Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lycoming Oil Screen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HCRV6(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Lycoming Oil Screen Reply with quote

Helping a friend on the condition inspection on his RV-7with Lyc 0-360 we ran into a problem trying to reinstall the oil screen plug that I have not encountered or heard of before. It seems that just as the plug is snugged up hand tight against the new crush gasket it feels as if it has bottomed out solid against something and cannot be torqued the appropriate additional 135 degrees even with a wrench. We called on the assistance of a third very experienced A&P/AI who confirmed what we encountered but is just a baffled as we are.  We all individually inspected both internal and external threads and verified that the screen itself appears to be properly seated at both ends and each tried multiple times to refit the plug to the point that I began to feel that we were just demonstrating Einstein's definition of insanity. Anybody ever encountered this before or have any helpful ideas.

Harry Crosby

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Painless

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Lycoming Oil Screen Reply with quote

Hi Harry:

I have a similar experience with my 0320-E2D. I have attributed it to wear from re-torqueing over the life of the engine/screen housing. That's just my conjecture, no scientific fact though.

What I have done to compensate is install two crush washers. Allows me to torque to spec with no leaks.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Peshtigo, WI
---- Harry <HCRV6(at)comcast.net> wrote:
Quote:
Helping a friend on the condition inspection on his RV-7with Lyc 0-360 we ran into a problem trying to reinstall the oil screen plug that I have not encountered or heard of before. It seems that just as the plug is snugged up hand tight against the new crush gasket it feels as if it has bottomed out solid against something and cannot be torqued the appropriate additional 135 degrees even with a wrench. We called on the assistance of a third very experienced A&P/AI who confirmed what we encountered but is just a baffled as we are. We all individually inspected both internal and external threads and verified that the screen itself appears to be properly seated at both ends and each tried multiple times to refit the plug to the point that I began to feel that we were just demonstrating Einstein's definition of insanity. Anybody ever encountered this before or have any helpful ideas.

Harry Crosby

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vanremog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Lycoming Oil Screen Reply with quote

Helping a friend on the condition inspection on his RV-7with Lyc 0-360 we ran into a problem trying to reinstall the oil screen plug that I have not encountered or heard of before.  It seems that just as the plug is snugged up hand tight against the new crush gasket it feels as if it has bottomed out solid against something and cannot be torqued the appropriate additional 135 degrees even with a wrench.  We called on the assistance of a third very experienced A&P/AI who confirmed what we encountered but is just a baffled as we are.  We all individually inspected both internal and external threads and verified that the screen itself appears to be properly seated at both ends and each tried  multiple times to refit the plug to the point that I began to feel that we were just demonstrating Einstein's definition of insanity.  Anybody ever encountered this before or have any helpful ideas.

Harry Crosby

jhnstniii(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Lycoming Oil Screen Reply with quote

I think this may be your problem. My experience is that it fits into a receptacle inside the engine and has to be nested in there and not caught on the edge of it or it won't be far enough in to tighten the plug. It's tricky. You have to place it in by hand,  the carefully put the other end in the depression in the plug without letting it fall out of the receptacle before you tighten. Hope this makes sense. --LeRoy Johnston RV6A Esperanza 1060 hours.
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 3, 2016, at 1:17 PM, Harry <HCRV6(at)comcast.net (HCRV6(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Helping a friend on the condition inspection on his RV-7with Lyc 0-360 we ran into a problem trying to reinstall the oil screen plug that I have not encountered or heard of before. It seems that just as the plug is snugged up hand tight against the new crush gasket it feels as if it has bottomed out solid against something and cannot be torqued the appropriate additional 135 degrees even with a wrench.  We called on the assistance of a third very experienced A&P/AI who confirmed what we encountered but is just a baffled as we are. We all individually inspected both internal and external threads and verified that the screen itself appears to be properly seated at both ends and each tried  multiple times to refit the plug to the point that I began to feel that we were just demonstrating Einstein's definition of insanity. Anybody ever encountered this before or have any helpful ideas.

Harry Crosby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: