Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loehle aircraft and airplane paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas.n.gautier(at)jpl.n

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Loehle aircraft and airplane paint Reply with quote

RV-10ers,

After some years of building and lurking on the list I am ready to paint my ’10. I have been using Loehle Aircraft primers for the fiberglass parts and I would like to do the same for painting the metal. However I have been unsuccessful in contacting Loehle Aircraft by telephone nor e-mail after repeated attempts over the last two weeks. Does anyone know if something has happened to Loehle Aircraft?

Also, do you listers have suggestions (of course you do) for a different, easily usable paint system in case I can’t get more Loehle material?

Regards,
Nick Gautier
N363TG reserved

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Loehle aircraft and airplane paint Reply with quote

No data on Loehle ......
I cleaned the aluminum parts with lacquer thinner and then acid etched
just prior to painting the primer. I used Sherwin Williams acrylic
enamel automotive paint (FPC135W which is their white fleet paint) and
the FP410 primer. I did not want to use the two stage base coat/clear
coat because I saw what the professionals produced on lots of cars on
the road.
Linn

On 12/2/2016 12:28 PM, Gautier, Thomas N (3262) wrote:
Quote:
RV-10ers,

After some years of building and lurking on the list I am ready to
paint my ’10. I have been using Loehle Aircraft primers for the
fiberglass parts and I would like to do the same for painting the
metal. However I have been unsuccessful in contacting Loehle Aircraft
by telephone nor e-mail after repeated attempts over the last two
weeks. Does anyone know if something has happened to Loehle Aircraft?

Also, do you listers have suggestions (of course you do) for a
different, easily usable paint system in case I can’t get more Loehle
material?

Regards,
Nick Gautier
N363TG reserved

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gengrumpy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Loehle aircraft and airplane paint Reply with quote

I live neat them and he painted my 10 8 years ago. I know that they have had some health issues, and I will see if I can get in touch with them.
grumpy
do not archive
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2016, at 11:28 AM, Gautier, Thomas N (3262) <thomas.n.gautier(at)jpl.nasa.gov (thomas.n.gautier(at)jpl.nasa.gov)> wrote:
RV-10ers,

After some years of building and lurking on the list I am ready to paint my ’10. I have been using Loehle Aircraft primers for the fiberglass parts and I would like to do the same for painting the metal. However I have been unsuccessful in contacting Loehle Aircraft by telephone nor e-mail after repeated attempts over the last two weeks. Does anyone know if something has happened to Loehle Aircraft?

Also, do you listers have suggestions (of course you do) for a different, easily usable paint system in case I can’t get more Loehle material?

Regards,
Nick Gautier
N363TG reserved

vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Loehle aircraft and airplane paint Reply with quote

I placed an order with Sandy at Loehle back in September.  I received everything but my Wonderfill, it was marked as backordered.  I tried contacting them in October and November to find out where my order was, and never could get in touch with anyone.
My gut tells me they have just quietly shut the doors, and not notified their customers.
I have used their product to completely prep and prime the plane.  I am not to happy with it, as it orange peeled pretty much the entire project.  It is going to require some elbow grease to smooth things out before I paint.  But I want to finish the plane and get in the air for a year or so before I paint, in case I want to do any post-build modifications.

I am not sure what you are needing at this point, but I found a good replacement for Wonderfill was Dolphin Glaze.  Takes a little more sanding, but fills the pinholes, scratches, and imperfections a little easier than bondo.  Here is what I used to finish things up, my local paint supplier carries it for around $10.

I have played with some paint, I decided to go with what Vans uses; Valspar 852 Polyurethane.  This is a fantastic product, and looks great, see the metallic blue on my pants and spinner.  When I finally decide to paint the whole plane, this is what I will be going with.
Attaching an image of what things look like right now.
Good luck!
Vernon
[img]cid:ii_158c5a522e4bd86f[/img]

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>

No data on Loehle ......
I cleaned the aluminum parts with lacquer thinner and then acid etched just prior to painting the primer.  I used Sherwin Williams acrylic enamel automotive paint (FPC135W which is their white fleet paint) and the FP410 primer.  I did not want to use the two stage base coat/clear coat because I saw what the professionals produced on lots of cars on the road.
Linn

Quote:
RV-10ers,

Regards,
Nick Gautier
N363TG reserved

====================================
br> fts!)
r> > /www.aeroelectric.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
w.buildersbooks.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
p.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
e.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.mrrace.com
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Vernon Franklin

20161127_151357.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  289.28 KB
 Viewed:  6020 Time(s)

20161127_151357.jpg

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Loehle aircraft and airplane paint Reply with quote

I used Loehle's fiberglass filler and liked it.  Used different products for the rest of the paint job.

Slightly OT but consider this; There are lot's of very good aircraft and non-aircraft coating systems out there with many different characteristics.  Whatever you choose, try to find a local distributor that you can buy through, but more important, one that can support you through the paint process.  I found that a Dupont distributor that was within driving distance was invaluable.   I also befriended a neighbor who owned a truck paint shop.   Neither knew beans about aircraft but they did know paint - which was the perfect complement for this first time painter.  Sometimes I drove there more than once a day.   I found learning to paint an iterative process that benefited from some local support. If lucky, you can use their curiosity about your project to get them to teach you a bit about their industry.

(After some post-build fiberglass work where I  used Prestec's polyester filler, I'm thinking I should have used that for most of my fill work - has anyone else used Prestec on the '10?  The stuff is a quantum improvement over everything else I've used in terms of ease of use and effectiveness but don't know if suitable for the '10 top.)

Happy Finishing!

Quote:
RV-10ers,

Regards,
Nick Gautier
N363TG reserved

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Loehle aircraft and airplane paint Reply with quote

Bill has good advice .... I went with Sherwin Williams because there was a local automotive paint store.  I could take a piece that I'd painted and wasn't happy with the results to the store and received advice that helped improve my painting.  I also had to deviate from the info sheets to really thin the paint to get a much better flow.  Friends that painted cars helped also.  I had a Harbor Freight paint gun that I was spraying everything with.  It was suggested to use one gun for primer and another for color.  Big improvement.  $125 Astro paint gun was well worth the money.

As for the fiberglass ..... all the FG parts were garbage.  Just fixing the parts should qualify for the 50% rule.  I used UV smoothprime from PolyFiber on all the FG parts .... spruce carries it.  My 'painting' steps were grinding/sanding, smoothprime, sanding, (sometimes multiple coats), Sherwin Williams primer and then color top coat. 
Just like riveting, the more I painted the better the results.
Linn

On 12/4/2016 9:25 AM, Bill Watson wrote:

Quote:
I used Loehle's fiberglass filler and liked it.  Used different products for the rest of the paint job.

Slightly OT but consider this; There are lot's of very good aircraft and non-aircraft coating systems out there with many different characteristics.  Whatever you choose, try to find a local distributor that you can buy through, but more important, one that can support you through the paint process.  I found that a Dupont distributor that was within driving distance was invaluable.   I also befriended a neighbor who owned a truck paint shop.   Neither knew beans about aircraft but they did know paint - which was the perfect complement for this first time painter.  Sometimes I drove there more than once a day.   I found learning to paint an iterative process that benefited from some local support. If lucky, you can use their curiosity about your project to get them to teach you a bit about their industry.

(After some post-build fiberglass work where I  used Prestec's polyester filler, I'm thinking I should have used that for most of my fill work - has anyone else used Prestec on the '10?  The stuff is a quantum improvement over everything else I've used in terms of ease of use and effectiveness but don't know if suitable for the '10 top.)

Happy Finishing!

Quote:
RV-10ers,

Regards,
Nick Gautier
N363TG reserved

www.avast.com

thomas.n.gautier(at)jpl.n

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Loehle aircraft and airplane paint Reply with quote

Vernon and Linn,

Thanks for the info. I am looking around at alternate paint systems, though I was happy with the results I got with Loehle on my fiberglass.

John Miller (thanks, John) offered to look in on Loehle to see what’s up. So perhaps we will know the whole story soon.

Nick Gautier
N363TG reserved

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote
Time: 09:05:47 AM PST US
From: Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)>
Subject: Re: Loehle aircraft and airplane paint

I placed an order with Sandy at Loehle back in September. I received
everything but my Wonderfill, it was marked as backordered.
I tried contacting them in October and November to find out where my order
was, and never could get in touch with anyone.
My gut tells me they have just quietly shut the doors, and not notified
their customers.

I have used their product to completely prep and prime the plane. I am not
to happy with it, as it orange peeled pretty much the entire project. It
is going to require some elbow grease to smooth things out before I paint.
But I want to finish the plane and get in the air for a year or so before I
paint, in case I want to do any post-build modifications.

I am not sure what you are needing at this point, but I found a good
replacement for Wonderfill was Dolphin Glaze. Takes a little more sanding,
but fills the pinholes, scratches, and imperfections a little easier than
bondo. Here
<https://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-0714-Self-Leveling-Polyester-Finishing/dp/B00
38D8KXU>
is
what I used to finish things up, my local paint supplier carries it for
around $10.

I have played with some paint, I decided to go with what Vans uses; Valspar
852 Polyurethane. This is a fantastic product, and looks great, see the
metallic blue on my pants and spinner. When I finally decide to paint the
whole plane, this is what I will be going with.

Attaching an image of what things look like right now.

Good luck!

Vernon

[image: Inline image 1]

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote
:

Quote:

No data on Loehle ......
I cleaned the aluminum parts with lacquer thinner and then acid etched
just prior to painting the primer. I used Sherwin Williams acrylic ename
l
Quote:
automotive paint (FPC135W which is their white fleet paint) and the FP410
primer. I did not want to use the two stage base coat/clear coat because
I
Quote:
saw what the professionals produced on lots of cars on the road.
Linn

Quote:
RV-10ers,

After some years of building and lurking on the list I am ready to
paint my =9910. I have been using Loehle Aircraft primers for the 
fiberglass
Quote:
Quote:
parts and I would like to do the same for painting the metal. However I
have been unsuccessful in contacting Loehle Aircraft by telephone nor
e-mail after repeated attempts over the last two weeks. Does anyone know
if
Quote:
Quote:
something has happened to Loehle Aircraft?

Also, do you listers have suggestions (of course you do) for a
different, easily usable paint system in case I can=99t get more L
oehle
Quote:
Quote:
material?

Regards,
Nick Gautier
N363TG reserved

=

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Loehle aircraft and airplane paint Reply with quote

Yes
On 12/4/2016 9:52 AM, Linn Walters wrote:
Quote:
I also had to deviate from the info sheets to really thin the paint
to get a much better flow.
A lot of the published specs are driven by important VOC control

requirements. Commercial shops really need to obey them for the common
good. As a first timer/one timer you can give yourself some rookie help
by looking under the specs and finding out where a little extra thinning
will let you get the results you want without a year's apprenticeship at
the local autobody shop.

Quote:
Just like riveting, the more I painted the better the results.

---
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: