Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VORTEX GENERATORS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetPilot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: VORTEX GENERATORS Reply with quote

I am building a Kolb MK-III Xtra and have been reading about vortex generators. People with the Firestars seem to like them, so im wondering if they are worth putting on the MK-III ? If anyone has done this I would like to konw how much they help the stall speed and slow speed flying qualities. People with firestars only report losing a couple MPH in cruise, but being that the MK III does 80 in cruise with a 912S I would think that the speed penalty might be greater on a faster airplane.

Michael A. Bigelow

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Larry Cottrell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VORTEX GENERATORS Reply with quote

I also put them on a Mark III that I had for a while and they definately helped. I just sent a post about the placement on my firestar wing and (note that the word is singular, your experience may be different)I found this particular placement to give me the best benefit. That was 11 inches back on the full ribs, and the ones on the false ribs were set so that the back of the new ones were even with the front of the old ones. I did not in the interest of science do any further experimenting. My result was a stall of 26 MPH. Down from 36 MPH. I cannot tell you for sure what my original stall was since I put a static port in the bottom of my pod just under the rudder pedals. When I got the plane it was stalling at 46 MPH, but as I say I do not know how accurate that was.
Larry

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VORTEX GENERATORS Reply with quote

With all the people using vortex generators out there, I was hoping to get a little more information.

It seems that I definately want them, so what I need to know now is which ones are the best. I hear of kits, I see some people make thier own. I just dont know which design of vortex generator works the best.

Also, how many should I put on the wing, and what is the best location ?

Thanks,

Michael A. Bigelow

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VORTEX GENERATORS Reply with quote

Jet pilot,
Look up Possums on this site. I installed VGs on my Twinstar and the results are outstanding. I cut 80 of them from thin plastic,1" long,1/4" high. Found a template and installed them along the entire wing. Do it.

Weight shift Quick, Chrysler
JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VORTEX GENERATORS Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Jet pilot,
Look up Possums on this site.

I get like 1000 hits back when I search "possums", someone with that name posts a lot !!!

Mark wrote:

Weight shift Quick, Chrysler

Oh my gawd Shocked The weight shift quicksilver was my first solo !! I had one of those in high school. Do you still fly that ? Talk about a peice of history ! Tell me more about it Mr. Green

Michael A. Bigelow

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: