Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngoodman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

We are getting ready to hang our engine, and I'm wondering about the control cable pass throughs on the plans for the F1007K Recess. They seem to be off to the side, because it would otherwise hit something.
You folks that have already completed one, what's the story - can another pass through be located on the recess, and where? Any caveats? We are not doing anything funky, such as relocating the IO-540 oil filter.

John

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

#40572 Phase One complete in 2011
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

I've never tried a different location. Part of the issue is the length of the cables and how they attach to the bracket that goes between the fuel servo and the engine sump. If you locate them differently, you need to make sure your lengths will work fine and that the cables can enter the bracket at the correct angle.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2016, at 7:30 PM, johngoodman <johngoodman(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

We are getting ready to hang our engine, and I'm wondering about the control cable pass throughs on the plans for the F1007K Recess. They seem to be off to the side, because it would otherwise hit something.
You folks that have already completed one, what's the story - can another pass through be located on the recess, and where? Any caveats? We are not doing anything funky, such as relocating the IO-540 oil filter.

John

--------

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=461991#461991

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

I used the provided holes. They worked.

Note, while the Van's recommended mixture and prop cables worked, the recommended throttle cable was too short. I sent it back to Van's and exchanged it for the 50.5" cable the list for the RV-7. That one fits well.

Carl

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2016, at 7:30 PM, johngoodman <johngoodman(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

John

--------

philperry9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

I found that all 3 passing through the factory holes was too close and severely disfigured the small sliver of stainless between each of the holes. I instead covered those holes and made 3 new holes, where I wanted them, in the recess. They're finished out with eyeball pass throughs.

I wish I had never drilled the original holes to size. I had to build a stainless plate to rivet over them with pro-seal to seal it. It would have been easier and better just to drop a rivet in the holes and move in with real holes where they worked better with the material.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2016, at 6:30 PM, johngoodman <johngoodman(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

John

--------

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Perhaps you drilled the holes too big. I remember needing to strip the control cables of all hardware and rubber fairings to fit through the grommets.

Carl

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2016, at 8:07 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I found that all 3 passing through the factory holes was too close and severely disfigured the small sliver of stainless between each of the holes. I instead covered those holes and made 3 new holes, where I wanted them, in the recess. They're finished out with eyeball pass throughs.

I wish I had never drilled the original holes to size. I had to build a stainless plate to rivet over them with pro-seal to seal it. It would have been easier and better just to drop a rivet in the holes and move in with real holes where they worked better with the material.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 3, 2016, at 6:30 PM, johngoodman <johngoodman(at)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> We are getting ready to hang our engine, and I'm wondering about the control cable pass throughs on the plans for the F1007K Recess. They seem to be off to the side, because it would otherwise hit something.
> You folks that have already completed one, what's the story - can another pass through be located on the recess, and where? Any caveats? We are not doing anything funky, such as relocating the IO-540 oil filter.
>
> John
>
> --------
> #40572 Phase One complete in 2011
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=461991#461991
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

philperry9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

That's what I did too, but didn't have much success with my
Installation.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2016, at 7:46 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net> wrote:

Perhaps you drilled the holes too big. I remember needing to strip the control cables of all hardware and rubber fairings to fit through the grommets.

Carl

> On Nov 3, 2016, at 8:07 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I found that all 3 passing through the factory holes was too close and severely disfigured the small sliver of stainless between each of the holes. I instead covered those holes and made 3 new holes, where I wanted them, in the recess. They're finished out with eyeball pass throughs.
>
> I wish I had never drilled the original holes to size. I had to build a stainless plate to rivet over them with pro-seal to seal it. It would have been easier and better just to drop a rivet in the holes and move in with real holes where they worked better with the material.
>
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 3, 2016, at 6:30 PM, johngoodman <johngoodman(at)earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> We are getting ready to hang our engine, and I'm wondering about the control cable pass throughs on the plans for the F1007K Recess. They seem to be off to the side, because it would otherwise hit something.
>> You folks that have already completed one, what's the story - can another pass through be located on the recess, and where? Any caveats? We are not doing anything funky, such as relocating the IO-540 oil filter.
>>
>> John
>>
>> --------
>> #40572 Phase One complete in 2011
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=461991#461991
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

johngoodman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Question Reply with quote

I really appreciate the replies, but I was wondering about the fourth cable to the alternate air. If we use a cable pass through instead of the specified grommets, is there a good place for the fourth one?
Also, IF we use Actuators (instead of cables) for the heat, could a pass through for electrical wires work in the recess? We are actually thinking of a single actuator for the rear seat heat control.

John

larkrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

[quote][b] [quote][b]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

John,

I did not like having the other controls mixed in with the engine and prop
controls. I moved the Engine Alt Air to the left side of the panel apron,
next to the Oil Cooler Air butterfly valve control. The two cabin heat
controls on mid way on the right side of the apron. I replaced the provided
piece of angle for the engine controls with a new piece of aluminum (I bent
a piece of 0.050). In the attached photo the far left red control is for
Engine Alt Air. The black control next to it is for oil cooler air.

One other thing I did was to add a piece of 3/4" x 3/4" .063 aluminum
between the apron (near the engine controls) and the firewall. I did not
link the apron flex when moving the controls - the angle provides a much
more solid feel.

Note - this is the second panel in the RV-10. The first one lasted about 18
months. Since this photo the panel has again been twice modified to add the
Dynon Knob Panel (I don't know how I lived without it) and breakers and
light for a B&C aux alternator. My point being make sure you plan on panel
changes and modifications. You will not know what you want until after you
have some hours in the plane. For me replacing a panel is a new $27 panel
blank from Van's, cutting some holes and paint. If you get one of the really
nice custom panels your may find a modification harder to perform.

Carl
RV-8A (sold 2012)
RV-10 (sold 2016)
RV-8 (waiting for all the kits to arrive next month)

--

3-8-14_replacement_panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.67 KB
 Viewed:  7218 Time(s)

3-8-14_replacement_panel.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: