Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O-200 Engine Tightness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: O-200 Engine Tightness Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that directly after flying my O-200 powered Zodiac 601XLB that when turning the prop over, it seems to be tight.

I recently finished an annual and found some metal filings in the oil filter. I stripped the engine and replaced the crankshaft gear cluster and added a new starter gear.

During the stripping of the engine I noticed the bearings were slightly discoloured. The engine has 180 hours since a major rebuild.

I had the engine parts inspected by the local engine shop and he found I hadn't used the two special bolts to hold the crankcase halves in alignment.

He checked all the clearances (all good) and reassembled the engine halves and the cylinders for me including the two special bolts.

I re-installed the engine and all is working well but I still find the engine stiff to turn over after flight.

The oil temp stays around 180 F and power is good. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I fly for an hour or for 20 minutes.

After the engine has cooled the tightness disappears.

Is there anything I should be looking at?

Thanks

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
jack(at)bedfordlandings.c

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: O-200 Engine Tightness Reply with quote

Peter, the A65 on my Pietenpol is the same.  It is much looser when cold, and after flying for a short while is noticeably tighter.  Mine has about 375 hours SMOH.  I think that is just a characteristic of the small Continentals.

Jack Phillips
Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Peter Johnson
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 5:41 PM
To: continental-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: O-200 Engine Tightness

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that directly after flying my O-200 powered Zodiac 601XLB that when turning the prop over, it seems to be tight.

I recently finished an annual and found some metal filings in the oil filter. I stripped the engine and replaced the crankshaft gear cluster and added a new starter gear.

During the stripping of the engine I noticed the bearings were slightly discoloured. The engine has 180 hours since a major rebuild.

I had the engine parts inspected by the local engine shop and he found I hadn't used the two special bolts to hold the crankcase halves in alignment.

He checked all the clearances (all good) and reassembled the engine halves and the cylinders for me including the two special bolts.

I re-installed the engine and all is working well but I still find the engine stiff to turn over after flight.

The oil temp stays around 180 F and power is good. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I fly for an hour or for 20 minutes.

Thanks

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: O-200 Engine Tightness Reply with quote

Jack,

Thanks for that. A little piece of mind.

I haven’t noticed the same on my A65 powered Piet but that may have more hours on it and loosened up a bit more.

Cheers

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia

From: <owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Jack Philips <jack(at)bedfordlandings.com>
Reply-To: <continental-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Sunday, 16 October 2016 at 12:02 am
To: <continental-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: O-200 Engine Tightness

Peter, the A65 on my Pietenpol is the same. It is much looser when cold, and after flying for a short while is noticeably tighter. Mine has about 375 hours SMOH. I think that is just a characteristic of the small Continentals.

Jack Phillips

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Peter Johnson

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia

stephencliverichards(at)g

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: O-200 Engine Tightness Reply with quote

Our 0200 is the same 80 hours after replacing barrels and pistons

Sent: ‎16/‎10/‎2016 00:28
To: continental-list(at)matronics.com (continental-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: O-200 Engine Tightness

Jack,

I haven’t noticed the same on my A65 powered Piet but that may have more hours on it and loosened up a bit more.

Cheers

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia

From: <owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Jack Philips <jack(at)bedfordlandings.com>
Reply-To: <continental-list(at)matronics.com>
To: <continental-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: O-200 Engine Tightness

Peter, the A65 on my Pietenpol is the same. It is much looser when cold, and after flying for a short while is noticeably tighter.  Mine has about 375 hours SMOH. I think that is just a characteristic of the small Continentals.

Jack Phillips

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia

vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: O-200 Engine Tightness Reply with quote

Thanks Steve

Peter

On 19 Oct. 2016, at 4:46 am, Stephen Richards <stephencliverichards(at)gmail.com (stephencliverichards(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Our 0200 is the same 80 hours after replacing barrels and pistons

Sent: ‎16/‎10/‎2016 00:28
Subject: Re: Continental-List: O-200 Engine Tightness

Jack,

Cheers

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia

From: <owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Jack Philips <jack(at)bedfordlandings.com (jack(at)bedfordlandings.com)>
Reply-To: <continental-list(at)matronics.com (continental-list(at)matronics.com)>
To: <continental-list(at)matronics.com (continental-list(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: RE: Continental-List: O-200 Engine Tightness

Peter, the A65 on my Pietenpol is the same.  It is much looser when cold, and after flying for a short while is noticeably tighter. Mine has about 375 hours SMOH. I think that is just a characteristic of the small Continentals.

Jack Phillips

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Peter Johnson

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: