Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#1 cylinder block-off plate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: #1 cylinder block-off plate Reply with quote

For those of you running a four cylinder:
What does your #1 block off plate look like?
What kind of shape is it?
What dimensions at each end?
How well does it control / regulate the CHT balance for #1 and #3?
Do you notice differences between climb attitude and level flight attitude?

My #2 and #4 side seems to be pretty well balanced - even with the oil cooler opening up behind the #4. My #1 and #3 side still has the #3 CHT a little higher than I want it consistently and I have been fiddling with the size/shape of the #1 baffle in an effort to get a better level attitude balance. I have the spacer washer between the #3 baffle wraparound and the cylinder head - but I also have the openings for the muffler/heater air back there at the #3 area as well.

I'm trying to get a sense of what is working for folks out there - how big/small, what shape, and how effective.

I have installed the 'Turbo' shrouds at the suggestion of my FI vendor to help balance the injector flows - that seems to be working quite well!

Thanks,
Ralph Capen
Aerosport XP IO360B1F6 with LASAR ignition and Airflow Performance injection

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Kellym

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: #1 cylinder block-off plate Reply with quote

You want the baffle to sit in front of the #1 cylinder head. You vary
the height to get the desired balance. I recommend using aluminum tape
for testing what dimension you need. For my -10, Vans supplied the
baffle, too large, and it had to be trimmed to size. (It was part of the
engine baffle kit, if I recall correctly. #2 needs a spacer between the
cyl head and the baffle, just like the rear of #3. If you need, I can
send you a document written for Cessna Cardinals. The factory didn't put
in spacers, and the CHTs ran about 40 degrees hotter without spacers.
All due to the intake side of Lyc cylinder heads having virtually no
cooling fins.

On 8/9/2016 6:17 AM, Ralph E. Capen wrote:
Quote:

For those of you running a four cylinder:
What does your #1 block off plate look like?
What kind of shape is it?
What dimensions at each end?
How well does it control / regulate the CHT balance for #1 and #3?
Do you notice differences between climb attitude and level flight attitude?

My #2 and #4 side seems to be pretty well balanced - even with the oil cooler opening up behind the #4. My #1 and #3 side still has the #3 CHT a little higher than I want it consistently and I have been fiddling with the size/shape of the #1 baffle in an effort to get a better level attitude balance. I have the spacer washer between the #3 baffle wraparound and the cylinder head - but I also have the openings for the muffler/heater air back there at the #3 area as well.

I'm trying to get a sense of what is working for folks out there - how big/small, what shape, and how effective.

I have installed the 'Turbo' shrouds at the suggestion of my FI vendor to help balance the injector flows - that seems to be working quite well!

Thanks,
Ralph Capen
Aerosport XP IO360B1F6 with LASAR ignition and Airflow Performance injection

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: #1 cylinder block-off plate Reply with quote

Thanks!

The baffle kit for the O360 from Vans didn't have the #1 front plate from my recollection (I assembled those parts almost ten years ago and have been flying for a while). What I ended up with is well within limits - just higher for the #3 and I think it could be better! The most recent 'tests' with a larger #1 block-off plate had the #3 CHT go up - so I'm thinking there is some sort of flow burble in there (yes, I checked the CHT sensor wiring!).

I have the washer spacer on the back of the #3 - I can make it thicker or thinner too as part of this experiment.

I'll take the Cardinal document please!

I'm interested in the shapes and sizes that folks are happy with.

Thanks again!

--

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: #1 cylinder block-off plate Reply with quote

Thanks Gary,

I wasn't able to find OP-40 or OP-44 in the list - I did find OP-4 though - must be for the set - looks like this for an 8. I'll dig around and see if I can find them in my drawings folder.

I have the drawings for the 6 - 360 (not real drawings like the OP's that you reference)

Ralphand it doesn't have the one for the passenger side - the one for the pilot's side is almost identical to the 6 - 360 drawing...and waaay smaller than the picture you sent. Mine for the passenger side is a similar shape - but smaller so it looks like I have some fiddle room!

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: