Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gear leg gap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredorosa(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: gear leg gap Reply with quote

Has anyone done anything about the gap where the gear leg goes through the wing fairing?

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

IMG_0635.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.42 KB
 Viewed:  4841 Time(s)

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.74 KB
 Viewed:  4841 Time(s)

IMG_0637.jpg

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: gear leg gap Reply with quote

Al,
Since I have not finished my project yet I hesitate to say anything but I did fabricate a gear fairing using foam and fiberglass. I can show you the installed photos yet but you can see my steps and what the finished fairings will look like on my web page. The only thing remaining is to split the fairings for installation and add the screws. (OH and paint which seems to be my damnation.)
(LandingGearFairing.html)
Hope this helps.
Bob Reed

To: kisbuilders <kis-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2016 3:58 PM
Subject: gear leg gap

Has anyone done anything about the gap where the gear leg goes through the wing fairing?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: gear leg gap Reply with quote

I made fairings for my TR-1

Tim

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Alfred Rosa
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2016 1:58 PM
To: kisbuilders

Virus-free. www.avast.com

jerzy_krasinski(at)sbcglo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: gear leg gap Reply with quote

Alfred,
In my KIS I started flying with the gap roughly the same size as yours.
A year later, after a lot of flying, I checked the gear and I found the fiberglass ground away a millimeter or so of aluminum from the gear.
The gear flexes quite a bit depending on the load and somehow the aluminum gear gets in contact with the fiberglass,
I increased the gap and I did a lot of grinding on the gear to make its thickness even.
I do not know if the same abrasion will happen with your gear, but it might.
Watch the paint on the gear when you start flying if there are any signs of contact. Or increase the gap a little.
I do not know if this gap creates a significant drag.
I made fairings for the front gear and that made a few miles in speed.
Jerzy

On Monday, May 9, 2016 4:00 PM, Alfred Rosa <fredorosa(at)gmail.com> wrote:

fredorosa(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: gear leg gap Reply with quote

Yes the gap I have is probably not big enough to clear the flexing of the gear. We will see with time.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 9, 2016, at 6:35 PM, jerzy krasinski <jerzy_krasinski(at)sbcglobal.net (jerzy_krasinski(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Alfred,
In my KIS I started flying with the gap roughly the same size as yours.
A year later, after a lot of flying, I checked the gear and I found the fiberglass ground away a millimeter or so of aluminum from the gear.
The gear flexes quite a bit depending on the load and somehow the aluminum gear gets in contact with the fiberglass,
I increased the gap and I did a lot of grinding on the gear to make its thickness even.
I do not know if the same abrasion will happen with your gear, but it might.
Watch the paint on the gear when you start flying if there are any signs of contact. Or increase the gap a little.
I do not know if this gap creates a significant drag.
I made fairings for the front gear and that made a few miles in speed.
Jerzy

On Monday, May 9, 2016 4:00 PM, Alfred Rosa <fredorosa(at)gmail.com (fredorosa(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

fredorosa(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: gear leg gap Reply with quote

Nice job Bob. I don't know the feasibility of screwing it stationary to the bottom since the gear will flex dramatically. Maybe best to leave them off.
Al

Sent from my iPhone

On May 9, 2016, at 5:44 PM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Al,
Since I have not finished my project yet I hesitate to say anything but I did fabricate a gear fairing using foam and fiberglass. I can show you the installed photos yet but you can see my steps and what the finished fairings will look like on my web page. The only thing remaining is to split the fairings for installation and add the screws. (OH and paint which seems to be my damnation.)
Hope this helps.
Bob Reed

From: Alfred Rosa <fredorosa(at)gmail.com (fredorosa(at)gmail.com)>
To: kisbuilders <kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)>

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: gear leg gap Reply with quote

I have seen them used before but will have to take the flex into consideration that is a given.
Bob

To: "kis-list(at)matronics.com" <kis-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2016 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: gear leg gap

Nice job Bob. I don't know the feasibility of screwing it stationary to the bottom since the gear will flex dramatically. Maybe best to leave them off.
AlSent from my iPhone
On May 9, 2016, at 5:44 PM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Al,

Hope this helps.

Bob Reed
From: Alfred Rosa <fredorosa(at)gmail.com (fredorosa(at)gmail.com)> To: kisbuilders <kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)> Sent: Monday, May 9, 2016 3:58 PM Subject: gear leg gap

kentpyle(at)iland.net

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: gear leg gap Reply with quote

yes, I made foam masters then fiberglass . Yes they flex and will need to be hollow so they can flex. Kent

Sent: Monday, May 09, 2016 6:54 PM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: gear leg gap

Al

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Al,

Hope this helps.

Bob Reed

From: Alfred Rosa <fredorosa(at)gmail.com (fredorosa(at)gmail.com)>
To: kisbuilders <kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: KIS-List: gear leg gap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: