000 (and a couple of additional boots later), I got kicked off for voicing my opinion on non-Grumman specific mechanics. Pissed me off really bad. I’m a follower of Thomas Jefferson. Freedom of speech is a big deal to me.

So, I created this list. I felt a forum where pics could be posted and someone could say what they wanted without getting booted would be a natural. Less government intervention if you will. I was wrong.

During the ensuing years I lurked on GG under various names. Posted a few times too. At some point, someone figured out Dave was really me and started posting such information on the GG. Within a week I was booted off again. By then I knew it was a personal thing. So, I signed back onto GG under another fake name and didn’t post anything for a long time.

Still, I always thought the TeamGrumman-List would eventually gain traction and real concerns could be posted without wading through a thousand posts about flaps or fuel pumps.

—————————————

So, this is the last post. I’ll be closing down the TeamGrumman-List. Future posts will be to the AuCountry Aviation Facebook page. Most of them have been to that FB page for a while anyway since it’s easy to put a lot of pics on FB.

1) Last summer I did a lot of work on N28797. Some of you know that story. The problem was that I estimated it would take 16 hours to install a EDM 900. Then the owner wanted new radios. Then he didn’t. Then I found automotive wiring going to a lot of things. I fixed some without authorization. I fixed broken headphone wires without authorization. My bad. Bottom line was: I didn’t present for approval an updated estimate. I learned that lesson well.

2) I just finished installing an EDM 830. I gave an estimate of 16 hours for it as well. 16 hours was the standard for all the early 700/800 analyzers. JPI has added a few features at no extra cost and it takes longer to install. Figure about 20-22 hours to install the EDM 830.

After the installation, I pulled the plane out to test fly and verify the EDM 830 works. During the startup, the left brake would lose pressure and the pedal would go to the floor. I shut the engine down, got out and checked for leaks and found nothing. I crawled under the panel to check for leaks, and found nothing. I could pump it up and it would hold so I taxied out. Each application of the left brake required pumping the brake. At the engine runup, the left brake wen to the floor and I found I had no left brake at all. Pumping it did nothing. I shut it down again and pulled the plane all the way back to the hangar. Today I’ll bleed the brake and see what happens.

Gary

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Discover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Anybody out there???? Reply with quote

Hey Gary,
I agree with Linn...I've enjoyed your TeamGrumman list. It provided a good place for discussion of our grummans without all the bs on the gang....
Hope you change your mind and leave the list up. I like its privacy compared to the pervasive Facebook.
Best wishes,
Ned

On Mar 25, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:

Gary ...... sorry to see teamgrumman end. I, for one, hope you change your mind. I too, chafe at the rigidness of the GG, but between the two lists I'm really a happy camper.

I don't do Facebook ..... although I do have an account. It's the logging on to facebook and having to put up with thousands of 'friend requests' because I have 'friends' that know 'friends' ...... and so on ..... takes up too much time for me. I'd rather just click on my emails ..... don't have to do anything else .... and read, whether it's team grumman, GG, RV and RV-10 lists ..... I enjoy these posts from my friends. For me, killing teamgrumman will be a big loss ..... and I do hope you change your mind.

I'm looking forward to Sun-n-Fun and seeing my Grumman friends again. If you're out on the flightline, stop by the Aerobatic Center and say hi. If we miss each other, leave me a note when you'll be back again .... and I'll try and let my chairman know when I'll return. I have my own golf cart .... my back won't let me walk that much anymore ..... so if you get in a bind and need a lift call me. 321 794-3989.
Linn

Quote:

—————————————

Gary

teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Anybody out there???? Reply with quote

Linn & Ned,

Thank you for your support and encouragement. Most of what anyone does goes unnoticed.

I think what you are missing on Facebook is the flexibility of it. For example, you don’t need to use your own name. You can be anyone you want. Another example is, you don’t HAVE to add friends. And, friends you do have, you don’t have to follow.

That last feature is interesting. If you add, say, 50 friends, you can ‘unfollow’ 49 of them and only get posts from the one person you care about. I have 98 ‘friends’ on my Facebook page. I would venture to guess only about 20 follow what I have to say. Although, I may be following the ones that don’t follow me. For example, I worked with a guy who was a right wing radical follower of Rush Limbaugh and who currently supports Trump. His wife, on-the-other-hand, is a Bernie supporter. So, you see, it can be interesting. I never exchange conversation with my ex-coworker. The wife and I have a lot in common.

I also follow Subarugears, 187th Infantry, Grumman Owners and Pilots Association (mine), AuCountry Aviation, Korat Alumni of the 56ARRS, Yakota Group, Lamar Walden Automotive, Flying Panthers, VW T25 T3 Vanagon, Chip Foose, Overhauling’, Batanes Mountaineer, Patch Adams, The Bugatti 100p Project, American Yankee Association, Keith Olbermann, PowerBlock TV, Veterans Project for Fallen Soldiers, Elizabeth Warren, and a dozen others.

The thing is, I get updates on things like the full scale model of the Bugatti 100p and Patch Adams (see the movie starring Robin Williams, it’s a true story) and many other groups, with little more effort than a login to Facebook.

And, you don’t have to reply or comment on anything.

There are 173 followers on Facebook. Several make comments. Some add pics of their own.
I haven’t many comments on TeamGrumman-List in 15+years.

The only thing I don’t like about Facebook pages like AuCountry Aviation is that I can’t read the comments directly. I have to click on one of the buttons to read others comments. A little annoying.

To the best of my knowledge, there are two followers on TeamGrumman-List.

About the -list. I also follow six other -lists on Matt’s pages. Other than an occasional comment about Lycomings, those are dead too.

If you can follow on Facebook, that’s great. If not, I will miss your support.

Gary

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, at 12:02 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:

Gary ...... sorry to see teamgrumman end. I, for one, hope you change your mind. I too, chafe at the rigidness of the GG, but between the two lists I'm really a happy camper.

I don't do Facebook ..... although I do have an account. It's the logging on to facebook and having to put up with thousands of 'friend requests' because I have 'friends' that know 'friends' ...... and so on ..... takes up too much time for me. I'd rather just click on my emails ..... don't have to do anything else .... and read, whether it's team grumman, GG, RV and RV-10 lists ..... I enjoy these posts from my friends. For me, killing teamgrumman will be a big loss ..... and I do hope you change your mind.

I'm looking forward to Sun-n-Fun and seeing my Grumman friends again. If you're out on the flightline, stop by the Aerobatic Center and say hi. If we miss each other, leave me a note when you'll be back again .... and I'll try and let my chairman know when I'll return. I have my own golf cart .... my back won't let me walk that much anymore ..... so if you get in a bind and need a lift call me. 321 794-3989.
Linn

>
>
> The whole concept of TeamGrumman-List was to provide a forum where owners of Grumman airplanes (and those interested in Grumman airplanes) could voice there feelings and thoughts without excessive oversight by the -list administrator. In 2000 it seemed like a great idea anyway.
>
> I don’t know how many times I got kicked off of the Grumman-Gang. The first time was around 1996 when I sent out a Merry Christmas wish; not Grumman related. The next time was for forwarding a flying joke; can’t forward previous emails that might contain a virus. Oh, and not grumman related. Then in 2000 (and a couple of additional boots later), I got kicked off for voicing my opinion on non-Grumman specific mechanics. Pissed me off really bad. I’m a follower of Thomas Jefferson. Freedom of speech is a big deal to me.
>
> So, I created this list. I felt a forum where pics could be posted and someone could say what they wanted without getting booted would be a natural. Less government intervention if you will. I was wrong.
>
> During the ensuing years I lurked on GG under various names. Posted a few times too. At some point, someone figured out Dave was really me and started posting such information on the GG. Within a week I was booted off again. By then I knew it was a personal thing. So, I signed back onto GG under another fake name and didn’t post anything for a long time.
>
> Still, I always thought the TeamGrumman-List would eventually gain traction and real concerns could be posted without wading through a thousand posts about flaps or fuel pumps.
>
> —————————————
>
> So, this is the last post. I’ll be closing down the TeamGrumman-List. Future posts will be to the AuCountry Aviation Facebook page. Most of them have been to that FB page for a while anyway since it’s easy to put a lot of pics on FB.
>
> 1) Last summer I did a lot of work on N28797. Some of you know that story. The problem was that I estimated it would take 16 hours to install a EDM 900. Then the owner wanted new radios. Then he didn’t. Then I found automotive wiring going to a lot of things. I fixed some without authorization. I fixed broken headphone wires without authorization. My bad. Bottom line was: I didn’t present for approval an updated estimate. I learned that lesson well.
>
> 2) I just finished installing an EDM 830. I gave an estimate of 16 hours for it as well. 16 hours was the standard for all the early 700/800 analyzers. JPI has added a few features at no extra cost and it takes longer to install. Figure about 20-22 hours to install the EDM 830.
>
> After the installation, I pulled the plane out to test fly and verify the EDM 830 works. During the startup, the left brake would lose pressure and the pedal would go to the floor. I shut the engine down, got out and checked for leaks and found nothing. I crawled under the panel to check for leaks, and found nothing. I could pump it up and it would hold so I taxied out. Each application of the left brake required pumping the brake. At the engine runup, the left brake wen to the floor and I found I had no left brake at all. Pumping it did nothing. I shut it down again and pulled the plane all the way back to the hangar. Today I’ll bleed the brake and see what happens.
>
> Take care one-and-all. Follow me on Facebook.
>
> Gary
>
>
>
>
>
>

george(at)oilhelp.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Anybody out there???? Reply with quote

Gary, what do you know about korat? Are you talking about Korat Thailand?

Best Regards,

George Douglas
Amsoil Distributor
office 407-856-1564
toll free 800-887-6698
cell 321-663-5391
www.oilhelp.com
--

deej(at)deej.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Anybody out there???? Reply with quote

On 3/26/2016 2:08 PM, Gary L Vogt wrote:
Quote:
If you can follow on Facebook, that’s great. If not, I will miss your support.

Hi Gary,
Sorry to see you abandon the list. Facebook is simply too annoying to
use as a serious communications tool.

E-Mail that comes into my Inbox gets checked several times per day, and
there is very little effort or time to consume and respond if necessary.

Facebook, on the other hand, requires a concerted effort to go check
the pages you are interested in. The "feed" on a Facebook account is a
joke, and full of ads and other cruft I don't care to waste my time
seeing.

There is no way to sort and filter the information that you want to
see, and no way to archive any important messages, which are especially
useful to reference when out in the shop working on something.

I do check Facebook maybe once per week to see what some people are
doing, but I know I miss a lot of posts, and it is very clear that it
has no intrinsic value like a dedicated mailing list does.

My half cents, fwiw,

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87
Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/
Glastar Flyer N866RH - http://deej.net/glastar/

mmacdonald(at)wi.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Anybody out there???? Reply with quote

Gary,

You may have three. I learn a lot from your posts and the other's comments. Sad to see the list go.

Mark MacDonald

--

andrew(at)entro.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Anybody out there???? Reply with quote

Gary,

I enjoyed your posts and the varied opinions. I too learned a lot. Thanks,

Andrew Kuzyk

[quote] On Mar 27, 2016, at 12:05 PM, Mark MacDonald <mmacdonald(at)wi.rr.com> wrote:

Gary,

You may have three. I learn a lot from your posts and the other's comments. Sad to see the list go.

Mark MacDonald

--

teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Anybody out there???? Reply with quote

The post are still out there. They are on Facebook.

Thanks for the support.
Gary
[quote] On Mar 27, 2016, at 10:01 AM, Andrew Kuzyk <andrew(at)entro.com> wrote:

Gary,

I enjoyed your posts and the varied opinions. I too learned a lot. Thanks,

Andrew Kuzyk

> On Mar 27, 2016, at 12:05 PM, Mark MacDonald <mmacdonald(at)wi.rr.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Gary,
>
> You may have three. I learn a lot from your posts and the other's comments. Sad to see the list go.
>
> Mark MacDonald
>
> --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: