Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nose tire pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: nose tire pressure Reply with quote

A question and an observation.

What pressure are we using in the nose tire?

At 1100 TT on the aircraft, this morning I had my first maintenance issue away from home base. After landing and breakfast the nose tire was flat. Upon removal it looked as though the tube had been pinched in between the wheel halves. One bolt of the three was loose. I am trying to determine whether it was pinched several years ago when changed or perhaps loosened through use and perhaps slightly opened and pinched after a nose wheel side load. Any thoughts? After retrieving tools and spare tube from the baggage area and the use of a friendly FBO’s hangar, two hours later we were underway again.

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: nose tire pressure Reply with quote

IIRC the plans call for ~42psi.  I try to keep mine above 50. Our recent temperature drops will easily cause a 10% drop in pressure with out any other factors. I sort of recall some trying both high and low pressure to deal with shimmy issues.

Kelly

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 10:42 PM, David <dlm34077(at)cox.net (dlm34077(at)cox.net)> wrote:
Quote:

A question and an observation.

What pressure are we using in the nose tire?

At 1100 TT on the aircraft, this morning I had my first maintenance issue away from home base. After landing and breakfast the nose tire was flat. Upon removal it looked as though the tube had been pinched in between the wheel halves. One bolt of the three was loose. I am trying to determine whether it was pinched several years ago when changed or perhaps loosened through use and perhaps slightly opened and pinched after a nose wheel side load. Any thoughts? After retrieving tools and spare tube from the baggage area and the use of a friendly FBO’s hangar, two hours later we were underway again.

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: nose tire pressure Reply with quote

I'm more concerned about the loose bolt than the tube. If the bolts fail the rims can come apart with a lot of force. I'd check the bolt carefully before re-installing. Make sure the lock nut cannot be turned by hand.

Lew Gallagher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: nose tire pressure Reply with quote

Hey Kelly,

Glad to hear that you run at 50. A side note: I’ve redone too many nose pants because the tire pressure gets low, there is not enough clearance at the back of the tire opening and the tire doesn’t recover fast enough on landing so that it grabs the edge of the fiberglass and rips the tail off the tail section in front of the brace baffle. Am I the only one seeing this? Haven’t seen it mentioned.

Later, – Lew

Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 10:02 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: nose tire pressure

IIRC the plans call for ~42psi. I try to keep mine above 50. Our recent temperature drops will easily cause a 10% drop in pressure with out any other factors. I sort of recall some trying both high and low pressure to deal with shimmy issues.

Kelly

NOW OFICIALLY BUILDER #40549
Fly off completed !
rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: nose tire pressure Reply with quote

Lew;
It happens, but only once to me, I fixed it after that! 48 rear and 44 fronts by the way. No shimmy with unbalanced tires.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of lewgall(at)charter.net
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 12:20 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV10-List: nose tire pressure

Hey Kelly,

Glad to hear that you run at 50.  A side note:  I’ve redone too many nose pants because the tire pressure gets low, there is not enough clearance at the back of the tire opening and the tire doesn’t recover fast enough on landing so that it grabs the edge of the fiberglass and rips the tail off the tail section in front of the brace baffle.  Am I the only one seeing this?  Haven’t seen it mentioned.

Later, – Lew

Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 10:02 AM

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Subject: Re: RV10-List: nose tire pressure

IIRC the plans call for ~42psi.  I try to keep mine above 50. Our recent temperature drops will easily cause a 10% drop in pressure with out any other factors. I sort of recall some trying both high and low pressure to deal with shimmy issues.

Kelly

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: nose tire pressure Reply with quote

Davids problem started out with the pinched tube due to poor assembly
techniques. He's not alone so this isn't chastisement. I'm betting that
90% of the airplane owners out there that do their own tire maintenance
were never taught how. I mean, how difficult can it be??? The bolt
issue may have happened at the same time or occurred later. We'll never
know.

Back to my aviation mentor. Everyone should have one. He taught me how
to change tires/tubes and how to prevent most problems.

1) Use plenty of talc .... everywhere except the bearings. Wink Talc the
tube, inside of tire, and the parts of the wheel that will contact tube
and tire. Heavily talcing the wheel rim where the tire bead sits will
be important when you take the tire off next time. Don't forget the
valve stem. Lightly blow out excess talc from the inside of tire. If
there's a lot of excess talc it will end up in one place and can affect
tire balance.

2) Take the valve core out of the valve stem.

3) Place the tube inside the tire and align valve stem with the dot on
the tire.

4) Using your air gun inflate/deflate the tube a couple of times to
remove any folds that may be there. This is important.

5) Put the valve core back in and inflate the tube a little .... so the
wheel halves need a little push to get seated. You will not pinch the
tube between the wheel halves if the tube has sufficient air in it.

6) Bolt the wheel halves together and torque to manufacturers
recommendation. They do vary.

7) Remove the valve core and use the blow gun to inflate/deflate a
couple of times to make sure no folds exist. Call it insurance.

Cool Put the tire back on the plane and air up until the outside tread
just lifts off the ground. Note the tire pressure if it makes you feel
good.

9) Go fly!!!! Smile

Now for some comments. YMMV.

When I change tires I always clean and regrease the bearings. If the
grease dries out between tire changes you aren't flying enough. I do not
change tubes every time I replace the tire. When they're out of the
tire I over-inflate and look for checking in the tube. If there's any
checking at all it's time to replace the tube. Pay particular attention
to the tube where the valve stem is. I've never had a flat in over 40
years of flying.

Linn .... still passionate about aviation after all those years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: