Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prop Governor Alternative
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Turner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Prop Governor Alternative Reply with quote

Here's what my insurance policy says (USAIG):

---------
Wear and tear. We won't cover loss or damage to your aircraft caused by and confined to wear and tear, deterioration, mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure. Damage caused by breakdown, failure or malfunction of any engine component, accessory or part will be considered mechanical breakdown of the entire engine, and is not covered.
---------

The way I read this is that if I had an MT governor failure that I'd be out of luck with regard to subsequent engine damage, at least as far as insurance coverage. Presuming the governor is an "engine accessory".

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

tsts4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Prop Governor Alternative Reply with quote

Bob Turner wrote:
Here's what my insurance policy says (USAIG):

---------
Wear and tear. We won't cover loss or damage to your aircraft caused by and confined to wear and tear, deterioration, mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure. Damage caused by breakdown, failure or malfunction of any engine component, accessory or part will be considered mechanical breakdown of the entire engine, and is not covered.
---------

The way I read this is that if I had an MT governor failure that I'd be out of luck with regard to subsequent engine damage, at least as far as insurance coverage. Presuming the governor is an "engine accessory".

Well I guess the good news is you found out your policy limitations before finding out the hard way you weren't covered.

The decision now is do you stay with what you got, upgrade (if that's even an option ), or switch carriers? FYI I'm at $23K in estimates and that's before any repairs.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Prop Governor Alternative Reply with quote

I'm very happy with USAIG. If I had had an MT, and if it had caused a problem, I'd be looking for a lawyer, if necessary, to sue MT. With a SB coming out, essentially stating that there was a problem, my guess is MT will eventually be paying for all affected engines.

tsts4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Prop Governor Alternative Reply with quote

Bob Turner wrote:
I'm very happy with USAIG. If I had had an MT, and if it had caused a problem, I'd be looking for a lawyer, if necessary, to sue MT. With a SB coming out, essentially stating that there was a problem, my guess is MT will eventually be paying for all affected engines.

I finally dug out my AIG policy and have the exact same exclusion wording that you posted. Reading it gives me a headache which one of he reasons I contacted my broker who passed the report to AIG vs trying to figure it out on my own. Good thing too because I would have came to the same conclusion that you posted. The AIG adjuster then contacted me and after getting all the info said I was covered. Myron is too and his underwriter is also AIG. As to why we're covered in the face of that exclusion beats me but I'm not going to argue.

Maybe one of you smart guys can weigh in as to how this all works.

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Prop Governor Alternative Reply with quote

I have no idea, but maybe the prop governor is considered a prop accessory and not an engine accessory?
It's been my experience that good insurance companies don't hassle you over small claims, and $20K is small. Years ago a partner side-swipped a black curb on a blacktop in a dark parking lot, prop strike. Bill was over $20K. Insurance adjuster didn't even come out to look. Just asked us to send a few pictures. He was busy with a downed Lear Jet. They paid the bill, no questions asked.

kearney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Prop Governor Alternative Reply with quote

Hi

My policy which is through Marsh (Lloyd's of London) says:

2. Exclusions

This Policy does not apply: (a) to loss of or damage to any part of an Aircraft which is due and confined to wear and tear, deterioration, breakdown, defects or failures, but this exclusion shall not apply to any resultant loss or damage to any other part of the Aircraft caused by such wear and tear, deterioration, breakdown, defects or failures. For the purposes of this exclusion; (1) progressive or cumulative damage to an Aircraft engine by ingestion and which cannot be attributed to a single recorded incident requiring the immediate withdrawal of the engine from service shall be deemed to be wear and tear; and (2) each Aircraft engine inclusive of the ancillaries necessary for its operation as an engine shall be regarded as a single Aircraft part.

To me, this suggests that a catastrophic failure of the PG which damaged the engine would be covered. That being said, I am sure it could be argued otherwise.

Cheers

Les

jrlark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Prop Governor Alternative Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Myron

Well after flying 32 hours behind my re-worked IO-540, the new MT governor
and my Hartzel prop, I have realized I mis-read the prop manual and my prop
does indeed need to be further evaluated, something Hartzel is doing at
present. It just keeps getting better and better (tongue in cheek).

I believe I saw a post that you stated your insurance co, (AIG?) was going
to cover your engine and prop inspection etc. Am I correct? It may have
been someone else?

My insurance broker here in Ontario which is underwritten by AIG Canada said
there was no basis for a claim. However if AIG is covering things in the
US, then they should also do it here. Can you give me any details so I have
some ammo to attempt negotiate with my broker?

It would be nice if the insurance companies would go after MT for damages,
as I figure as individuals we have little chance of succeeding.

Anyway any info is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Rick
519-797-2242

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: