Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement Canopy gas spring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mppalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Replacement Canopy gas spring Reply with quote

Hi Darrell:

Thanks for the quick reply. I had learned about Orr & Orr from an earlier post on gas springs on Matronics. Unfortunately, they don't have anything on their website that looks like it will work for my application. I looked at what you recommended, and then I remembered that the gas springs on the original Glasair I canopies are a lot different than on the II's and III's. But I'll call Orr & Orr to see if they have a cross reference to my old FAN118.

FWIW, the OEM springs had a force of 50 lbs. I found that 40 to 45 worked well.

The one that failed had been recharged a couple days before and held pressure for a day or two. But I guess the seal has dried out. If anyone knows a trick for getting oil back in the strut, I'm willing to try again. (Mouse Milk? 3 in 1?)

In the meantime, I found a slightly shorter, less powerful gas spring at AutoZone that might get me by for a while. I plan to visit NAPA and O"Reilly first, to see if they have anything better. If I find something that squeaks by, I'll post ordering info here.

Mike <><
Mike,=C2-I ordered new gas springs from http://www.orror
r.com,=C2-and I didn't have to do any modifications. The new springs are
thinner, and thus weigh slightly less than the originals, but the length is
the same. I ordered the 15# springs, and although they do hold the canopie
s open, it doesn't take much force at all for the canopy to come down, so I
recommend going with a higher pressure.=C2-Here's what I ordered:
Product Number: H-9518-15
Product Name: Gas Springs with Blade Ends (Steel)
Items Per Package: 1
Package Type:Each
Price: 14.25=C2-=C2-
Quantity:3

Item Total: 42.75=C2-
Hope this helps.Darrell DoerhoffBuilding a Glasair 1RGIn Tompkinsville, Ky.
(KTZV)

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: